We're at the quarter point of the season, your thoughts/takes?

MikeT14

Haskins obviously has a ways to go, if he even gets there.  But he is only a piece of the problem despite him being under the spotlight.

Haskins aside, the running game, secondary and linebackers need to be sorted out.   I am a little surprised we haven't found a better fit at some of the lbs, but the other stuff like oline and lack of talent in secondary were all things I could have told you needed help 6 months ago. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Haskins obviously has a ways to go, if he even gets there.  But he is only a piece of the problem despite him being under the spotlight.

Haskins aside, the running game, secondary and linebackers need to be sorted out.   I am a little surprised we haven't found a better fit at some of the lbs, but the other stuff like oline and lack of talent in secondary were all things I could have told you needed help 6 months ago. 

Thats whats disgruntled me. The holes have been glaring for ages and nothing gets done. Trade deadline isnt till the 29th. No rumblings, no hustling mentioned anywhere on acquiring or getting rid of anyone. Just sitting content.

Today ends the Premier Leagues trade deadline. The movements made from teams trying to be the best and add depth are insane.

zXBDl23.jpg

We lose our Oline anchor and its, "Eh, well make do." Content sitting on their hands and riding out season after season with only the draft to rely on for upgrading.

But its not just us. Its 90% of the teams. They dont care because theyre making mountains of money. And a team is just a corporate investment. But if Mahomes wants to throw to a certain receiver. KC is a team that will do whatever to try to make that deal happen. Here. They couldnt care less the lines in worse shape than any point in our history. Theyre going to stick to it and "Make do" till the season ends. Where very little has ever gotten done.

24 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Thats whats disgruntled me. The holes have been glaring for ages and nothing gets done. Trade deadline isnt till the 29th. No rumblings, no hustling mentioned anywhere on acquiring or getting rid of anyone. Just sitting content.

Today ends the Premier Leagues trade deadline. The movements made from teams trying to be the best and add depth are insane.

zXBDl23.jpg

We lose our Oline anchor and its, "Eh, well make do." Content sitting on their hands and riding out season after season with only the draft to rely on for upgrading.

But its not just us. Its 90% of the teams. They dont care because theyre making mountains of money. And a team is just a corporate investment. But if Mahomes wants to throw to a certain receiver. KC is a team that will do whatever to try to make that deal happen. Here. They couldnt care less the lines in worse shape than any point in our history. Theyre going to stick to it and "Make do" till the season ends. Where very little has ever gotten done.

Especially as the nfc east picture continues to look wide open.  Then you have moses start getting nicked and he was the only guy really looking good.

Yeah at this point the staff should recognize it is a problem and likely going to get bigger as injuries pile up.  Spend some money.  Make a trade.  Heck I kind of even think it would make sense to make a lateral move on oline if we got some guys who stunk at pass blocking but could at least open up holes in the run game.  

As a team: 

Name change hasn't changed the performance on the field.

Defense executes bend and break defense almost to perfection. (Minus when our defensive line gets to the QB)

Our defensive front is dangerous. Unfortunate Matt when down for the year because it appears he was the anchor for us. 

We have the worst Safety tandem in the league. Apke is a huge part of this, but Landon Collins misses too many Tackles and constantly is out of position in coverage. 

Our CBs have been surprisingly good. 

Our LBs are largely underwhelming. The fact that Cole Holcombe couldn't crack the starting lineup doesnt make me anymore optimistic when he returns.

Our special teams as a whole has been terrible. All the while our MVP Tress Way is still doing good things. Hopkins needs competition and we need a legit return threat. 

Our QB is currently a bottom 5 QB. Mental mistakes, mechanical mistakes and appears to be playing scared of taking chances. (Threatening to bench him probably helps a bunch here) Still, there is hope. Some progression is better than none.

Our RB room should consist of only one player, Antonio Gibson. He needs to see ALL the snaps. Treat him like McCaffrey and see what he can do. McKissic's fumble was the start of an uphill battle for us this past sunday and they kept trying to force feed him the ball for whatever reason.

We have the worst TEs in the NFL. Logan Thomas is being used as a 1st option in the passing game...  To effectively run the offense we have, we need a George Kittle type and we got molasses legs and stone hands Logan Thomas. 

Our offensive line has had some good moments and some really really bad moments. The fact that Morgan Moses is our best offensive lineman is not a good sign. Unfortunately I would not sign Scherff to a lucrative contract extension either. I would be throwing his name around right now to gather value for a possible transition tag deal.

Our WR group is Terry McLaurin. If he could throw the ball to himself we would be set. In fact putting him in the wildcat couldn't hurt. Harmon being hurt took away one of Haskins favorite targets. Steven Sims is really starting to look like a JAG. Inman is supposed to be a #2 and he looks like a #4. 

