Week 5: VIKINGS (1-3) at Seahawks (4-0)

swede700

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

Do you think that the Vikings would have been favorites to win overtime?

The fact is what did Seattle want the Vikings to do on that 4th and 1?  Go for it.  Why?  Because it gave them quickest chance to win the game outright.

No way Seattle was like, gosh I hope they kick the ball here and make it an 8 point lead and a potential OT game only if we score and get a two point conversion.  

43 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

The fact is what did Seattle want the Vikings to do on that 4th and 1?  Go for it.  Why?  Because it gave them quickest chance to win the game outright.

No way Seattle was like, gosh I hope they kick the ball here and make it an 8 point lead and a potential OT game only if we score and get a two point conversion.  

You didn't answer the question.  You should take up politics 

How confident were they in stopping the vikings? If the Vikings kick the field goal Wilson gets a chance.  When the vikings decided to go for it,  there was a decent that Wilson would have 0 chance to win the game

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Do you think that the Vikings would have been favorites to win overtime?

Do you think Seattle would have automatically made the 2pt conversion? 

It took them 4 tries just to get the TD. 

Edited by babababa

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I don’t agree. They were scared. Pretty much any situation where you have an opportunity to win the game by gaining 1 yard, going for it is justifiable.

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

So you would rather lose the game then, I see.  

No way was that the correct choice, especially considering you have rookie corners out there who cannot hold up.  Kick the field goal and make Seattle do two difficult things, not just one.   Maybe if there was a crazy crowd there or something on the road, go for it, but going into OT is not a bad thing with how they were playing overall with no crowd.  Create scramble situations for Russell Wilson on the last drive to potentially win the game outright, not a great idea at all.  

Oh you cannot give him the ball back?  Well fact is you will give Russell Wilson the ball back in both of those situations unless you made the first down.  Difference is one he has the ball with a chance to win, the other he has the ball with only a chance to tie and even that is only after the two point conversion.  So basically they have to score twice in a red zone situation. 

PS if they were running the ball so well on that possession they would have never gotten to the 4th down by the way, they would have already got it or got into the end zone.    

Of course getting stopped on 4th down decreases your chances of winning, but over the last 20 years, teams have converted 4th and 1 65 percent of the time. You're not really acknowledging the likelihood that you convert that first down.

As far as running the ball well, there was holding call on that set of downs, so they had already run for 19 yards in the previous 3 downs.

Edited by Worm Guts
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

Of course getting stopped on 4th down decreases your chances of winning, but over the last 20 years, teams have converted 4th and 1 65 percent of the time. You're not really acknowledging the likelihood that you convert that first down.

As far as running the ball well, there was holding call on that set of downs, so they had already run for 19 yards in the previous 3 downs.

This is right but I have to believe the Vikings chances of converting was higher than the average conversion percentage of 4th and 1 over the last 20 years. The Seattle defense was exhausted. The Vikings were running the ball very well. Most importantly, 4th and a foot is a lot easier than many 4th and one yard scenarios. If you look at the average conversion percentage of 4th and a foot or less and you probably see over a 75% conversion rate. Top that with how the exhausted defense is and a 80% success rate would not be unreasonable to expect.

Sadly, the Vikings fell into the other 20%. Still, they were left with a chance for their defense to get the stop.

Had they kicked the FG, they had a slightly higher chance of getting a stop. Seattle would have had a shorter field but also would have needed to make the two point conversion.

I think the chances of winning that game were dramatically higher going for the 4th and inches than they would have been by kicking the FG. That doesn't mean that kicking the FG wouldn't have worked, but it is wise to go with what gives the highest probability of victory.

I would go with the path that keeps the ball out of a near peak hall of fame QBs hands. I side heavily with going with the 4th down conversion.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 3

If Leslie Frazier were the head coach, he would have kicked the FG and likely lost the game (as happened 5 some times that one season) and people would have complained about his conservative nature...Zimmer does something unorthodox (for him anyway) and is aggressive and tries to put the nail in the coffin, but it doesn't work out and they lose...and people complain about the choice.  

If I were in the position, I'd probably be more likely to take the FG and put the Seahawks in position to have to get the 2pt conversion to tie it.  But I have no significant issue with the decision to go for it.  It was 4th and 1 inside the 10...and it was raining.  There's too much that could have gone wrong on even a kick.  People complaining about the decision really are just looking to complain about something because it ended in a loss.  The more questionable decision was the going for 2 earlier.  That's the decision to question, not this one. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The more questionable decision was the going for 2 earlier.

I think going for 2 to try and tie the game was the right decision. 

To me, the biggest question was the decision to not go for 2 after regaining the lead. A 5 point lead with an extra point or a 4 point lead after a failed conversion yield essentially the same thing. But a successful conversion would give you a 6 point lead, and safer position. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If Leslie Frazier were the head coach, he would have kicked the FG and likely lost the game (as happened 5 some times that one season) and people would have complained about his conservative nature...Zimmer does something unorthodox (for him anyway) and is aggressive and tries to put the nail in the coffin, but it doesn't work out and they lose...and people complain about the choice.  

If I were in the position, I'd probably be more likely to take the FG and put the Seahawks in position to have to get the 2pt conversion to tie it.  But I have no significant issue with the decision to go for it.  It was 4th and 1 inside the 10...and it was raining.  There's too much that could have gone wrong on even a kick.  People complaining about the decision really are just looking to complain about something because it ended in a loss.  The more questionable decision was the going for 2 earlier.  That's the decision to question, not this one. 

This is why I'm happy he did go for it. Zim is overly conservative and has cost the Vikings plenty of games.  I'm still upset with the play call of run on the right side when the left side of OL was getting push all game. Side note what was going on the Vikings  blitzing on that last drive? They kept bumping into other defenders.     

6 minutes ago, babababa said:

I'm finding it funny that people are complaining about the people who complained about the 4th down call and then proceed to complain about something else.

Whatever...On to the next game. 

On to Cincinnati...or Atlanta, in this case.