Grab Your Trusty No. 2...

TL-TwoWinsAway

7 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

This isn't a "I told you so!" post, but I found this snippet (from mlive) interesting:

"While they certainly blitzed more than usual, the Lions also deployed four defensive linemen with Jamie Collins -- and other linebackers -- riding the edge at an increased rate. Collins brought the heat a couple of times, while second-year linebacker Jahlani Tavai’s pressure helped force an interception. Jarrad Davis logged only 11 snaps but racked up three pressures and two tackles on those limited looks."

It sounds like they pretty much did just that: ran 4 defensive linemen and blitzed more with the LBs. They also used Jarrad Davis in a situation role, and it seemed to have paid dividends.

It does seem that Patricia is willing to tinker and adjust. It's great to see.

My question is, why has it taken him so long to do this? Maybe he's a new member of the Lions forum and read our posts on how to win last week?

6 hours ago, LionArkie said:

My question is, why has it taken him so long to do this? Maybe he's a new member of the Lions forum and read our posts on how to win last week?

It's a good question. I think it speaks to his defensive preferences - he'd much rather rely on 3 stout DLinemen to stop the run and devote other resources to coverage - but made the adjustment when it was clear that the pieces he has won't allow that mentality to work.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

It's a good question. I think it speaks to his defensive preferences - he'd much rather rely on 3 stout DLinemen to stop the run and devote other resources to coverage - but made the adjustment when it was clear that the pieces he has won't allow that mentality to work.

Probably so, but I would think that would be an in game adjustment. Not wait until week 5 to say, hey...this isn't working.

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

Probably so, but I would think that would be an in game adjustment. Not wait until week 5 to say, hey...this isn't working.

It could be Patricia relinquishing more control of the defense to Undlin. Without an off-season and several returning players, it's possible that Patricia decided to hold onto the defensive scheme from 2019 and Undlin could make his stamp on things with extra time in the bye. I have absolutely nothing to back this up but it's not out of the realm of possibility given the changes. If we see a shift in the defense towards this new set up against Atlanta there might be more merit to this theory. 

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

Thats my thoughts as well.  I think it was obvious before the season just looking at our roster that 3 lineman wouldn't hold up.  I think in the Bears game when you let Trubisky look like he belongs in the NFL you would know.  When Brees looks like he is 50 and somehow he looks 25 against us, you would think you would know.  It was also an issue last year, and the year before that.  I think we have all been clamoring for some pressure and when we do it, it works.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

It could be Patricia relinquishing more control of the defense to Undlin. Without an off-season and several returning players, it's possible that Patricia decided to hold onto the defensive scheme from 2019 and Undlin could make his stamp on things with extra time in the bye. I have absolutely nothing to back this up but it's not out of the realm of possibility given the changes. If we see a shift in the defense towards this new set up against Atlanta there might be more merit to this theory. 

It's possible, but I think it's reaching.  I think the more likely thing is MP's ego saying my way will work, and eventually realizing it's not going to.  Of course I have nothing to back this up either, lol.

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Thats my thoughts as well.  I think it was obvious before the season just looking at our roster that 3 lineman wouldn't hold up.  I think in the Bears game when you let Trubisky look like he belongs in the NFL you would know.  When Brees looks like he is 50 and somehow he looks 25 against us, you would think you would know.  It was also an issue last year, and the year before that.  I think we have all been clamoring for some pressure and when we do it, it works.  

In fairness, Trubisky looked remarkably mediocre until he had McRae playing CB. The Bears struggled for the first three quarters of that game until the secondary was injured.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the Colts game thread but I guess it could apply here as well. 

The thing that worries me the most going forward is just lack of talent and player development. 

We have no WRs (besides Cephus who has been inactive) or LBs (besides Tavai and Collins) signed for next season. We have young OL talent but refuse to play Stenberg and keep rotating Vaitai/Dahl/etc with no success. We have money tied up at CB, but it's in Trufant/Coleman who have been injured and are really the only players that could clear money for capspace, but we aren't developing Okudah/Oruwariye quickly enough. We have nothing of value at safety. We don't use our TEs outside of Hockenson who makes two bad plays for every one good play. Jesse James, Hunter Bryant and Isaac Nauta are non-existent in our offense. 

If I'm Patricia, and I know no trades are on the horizon, I am working to develop the guys I have.

WR- Hall/Cephus/Agnew

RB- Swift/Johnson

TE- Hock/Bryant/Nauta

OL- Stenberg/Jackson

DL- Okwara/Penisini/????????

LB- ?????

CB- Okudah/Oruwariye

S- ?????? 

Run game is not working? Add in some screens and short yardage passes. Use your TEs and Amendola. Open up some angles for Agnew and Swift. If Golladay is going to be out for an extended period, work on getting Jones/Hall/Cephus going. 

Rush defense has been better. Penisini is playing well. Change up your defensive fronts. Stop rushing 3 on 3rd and short. Practice some damn tackling. I saw numerous occasions of tackles in the backfield where our guys just whiffed and the Colts gained good yardage. Start blitzing. For Godsake, if you cannot get pressure with 3 or 4 guys, so send more. Help your secondary out. 

I just see poor coaching in every phase on the field. Poor play calling. Poor player development. Poor talent evaluation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I posted this in the Colts game thread but I guess it could apply here as well. 

The thing that worries me the most going forward is just lack of talent and player development. 

We have no WRs (besides Cephus who has been inactive) or LBs (besides Tavai and Collins) signed for next season. We have young OL talent but refuse to play Stenberg and keep rotating Vaitai/Dahl/etc with no success. We have money tied up at CB, but it's in Trufant/Coleman who have been injured and are really the only players that could clear money for capspace, but we aren't developing Okudah/Oruwariye quickly enough. We have nothing of value at safety. We don't use our TEs outside of Hockenson who makes two bad plays for every one good play. Jesse James, Hunter Bryant and Isaac Nauta are non-existent in our offense. 

If I'm Patricia, and I know no trades are on the horizon, I am working to develop the guys I have.

WR- Hall/Cephus/Agnew

RB- Swift/Johnson

TE- Hock/Bryant/Nauta

OL- Stenberg/Jackson

DL- Okwara/Penisini/????????

LB- ?????

CB- Okudah/Oruwariye

S- ?????? 

Run game is not working? Add in some screens and short yardage passes. Use your TEs and Amendola. Open up some angles for Agnew and Swift. If Golladay is going to be out for an extended period, work on getting Jones/Hall/Cephus going. 

Rush defense has been better. Penisini is playing well. Change up your defensive fronts. Stop rushing 3 on 3rd and short. Practice some damn tackling. I saw numerous occasions of tackles in the backfield where our guys just whiffed and the Colts gained good yardage. Start blitzing. For Godsake, if you cannot get pressure with 3 or 4 guys, so send more. Help your secondary out. 

I just see poor coaching in every phase on the field. Poor play calling. Poor player development. Poor talent evaluation. 

Fulgham: wtf...he's been a stud in Philly. What did the coaches not see to lead him to be cut. He went to Philly via GB so its completely on the Lions but he's ballin out in the midnight green and we can use someone like that on this offense.

• Like 1