Our coaching staff:

I like the defensive schemes that JDR has cooked up. I think the players are severely underperforming on the back end. I like the pressure we put on opposing QBs and I look forward to Chase Youngs return.

Ron Rivera has been a complete mixed bag. One could compare his performance to Dwayne Haskins. Even the simplest stuff, like time management and situational awareness have not been good, but the players clearly respond well to his coaching and if he didnt have health issues going on maybe he could be more clear headed. 

Scott Turner seems to be preaching managing the game over winning the game right now on offense. The idea of dink and dunk when you are down a bunch of points does not good towards my opinion of his offense. 

All in all, we have a bunch of players no one wants and a few superstars. It's clear that the goal isnt wins this year, as much as it's to find who fits with RRs team philosophy. I know that most of us want instant satisfaction, but there are few teams that can have that kind of turnaround and they usually have to spend big or hit big in the draft to do it, we chose neither. 

• Like 3

It’s what I expected except for the fact that I thought we’d be running the ball more than we are. 

@RSkinGM summed it up well, “They are who we thought they were!”

I said all along I thought we’d go 5-11 - mot of us thought around the same or worse. I expected Haskins to have ups and downs in his development as he hasn’t even started 16 games in the NFL yet. I expected our receivers to be inconsistent outside of Terry which has happened. I wish Steven Sims didn’t have his toe injury that’s disappointing because I think Haskins misses him especially in the slot.

I expected our DL to be solid and dominate at times - which it has. I expected our LBs to be average or below and our corners to be good but our safeties to struggle in coverage especially after we shockingly cut Sean Davis in favor of Apke.

What’s been concerning to me is our tackling in the open field. On film a lot of it looks like poor effort & form which isn’t acceptable.

I’m especially disappointed in Landon Collins tackling on D. Everyone expects Collins to struggle in coverage down the field but he’s missed a lot of tackles which isn’t acceptable at all bc that’s his strong suit.

We came into the season with lots of questions:

1. Who could potentially step up as a second option to Scary Terry?
  2. Would the offensive line be able to get any push for the run game?
  3. Would the offensive line be able to sustain a decent amount of pass blocking?
  4. Would the lack of a true offseason hurt this team?

At the quarter pole, answers are

1. No one.
  2. No.
  3. No.
  4. Yes.

The defense looks decent, but they're starting to get run down, both from injuries as well as the team losing the time of possession game.

The simple fact is that they are not good. One question that I have had answered in a way I am somewhat upset about is "Is Ron Rivera the right person to lead this franchise?" Some very odd time management calls and weird choices to kick field goals make me wonder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

As a team: 

Name change hasn't changed the performance on the field.

Defense executes bend and break defense almost to perfection. (Minus when our defensive line gets to the QB)

Our defensive front is dangerous. Unfortunate Matt when down for the year because it appears he was the anchor for us. 

We have the worst Safety tandem in the league. Apke is a huge part of this, but Landon Collins misses too many Tackles and constantly is out of position in coverage. 

Our CBs have been surprisingly good. 

Our LBs are largely underwhelming. The fact that Cole Holcombe couldn't crack the starting lineup doesnt make me anymore optimistic when he returns.

Our special teams as a whole has been terrible. All the while our MVP Tress Way is still doing good things. Hopkins needs competition and we need a legit return threat. 

Our QB is currently a bottom 5 QB. Mental mistakes, mechanical mistakes and appears to be playing scared of taking chances. (Threatening to bench him probably helps a bunch here) Still, there is hope. Some progression is better than none.

Our RB room should consist of only one player, Antonio Gibson. He needs to see ALL the snaps. Treat him like McCaffrey and see what he can do. McKissic's fumble was the start of an uphill battle for us this past sunday and they kept trying to force feed him the ball for whatever reason.

We have the worst TEs in the NFL. Logan Thomas is being used as a 1st option in the passing game...  To effectively run the offense we have, we need a George Kittle type and we got molasses legs and stone hands Logan Thomas. 

Our offensive line has had some good moments and some really really bad moments. The fact that Morgan Moses is our best offensive lineman is not a good sign. Unfortunately I would not sign Scherff to a lucrative contract extension either. I would be throwing his name around right now to gather value for a possible transition tag deal.

Our WR group is Terry McLaurin. If he could throw the ball to himself we would be set. In fact putting him in the wildcat couldn't hurt. Harmon being hurt took away one of Haskins favorite targets. Steven Sims is really starting to look like a JAG. Inman is supposed to be a #2 and he looks like a #4. 

