Texans fire Bill O'Brien head coach/GM; Romeo Crennel to be interim

49erurtaza

39 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

I'm going 1 and 1A with the Harvey relief first, but I get you.

He also gave 350k to the Houston Food Bank in March to help during all this 2020 mess.

He has a charity that has raised over 5 million for after school programs.

He's a good dude.

It was mostly tongue-in-cheek, but yeah - Watt is a fantastic person on and off the field.

On 10/6/2020 at 7:41 PM, Joe_is_the_best said:

Eric Bieniemy is my #1 choice for Houston, but they’re gonna need a GM this time. A real GM. There has to be give and take between the coach and GM. Yes, the coach needs his players, but not at any cost. 

The way he uses Mahomes is so nice and refreshing, he's very creative. We need that finally.

We had a hint of what could be done with Watson in 2017 when playcalling was creative, then BoB had an offseason to look over things he thought he didn't need the wildcat plays anymore, the jet streams, the attacks over the middle, its back to the same offense with Tom Brady. Like Bill decided to regress for some reason.

Edited by Drained

6 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

If the team/offense isn't better under Crennel (LOL) then who do we start blaming next?

It's still BoB - it's hamstrung by that Hopkins trade, which isn't really something you can correct schematically. Tim Kelly catches blame for not really updating the scheme now that BoB is gone.

It also puts us in the spot of questioning how good Deshaun Watson really is. I think the next 12 games will tell us if he was a product of DeAndre Hopkins or if he's worthy of being the 2nd highest paid player in league history...

On 10/7/2020 at 6:56 PM, thebestever6 said:

I just don't know why they gave BOB so much power when the end has been near for a couple years now.

3rd for Duke Johnson

Two first for tunsil 

Traded the franchise wr

I mean what a dumb arse move

He literally makes Chip Kelly look good as a gm.

I think a lot of it has to do with confidence following the Jadevion Clowney trade.

The world thought that Clowney for a 3rd was robbery, but at the end of the day, BoB got a starting CB and a rotational pass rusher who was just as statistically effective as Clowney was (statistically effective, be mindful that's ALL I'm saying).

Duke Johnson was an overpay, Tunsil was an overpay (but was also an elite LT for the Texans). Carlos Hyde was a coup, not paying Clowney DeMarcus Lawrence/Frank Clark money and getting a starting CB out of that decision was another coup. It wasn't conventional GM work, it was risky - but batting .500 isn't really a bad thing.

Not saying I agree... but saying I can understand the false sense of confidence in giving BoB authority.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I think a lot of it has to do with confidence following the Jadevion Clowney trade.

The world thought that Clowney for a 3rd was robbery, but at the end of the day, BoB got a starting CB and a rotational pass rusher who was just as statistically effective as Clowney was (statistically effective, be mindful that's ALL I'm saying).

Duke Johnson was an overpay, Tunsil was an overpay (but was also an elite LT for the Texans). Carlos Hyde was a coup, not paying Clowney DeMarcus Lawrence/Frank Clark money and getting a starting CB out of that decision was another coup. It wasn't conventional GM work, it was risky - but batting .500 isn't really a bad thing.

Not saying I agree... but saying I can understand the false sense of confidence in giving BoB authority.

I get all that but the move felt so Chip Kelly last year with the Eagles like you're losing confidence in the guy as the head coach so let's give the guy power over everything so we can say he had no excuses. Just kinda feels childish and dumb.

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I get all that but the move felt so Chip Kelly last year with the Eagles like you're losing confidence in the guy as the head coach so let's give the guy power over everything so we can say he had no excuses. Just kinda feels childish and dumb.

Yeah, dumb is a fair way to analyze the situation. Nobody comes out as the smart guy in these Iast 18+ months.