Texans fire Bill O'Brien head coach/GM; Romeo Crennel to be interim

49erurtaza

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

*22 games.

He was basically interim GM in most of the time frame you are referring to. He was made the full time GM going forward this off-season. His decision making was supreme going back to last off-season.

But the ownership made him the full time GM this year after he made the puzzling decisions of 2019. After his blown loss to KC. They basically doubled-down on what BoB was selling. So it's 4 games.

EDIT: The argument is moot. Ownership was along for the ride and decided to give BoB the title of GM full time this off-season rather than reign him in. MAYBE they felt like hiring a GM with a coach they had a shortleash was a mistake, but if they had him on a leash you don't let him trade Hopkins. Like I said, they got a taste of what BoB was putting out and they doubled down. Then reversed course after 4 games.

Edited by CKSteeler
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Stopping you right here. Those winning seasons were when Jacksonville, Tennessee and Indy weren't fielding complete teams and were picking in the top 5-10 (since BoB's tenure started in 2014, the AFCS had two teams picking in the top 10 every year, with both Jacksonville and Tennessee picking in the top 5 in 2015, 2016 and 2017). 

what? jacksonville and tennessee both made the playoffs in 2017. hell, they both won playoff games! not to detract from your actual argument but the calendar is definitely off here lol

Just now, CKSteeler said:

He was basically interim GM in most of the time frame you are referring to. He was made the full time GM going forward this off-season.

No, he was part of what is referred to as a "flat organization" per Cal:

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Cal-McNair-Texans-now-a-flatter-organization-14114987.php

This was after BoB fired his GM. Again, answer me the last time a Coach fired a GM.

If you're ignoring all of this...then you're being obtuse at this point, and there's really no reason to continue this discussion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

what? jacksonville and tennessee both made the playoffs in 2017. hell, they both won playoff games! not to detract from your actual argument but the calendar is definitely off here lol

I meant the 2017 draft, not the 2017 season. (Fournette/Davis).

18 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I'm really just wondering why you go ahead and give a guy more power by making him GM and then fire him 4 games in. There's a lack of a long term plan in Houston, not that this is a surprise to anyone, but that starts with ownership. They let him do whatever he wanted and then canned him after a few games.

Well obviously this is true, which makes it the first true thing you've said in ~10 posts.

Something something broken clock something once in ~10 posts 

Congratulations to Houston for getting rid of the absolute worst game manager in the NFL. The bumbling buffoon who dropped F-BO(m)Bs constantly when his moronic ideas wouldn't go as planned, the same guy who cussed out fans who were fed up with said game management, the guy who would punt when he should go for it on 4th, and run fake punts on his own 30 with a multiple score lead because he failed miserably trying to copy the homework assignment of people who actually used analytics. 

BOB knew that sometimes you are supposed to go for it on 4th and that you were supposed to do it more than you thought you were supposed to, so that translated into making seemingly random decisions that just made everyone else laugh their ***** off. 

I'm trying to think of the next job he takes and I just can't picture it. Someone out there is getting foisted with BOB. Bless their poor souls 

@ET80 post your old sig about Bob and how he does football good and stuff 

Also, where are my BOB gifs? He's got some good ones. Smoke em if you got em 

Just now, ET80 said:

No, he was part of what is referred to as a "flat organization" per Cal:

https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Cal-McNair-Texans-now-a-flatter-organization-14114987.php

This was after BoB fired his GM. Again, answer me the last time a Coach fired a GM.

If you're ignoring all of this...then you're being obtuse at this point, and there's really no reason to continue this discussion.

GM's/coaches have power battles all the time. BoB didn't fire his GM, he just won over ownership. Which reinforces my point - ownership backed him every step of the way. You can hire a new coach and maybe you'll get lucky, but there's a lack of substance at the top of the organization.

• Like 1

GM's/coaches have power battles all the time. BoB didn't fire his GM, he just won over ownership. Which reinforces my point - ownership backed him every step of the way.

... which is also to say it's not just four games.

Thanks, that helps.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

... which is also to say it's not just four games.

Thanks, that helps.

It's four games since your ownership doubled down on some BoB. They loved them some BoB apparently until four games ago.

Do you have an actual counter argument for that? You don't seem to have an actual defense of them because you've been anti-BoB for a lot longer.

• Like 1

It's four games since your ownership doubled down on some BoB. They loved them some BoB apparently until four games ago.

Do you have an actual counter argument for that? You don't seem to have an actual defense of them because you've been anti-BoB for a lot longer.

They didn't just decide to fire him today. Today is just when Cal McNair finally grew a pair and decided to actually do it 

I think Watson was somehow involved. He has not been happy for some time now. Whether he voiced his opinion or they knew just from reading his body language, ultimately this move was made with Watson in mind 

Just now, N4L said:

They didn't just decide to fire him today. Today is just when Cal McNair finally grew a pair and decided to actually do it 

I mean, it's been months since they let him trade Hopkins so...

Maybe it's just the day Cal McNair got tired of listening to his wife complain about BoB.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Had they not loved him, they wouldn't have kept him around. Yes, we've established he was a favorite of the McNair family for a while. Not sure what you're arguing? What exactly did they double down on? Giving him a title, when he already had the responsibilities of the role?

It wasn't like they "doubled down" on it by giving him an extension or something, right? That GM title was a formality, was it not? So, not sure what doubling down on a formality is... But, please enlighten me.

11 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

Do you have an actual counter argument for that?

You're referencing semantics at this point. What's there to argue?

You: Four games in!

Me: He had 22 games with GM responsibilities.

You: But only four games as ACTUAL GM!

Me: He had the roles and responsibilities of a GM before the title, though.

You: But he only got the title now!

Me: But the actual job has been his since he pulled the rug from the other guy?

You: Double Down!

Me: By giving him a new title that aligns with his existing job function? No new contract? No new money? Just a new title to go with an old job?

You: Double Down!!!

I sincerely think you're just being obtuse. Which is fine, I really don't care.

• Like 3