Our coaching staff:

I like the defensive schemes that JDR has cooked up. I think the players are severely underperforming on the back end. I like the pressure we put on opposing QBs and I look forward to Chase Youngs return.

Ron Rivera has been a complete mixed bag. One could compare his performance to Dwayne Haskins. Even the simplest stuff, like time management and situational awareness have not been good, but the players clearly respond well to his coaching and if he didnt have health issues going on maybe he could be more clear headed. 

Scott Turner seems to be preaching managing the game over winning the game right now on offense. The idea of dink and dunk when you are down a bunch of points does not good towards my opinion of his offense. 

All in all, we have a bunch of players no one wants and a few superstars. It's clear that the goal isnt wins this year, as much as it's to find who fits with RRs team philosophy. I know that most of us want instant satisfaction, but there are few teams that can have that kind of turnaround and they usually have to spend big or hit big in the draft to do it, we chose neither. 

The Rock Applause GIF

The only thing I would say differently is keep in mind that Steven Sims is hurt. He has a toe injury, I don’t know if he hurt it week 1 or 2, but it was noticeable he wasn’t himself vs the Browns bc of his toe injury and he didn’t play agains the Ravens.

I too have been pleased by our corners, I expected them to be better than what most thought but I didn’t expect them to be this good. I know I sound like a broken record but it’s Still frustrating to me that our #3 and 4 corners are playing like #2s and our FS is playing like the worst safety in the league and DelRio/Rivera won’t move Fuller who has FS experience to FS, bench or cut Apke and start Moreau or Moreland at CB opposite Darby. Not making moves like that just makes me think they don’t even want to win and they’re tanking to get another top 5 pick next year.

Which is fine, but it’s frustrating bc at the same time it seems you can improve our D & safety play rather easily by making that one move.

Edited by turtle28

Thought the offense would be putrid - I was right. No argument here  

Thought the defense would be decent - I was wrong. They haven’t been put in the best situation, but they’ve given up 30+ in 3/4 games. There are constant breakdowns in the secondary and the tackling has been subpar. Yes - they can rush the passer, but not enough to hide their deficiencies. Hope this unit improvise as the season continues. 

• Like 1

RR is treating this regular season as training camp/pre-season. He wants to see what kind of players he has at the expense of these games. To me his attitude is if we win the games as I’m evaluating my roster, great!  He wants his players to learn on the job. He has a lot of faith in his coaches and if the players don’t improve as they’re being coached they won’t play or be on the team. 
Sometimes I think RR wasn’t the right choice for being the HC. I’m very confused on his coaching style. Does he feel if the player has some talent they can be coached up by his staff, That’s why he doesn’t sign high priced free agents. 

1 hour ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Thought the offense would be putrid - I was right. No argument here  

Thought the defense would be decent - I was wrong. They haven’t been put in the best situation, but they’ve given up 30+ in 3/4 games. There are constant breakdowns in the secondary and the tackling has been subpar. Yes - they can rush the passer, but not enough to hide their deficiencies. Hope this unit improvise as the season continues. 

We’ll never know, but if Haskins doesn’t throw those two bad ints over the middle against the Browns, I think our D only gives up 24 points and we lose 24-20 or even win the game.

The D wasn’t bad vs the Ravens except for a handful of plays and those plays sum up all the reasons you are talking about. We really could’ve beaten the Ravens or come close if Ryan Anderson had contained Jackson before he took off on his 50 yard run or any of our DBs could’ve talked him after 10 yards, if the ref calls a push off vs Andrews for when he pushed off on KPL on his 1st TD catch or if Apke had better coverage at FS vs Andrews.

It didn’t happen though but outside of our safety play I don’t think our D is bad and while our offense is not good, I think they’ll progress the rest of the season and will execute a lot better the second half of the year. Terry & Gibson are showing what weapons they can be, we need Steven Sims to get healthy so he can be that 3rd guy. 

I know Logan Thomas isn’t much, but he’s on pace to have a decent season actually. He did not play well vs the Ravens, but he has 13 receptions and a TD through 4 games. If he does that over the final 3 quarters of the season then, he’ll finish the season with around 50 recs and 4 TDs, maybe a little more of each if he has a good game or two in the final 12 games.

That being said, watching Hunter Hurst get 4 recs for 50 yards tonight just really grinds my gears. We could’ve had him and if we did now and Logan Thomas was his back up we wouldn’t be seeing TE as one of our top needs next offseason like we all knew it was last offseason while they didn’t address it.

I just hope we can sign Njoku or we get a TE in the draft who can come in and start bc Logan Thomas is a back up TE, he’s not a starter which all of us thought going into this season.

Edited by turtle28