TL-TwoWinsAway

Grab Your Trusty No. 2...

... and tuck it behind your right ear, because you're Matt Patricia.

Please, humor me. Pretend for just one second that you woke up this morning in the body of Matty P, the head coach of the Detroit Lions. Your team just lost to the depleted New Orleans Saints and are entering the BYE week with a 1-3 record. The offense has failed to convert when it mattered the most, the defense has struggled to stop... well... anyone. The only performer you can hang your hat on right now is your... punter?

That being said, the season is still young. You will NOT be making any changes to the coaching staff, and Bob Quinn isn't willing to pull the trigger on a trade right now. What you have is what you have.

What personnel, scheme, or playcalling changes do you make?

What do you, Matt Patricia, do to turn this around?

Posted (edited)

I'd love to play this game...but I don't know how.  This team is depleted of any significant talent in the middle of the dline and middle of the field.  The offense isn't the issue, it's jumping out to quick, double digit leads. We could argue lack of a run game doesn't help the defense at all. So I guess, I'm going to get creative and move away from rushing 4 players only.  I'm going to start to disguise blitzes and blitz the crap out of the D and try to generate TO. I still have the issue of getting gashed in the middle of the field on the run, but I have to take away the pass since we can't stop the run.  With double digit leads, the other team will have to pass to win.  I have to take it away from them by not giving them all day to throw.

For offense, once the double digit lead is secured, I'm giving it to AP.  The other rb's are only going to be in to give AP a quick breather.  He's now my bell cow.  If I'm not averaging 4 yards a carry, we are throwing.

I am not taking the throttle off at all for 4 quarters.  You start creeping in to take away the run, I'm throwing it over the top.  I'm going to be incredibly aggressive, high tempo and I'm going to drop 50 on you every game because more than likely, you are going to drop 40 on me.

Then, if somehow I keep my job until next year...I will throw a fit until BQ gives me a legitimate DT.

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

I think we largely agree.

After re-watching some of the Saints' game, I'm convinced that this team isn't ready to run that 3-X defense. It's just not working. I feel like each time Brees saw the 3-man front, he just handed the ball to the RB and took the easy yards. It's just not working.

One big change I'd make immediately is run 4 DLinemen at all times. Period. Flowers fits as a high end RE and I like Hand at LE. Give me Shelton and Penisini at DT on non-passing downs. On passing downs, sub Nick Williams for Penisini and rotate Romeo/Julian Okwara in for Hand. Stop that friggin' run. I'd also blitz both Jamie Collins and Tracy Walker throughout the game, and mix up coverages with those blitzes. 

I'm not worried about the offense. If our defense improved, I feel like we'd be a pretty good team.

• Like 1

That being said, the season is still young. You will NOT be making any changes to the coaching staff, and Bob Quinn isn't willing to pull the trigger on a trade right now. What you have is what you have.

Damn you, TL. Damn you. This is pretty hard with this caveat. 

@LionArkie has done a good of a job as any at outlining what can be done with the current state of the roster. 

Offense: Keep running with AP as the bellcow and utilizing Swift in that Riddick role. Hopefully he'll be able to develop more and offer something that we have seen in the Saints for a long-time: a two headed monster in the backfield. Passing game - we have a very promising TE in Hockenson and a top 20 WR in KG. These guys should be getting the target shares of a Deandre Hopkins and the like. When the defenses are keying in we have Marvin, Danny and Quintez available to make plays. Marvin Hall... why tf are we not utilizing him like we did last year? He'd catch 2 balls for like 75 yards. We have arguably a top 3 arm in the league - we're better off with a deep passing attack. Force the defenses to defend the deep ball and then take what is given in the short to intermediate. We should not be playing conservative and safe when we have a lead. We know that the defense can't hold it so why pretend. 

Defense: Play Oruwariye and Okudah as the starters. Both guys are playing better than Trufant on a week to week basis. Rush 4+ every play. Dial up some blitzes and starting putting pressure on the opposing offensive lines and QB's. That whole contain game worked with Kyler who is only in his second year. It's not going to work at all for someone that has been around the league for a couple years. Brees had all day and we just got killed. Start mixing in more zone and get away from the m2m that we tend to run. 

