Josh Allen vs Deshaun Watson

patriotsheatyan

Who will have a better career?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Watson or Allen

• Watson
    • Allen

I am high on Watson, but how are Allen's "weapons" all that special? Watson literally had a top 3 WR his entire career (until this season) in Hopkins, with a mixture of Kenny Stills and Will Fuller. Diggs is a top 15 WR, which certainly isn't Hopkins caliber. John Brown is a quality #2 option, but again, nothing spectacular. The Bills RB's are nothing special. It remains to be seen if Allen can keep this up, but so far this season he has been great and there's certainly an argument to put him over Watson at this point. That said, I'd like to see him do it a little longer before I'm comfortable putting him over Watson.  

To many people on this forum are prisoners of the moment. Allen is playing better right now but it's Watson based on all we've seen so far if we're projecting their career. Maybe this is a purple patch, or maybe this is Josh Allen v3.0 MVP Stud for the next decade.

I like seeing the Bills do well, and hopefully running the division, but let's have Allen maintain this for an entire season first.

Edited by Magnifico
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Oh wow. This is so disrespectful. It’s Deshaun and it’s not close at all. Put those weapons around Watson. Jesus. 

Watson went from having arguably the best WR in the NFL to a league average supporting cast and the results thus far have been pretty bad.

It's not like he's got bottom 5 weapons around him...there's a good amount of QBs who would trade what they have for Will Fuller, Brandin Cooks, Kenny Stills, and Randall Cobb. That's a perfectly fine WR room. It's not top end of the league but it's not a cast that would magically make a foolproof top 5 QB look painfully average. 

Watson was playing like a top 5 QB when he had the league's best receiver. Deandre Hopkins would make a lot of QBs look great. Now that he has league average weapons he hasn't played like a top 5 QB. He's a really good player but IMO he isn't this undisputed top 5 QB fixture for the next decade that most people make him out to be regardless of performance...to each their own I guess.

• Like 2

Just now, Ray Reed said:

Watson went from having arguably the best WR in the NFL to a league average supporting cast and the results thus far have been pretty bad.

It's not like he's got bottom 5 weapons around him...there's a good amount of QBs who would trade what they have for Will Fuller, Brandin Cooks, Kenny Stills, and Randall Cobb. That's a perfectly fine WR room. It's not top end of the league but it's not a cast that would magically make a foolproof top 5 QB look painfully average. 

Watson was playing like a top 5 QB when he had the league's best receiver. Deandre Hopkins would make a lot of QBs look great. Now that he has league average weapons he hasn't played like a top 5 QB. He's a really good player but IMO he isn't this undisputed top 5 QB fixture for the next decade that most people make him out to be regardless of performance...to each their own I guess.

Coaching and bad oline. It’s Deshaun. Put him with Mcvay and Issa over. Dudes smart and everything you want in a QB. His accuracy is better than Josh. 

3 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Coaching and bad oline. It’s Deshaun. Put him with Mcvay and Issa over. Dudes smart and everything you want in a QB. His accuracy is better than Josh. 

That oline was getting hyped up all offseason by Texans fans. They've invested some serious draft capital in guys like Tunsil, Howard, and Scharping - what doesn't help out the oline is Watson deciding to bail from the pocket and run around in circles for 5-6 seconds every time there's a bit of pressure instead of navigating the pocket and taking the short and intermediate throws the defense gives him.

The coaching thing is a built-in excuse that we'll hear about until someone else is coaching in Houston. But BoB is the coach in Houston right now and right now Deshaun Watson isn't playing like a top end QB in this league. saying "It's Deshaun" doesn't change that

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

That oline was getting hyped up all offseason by Texans fans. They've invested some serious draft capital in guys like Tunsil, Howard, and Scharping - what doesn't help out the oline is Watson deciding to bail from the pocket and run around in circles for 5-6 seconds every time there's a bit of pressure instead of navigating the pocket and taking the short and intermediate throws the defense gives him.

The coaching thing is a built-in excuse that we'll hear about until someone else is coaching in Houston. But BoB is the coach in Houston right now and right now Deshaun Watson isn't playing like a top end QB in this league. saying "It's Deshaun" doesn't change that

Coaching matters. If it want for coaching. Lamar Jackson could have been out the league by now. Sometimes talent can over come bad coaching! But at some point you do need it.. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I am high on Watson, but how are Allen's "weapons" all that special? Watson literally had a top 3 WR his entire career (until this season) in Hopkins, with a mixture of Kenny Stills and Will Fuller. Diggs is a top 15 WR, which certainly isn't Hopkins caliber. John Brown is a quality #2 option, but again, nothing spectacular. The Bills RB's are nothing special. It remains to be seen if Allen can keep this up, but so far this season he has been great and there's certainly an argument to put him over Watson at this point. That said, I'd like to see him do it a little longer before I'm comfortable putting him over Watson.  

This

7 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Coaching matters. If it want for coaching. Lamar Jackson could have been out the league by now. Sometimes talent can over come bad coaching! But at some point you do need it.. 

What’s with your weird tourette’s-y style tick where you have to backdoor insult someone’s team every time you post lmao

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

But Ravens fans specifically on this site blamed Josh when he was playing in a God awful offensive situation.

Don't you dare.

But yea, if Allen plays 12 more weeks at a similar or close level, he will move way up. 

Edited by wackywabbit

I was literally just thinking about this topic today. I’ll still slightly lean Watson, but I grant Allen has improved substantially this season and much more than I anticipated. 

This will end up being the new version of the Matt Ryan/Matt Stafford debate IMO. Allen has far more pure arm talent than Watson (although Watson doesn’t have a bad arm), but Deshaun is a far more polished QB. Allen has significantly closed the gap in that department though, and right now he’s playing at a higher level than Watson ever has, but it’s VERY early.