Week 5: VIKINGS (1-3) at Seahawks (4-0)

swede700

3 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

yeah...4th downs aren't gonna work all the time. They were 2/3 on 4th down conversions for the entire game, that's pretty decent. The first two 4th down conversions helped in sustaining the drives and resulted in TD, FG...this one failed. People always used to complain last few seasons about Zimmer being conservative and now it's the opposite. I am fine with this approach, hope he doesn't change this new approach just because of that failed conversion in the end.

Plays are made in context. Going for it there didn't make sense, given the context. You can want Zimmer to be more aggressive, and still want him to not be aggressive given the context. 

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

The Vikings 4 losses have been to teams that are a combined 15-2. This team will win some games. They may be able to claw their back to .500.

2 of those were very winnable games which they just threw it away...considering there are 7 playoff spots, they might still have a chance if they can finish in 2nd place in NFC North

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Plays are made in context. Going for it there didn't make sense, given the context. You can want Zimmer to be more aggressive, and still want him to not be aggressive given the context. 

Wouldn't they have basically sealed a win if they made it?

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

Sure. And? They could also not make it, and then lose if they give up a TD....

I don't think going for win is a terrible decision when they should have had a decent chance of converting 

It's like making an outfielder make a perfect throw to the plate instead of the runner staying at 3rd with 2 outs

5 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't think going for win is a terrible decision when they should have had a decent chance of converting 

It's like making an outfielder make a perfect throw to the plate instead of the runner staying at 3rd with 2 outs

Is it? They'd already had one series where they failed on second and one and third and one.... They could have gone up by eight. That's very good odds of winning. I guess we'll just disagree. But Zimmer isn't a winner. They are now going to have more years not in the playoffs than in... Iirc

Edited by PrplChilPill

1 minute ago, PrplChilPill said:

Is it? They'd already had one series where they failed on second and one and third and one.... They could have gone up by eight. That's very good odds of winning. I guess we'll just disagree. But Zimmer isn't a winner. They are now going to have more years not in the playoffs than in... Iirc

They were running pretty well on that drive. I wouldn't have had that particular run call .

Getting a first down would have almost guaranteed a win. I guess I just wouldn't trust the defense to stop Wilson which they didn't.

We'll see how the rest of the year goes. I'll more than likely be ready to move on also but I don't blame him for that call at all

Why??? Another 1 point loss -- just insane. What is the deal with having to play in Seattle every season. I'm sick to death of losing to them over and over and over again. I'm starting to hate the Seahawks and I used to like them. What kind of jinx is responsible for this loss? This game killed me. That Wilson INT should have been it. Zimmer did blow that 4th down call whether or not you agreed with it. Bailey was 2/2 and had a chip shot. The worst that could have happened is he misses and then Wilson still has to go down the field and score a TD to win. If Bailey hits the FG we have an 8 point game. I saw that either way the Vikings had a 98-97% chance to win -- EITHER WAY -- HOW DO YOU BLOW THIS?

21 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I would have been ok with a field goal but if Seattle got the ball first on OT I think it would have been game over and have a bunch of posts about Zimmer not playing for the win

That's if Seattle had converted a 2 pt conversion AND making Seattle go up the field again in OT to win as you presume would happen (yes all of that would have been possible). I get the call -- I do, but it was the wrong call. If it wasn't we wouldn't be having this conversation. The call was the difference maker. Hindsight is 20/20 and we all get that, but he's got to live with that call. I think there's plenty of blame to go around for this game, but that call really sealed it. I won't hold it against Zimmer beyond this game as I like him, but this loss is a lot on him.

Asking your offense to go win the game on 4th and 1 was the right call. It’s easy to second guess the call after it failed to work. But it was still the right call.

Nothing about this game falls on Zimmer. This loss is on the players and their failure to execute. 

It sucks being 1-4, when they really should be 3-2, and riding a string 3 game winning streak. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 7