If I can bend the rules ever so slightly and make just one trade - I'd call up my buddy Joe Judge and try to make a trade for Dalvin Tomlinson. He's young, effective as a pass rusher and against the run. He's on the last year of his rookie deal and is going to need to get paid. Giants are still several pieces away (including probably getting yet another new QB) and this would be adding a foundational piece for our defense in the short and long term. 

• Like 2

I take my trusty pencil and draw a nice picture of someone shedding a block and another one of someone making a tackle. Then I post them in the locker room and hope someone gets it

• Like 2

Given Quin wont make a trade I will ask him to sign a couple guys.  Bring in Cameron Wake and Jabal Sheard.  Bring in Tramon Williams and Ha Ha CLinton Dix.  Maybe throw in Nigel Bradham.  Then I would blitz, a lot.  Put pressure on their QB because our DBs can't cover for 5 seconds.  But pressure on their RBs to make the right reads.  If you dont have the talent to get to the QB with 4, you have to send more.  Get creative and get pressure some how.  

On offense I would keep Crosby at RT and Vatai and Dahl can battle for RG.  I would run Swift more as he has had the higher YPC other than week 1 but is not getting touches.  AP is a solid rotational piece but he doesnt have the HR threat he used to.  Swift does and is better in the pass game which is where we need to utilize our RBs more.  

• Like 3

If I’m Matt Patricia I keep doing what I do and report to the podium after each game and state the obvious that there’s allot of work to do. 🤠

As others have suggested Crosby at LT and see if Vitai can win the RG job.

AP is the back that is going to carry the ball using Swift in passing situations.

Run much more zone as the secondary can’t cover. Blitz, blitz, blitz and when it doesn’t work blitz some more.

LB.......LOL.   Put three bodies on the field and see if they can do anything effectively.

On offence I am going to ride Stafford's arm. 

At the end of the year I’m going to press for massive changes because there just isn’t enough talent on the team. The only players safe are Hockenson, Golladay, Jones, Coleman, Okudah, Swift, Jackson, Ragnow, Prater, Fox and Stafford if I can’t get value in a trade. The rest cut, trade, or keep if a solution isn’t evident.

The draft I want big uglies. DT, DE, OT and hopefully a MLB that can be effective in the NFL.

Frankly, when I go down the roster it’s frightening. They have totally destroyed the Lions.

Stafford, I would trade for the right return. This team won’t be successful during his career and I would like to see him have another opportunity elsewhere. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

i think we need another Cb(unless Coleman is back after the bye) sign a d-line/d-end we need to get pressure on the qb... also i believe we need to sign golladay to an extension during the bye(i know we could tag him after the season) but him & marvin jones are FA's after the season.  id call the browns and ask about OBJ/the Giants about Tate. we need another pass catcher. the younger guys haven't really done anything. you can see Stafford really only trust Jones, Golladay & to a lesser extent the TE's(combo of james & hock) 

Edited by flyguy1609
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

i think we need another Cb(unless Coleman is back after the bye) sign a d-line/d-end we need to get pressure on the qb... also i believe we need to sign golladay to an extension during the bye(i know we could tag him after the season) but him & marvin jones are FA's after the season.  id call the browns and ask about OBJ/the Giants about Tate. we need another pass catcher. the younger guys haven't really done anything. you can see Stafford really only trust Jones, Golladay & to a lesser extent the TE's(combo of james & hock) 

The Browns have to feel that they're on the upswing. I'd expect them to be buyers instead of sellers. If they aren't totally convinced on Mayfield then I can see them as a potential Stafford trade destination. They have an effective pair of rushers in Hunt/Chubb and they have the weapons on offense in OBJ, Landry, Hooper, Njoku and several pieces on defense. They're in a really tough division but they can be a challenge if they get solid QB play. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

The Browns have to feel that they're on the upswing. I'd expect them to be buyers instead of sellers. If they aren't totally convinced on Mayfield then I can see them as a potential Stafford trade destination. They have an effective pair of rushers in Hunt/Chubb and they have the weapons on offense in OBJ, Landry, Hooper, Njoku and several pieces on defense. They're in a really tough division but they can be a challenge if they get solid QB play. 

Totally agree i doubt obj gets traded during the season. Mayfield looks like a different qb this yr. the browns would be dumb to trade him this yr but saw they may dangle him in trade before the deadline..

i feel like we need to do something at wr position i saw we have 5 wr's on the last yr of there deals.(note completely forgot about Danny A) but hes a fa as well. 

just saw the 49ers released Sanu. maybe go after him?

