Texans fire Bill O'Brien head coach/GM; Romeo Crennel to be interim

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, Drained said:

I think him and Easterby (the guy picking our next HC/GM) are really close, I know Easterby is friends with his agent. :(

I don't think Easterby is sticking around. He had to stay, because he does a lot of work with the teams' Covid response, can't really change that midstream...

Easterby will be let go by the end of the season.

I'm going to miss plays like handing off with 30 seconds left instead of taking a knee so you get a holding penalty and have to kick the ball back to Tampa.

It was the little stupidities that really made B O B stand out in the crowd.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 12:19 AM, CKSteeler said:

So they got a taste of what he was selling as GM, and then decided rather than than reign him in to give the title full time. Hence doubling down. This isn't complicated.

So... this is a topic I'd like to cover today. 

You're right - the Texans got a taste of O'Brien as a GM and then "doubled down" on that. You wanna know why?

Because O'Brien actually didn't do a bad job as a GM in the 2019 off-season. Let's investigate, shall we?

- Texans trade DE/OLB Jadevion Clowney for OLB Barkevious Mingo, DE/OLB Jacob Martin and a *2020 3rd round pick (later traded to Oakland for CB Gaeron Conley).

Verdict: Jadevion Clowney was expecting a deal in line with what DeMarcus Lawrence and Frank Clark received; Upon arriving in Seattle, Clowney had another underwhelming year rushing the passer, racking up three sacks for Seattle. Meanwhile, Martin managed to match those three sacks in a reserve role, Mingo was a key ST player and that 3rd round pick turned into a starting #2 CB. 

I hate to admit this, but O'Brien wins that trade - turning an underachieving DE/OLB into a key starter on defense, a key starter on ST and a primary rotational rusher is a good trade on his part. Everyone figured Clowney was traded as a discount - but watching his Seahawks tenure combined with his non-existent market this past off-season, it's understood that the market spoke for itself ultimately.

- Texans trade OL Martinas Rankin to Kansas City for RB Carlos Hyde.

Verdict: Both Rankin and Hyde were about to be cut, O'Brien and Veach had a chat about that. The Chiefs got a little used backup, the Texans found a 1,000 rusher. O'Brien wins this trade on the merit that he turned a piece of roster fodder into a key piece of the Texans offense.

- Texans trade a 2020 1st round pick, a 2021 1st round pick, a 2021 2nd round pick, CB Johnson Bademosi, OL Julie'n Davenport for LT Larmey Tunsil, WR Kenny Stills, a 2020 4th round pick and a 2021 6th round pick.

VerdictAnd here's the big one. The trade that sets up Tua Tagalovia for decades, the trade that sets Miami up for a long run. What were the Texans thinking? Simple, the Texans wanted a franchise LT.

And ...they GOT a franchise LT. Tunsil had the 3rd highest rated pass block grade per PFF last season, he immediately mentored rookie G Max Scharping and T Tytus Howard to great rookie seasons and immediately earned a Team Captain designation from his teammates. There were issues with penalties, but that seems to be cleaned up this year (0 penalties over the first month of the season to go along with 0 sacks). That's not even accounting for Kenny Stills, who has quickly turned into a very reliable WR for the team; 40/500 in 13 games isn't bad from a #3 WR, many figured he was a throwaway in this deal at most.

You could argue the Texans paid way too much. I won't argue that. You can argue the draft picks and extension were a lot for a LT - sure, that's reasonable to believe. What you can't argue is that Tunsil is not an elite LT. (And Stills is a great #3, don't forget that). The Texans did what it took to protect their starting QB (a guy who once had to ride a bus to Jacksonville instead of flying in, because his ribs and lungs were too damaged to get on a plane). They also found a good WR in all this.

So, given this body of work - two wins and an overpay for a significant need that actually answered the need - you could see how someone might think "hey, he might know what he's doing" as a GM. Hell, that was the sentiment here, he was a better GM than HC. That turned on its ear during the 2020 off-season, but who would know that would be the case given the track record laid out in 2019?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This is the greatest thing he's ever done for Houston - and he once raised $40mm for Hurricane Harvey relief.

I'm going 1 and 1A with the Harvey relief first, but I get you.

He also gave 350k to the Houston Food Bank in March to help during all this 2020 mess.

He has a charity that has raised over 5 million for after school programs.

He's a good dude.

• Like 1