Edited by flyguy1609

Just now, flyguy1609 said:

Totally agree i doubt obj gets traded during the season. Mayfield looks like a different qb this yr. the browns would be dumb to trade him this yr but saw they may dangle him in trade before the deadline..

i feel like we need to do something at wr position i saw we have 5 wr's on the last yr of there deals.(note completely forgot about Danny A) but hes a fa as well. 

It wouldn't be out of the question for the Browns to add someone like Stafford and sit Mayfield and see if he can develop further. He could then become a trade piece or Browns QBOTF with a bit more seasoning. Cleveland would just be one option. Indianapolis could be another team that wants to take advantage of the division and their defense being far improved if they aren't satisfied with the QB play they're getting from Rivers. 

37 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

It wouldn't be out of the question for the Browns to add someone like Stafford and sit Mayfield and see if he can develop further. He could then become a trade piece or Browns QBOTF with a bit more seasoning. Cleveland would just be one option. Indianapolis could be another team that wants to take advantage of the division and their defense being far improved if they aren't satisfied with the QB play they're getting from Rivers. 

I dont think they would sit Mayfield with the plan to ever start him again, similar to Trubisky, once they get benched they are done there.  I think Stafford would be a solid addition to Tampa.  Brady will likely retire after this year or next, they have a solid foundation and Stafford is the type of QB that could step in and take them places.  Also their picks likely wont be top 10 so they would have more interest in moving one for a legit QB if Brady dips out. 

45 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

just saw the 49ers released Sanu. maybe go after him?

I think Danny A is solid as a third.  And Cephus still has potential.  I would rather see them play the young guys rather than someone like Sanu but if I am MP, I agree, I would likely try and add another weapon for Matt. 

On 10/5/2020 at 2:01 PM, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I think we largely agree.

After re-watching some of the Saints' game, I'm convinced that this team isn't ready to run that 3-X defense. It's just not working. I feel like each time Brees saw the 3-man front, he just handed the ball to the RB and took the easy yards. It's just not working.

One big change I'd make immediately is run 4 DLinemen at all times. Period. Flowers fits as a high end RE and I like Hand at LE. Give me Shelton and Penisini at DT on non-passing downs. On passing downs, sub Nick Williams for Penisini and rotate Romeo/Julian Okwara in for Hand. Stop that friggin' run. I'd also blitz both Jamie Collins and Tracy Walker throughout the game, and mix up coverages with those blitzes. 

This isn't a "I told you so!" post, but I found this snippet (from mlive) interesting:

"While they certainly blitzed more than usual, the Lions also deployed four defensive linemen with Jamie Collins -- and other linebackers -- riding the edge at an increased rate. Collins brought the heat a couple of times, while second-year linebacker Jahlani Tavai’s pressure helped force an interception. Jarrad Davis logged only 11 snaps but racked up three pressures and two tackles on those limited looks."

It sounds like they pretty much did just that: ran 4 defensive linemen and blitzed more with the LBs. They also used Jarrad Davis in a situation role, and it seemed to have paid dividends.

It does seem that Patricia is willing to tinker and adjust. It's great to see.

Looked to me like Minshew just blows.  Receivers were open all day.  That said I did like the change up I just don’t expect it to work against Atlanta, there going to light us up.

This week will be a quality showing if Coach Matt Patricia is a good or bad coach. He's had 2 weeks to prepare for an extremely average team. The defense is not good. The offense is average with only a couple play makers and the QB doesn't have a strong arm. 

It is away, but that's hardly an excuse right now.

Game plan should be stop the run, man up, blitz the line. 

Offensively it'd be the game to air it out. 

That's what I said about the Jags game and it should be the game plan for the next 2 or 3 games. It's a simple strategy that I think plays to Lions team strengths. Need to send the MLB more often on the blitz. Teams will start to run/bootleg/move the QB opposite of Jamie Collins.  

TL, I think, Mentioned a good starting line of Flowers/Shelton/Penisi/Hand. I like it, that'll be a tougher run defense. Davis or whoever is at MLB needs to come more often on a blitz.

Play Swift more. Realize the offensive line is pretty good and use it to force team will. Frank Ragnow is a really good player. Jonah Jackson and Big V are really good looking guards right now. Keep being physical. 

Keep winning the special teams battles. 

Edited by SimbaWho