Mike McCarthy is 2-6 with the Cowboys

PackGymRat

12 minutes ago, Norm said:

This is hilarious. When I argued this early in the season, when he wasn't doing well, it was "yeah but it's his offense." Happened multiple times when I said he wasn't the one calling plays. So when it can hurt him, he's just the HC, when it does well, he's not the OC. The OC is doing a great job, he cannot have any credit for that. The DC sucks, what a dumbass for having a bad OC. This isn't about mccarthy, this is all people's double standards for every damn thing when they want to be right. 

What I'm saying is that he is not just an OC. He's a head coach and responsible for hiring and firing the DC. He needs to get that right. I think you are misunderstanding me.

I haven't crticized him as OC except that he doesn't like to practice running the ball.

As you are defending him you are an apologist, but I referred to the apologists in years past, not to you.

1 minute ago, JaireAlex said:

What I'm saying is that he is not just an OC. He's a head coach and responsible for hiring and firing the DC. He needs to get that right. I think you are misunderstanding me.

I haven't crticized him as OC except that he doesn't like to practice running the ball.

As you are defending him you are an apologist, but I referred to the apologists in years past, not to you.

Read my most recent post too. But I also agree he should fire the DC. And it was a bad hire. They don't have a ton of talent but they shouldn't be this bad. I'll defend him when I feel like it's correct, not on everything. Which I would like to think excludes me from being an apologist?

Hell my defense of him was just based on the season stats not some crazy opinion about anything else.

Edited by Norm

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

McCarthy isn't calling plays in Dallas, so it will be hard to tell .. he kept Kellen Moore as OC and gave him those duties.

I think Jerry and the boys mandated Moore be kept around as continuity for Prescott.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Norm said:

I wasn't trying to be too argumentative, my point was just that there's plenty of things to **** on Mike for. He's an offensive minded coach and his offense is more than fine. It just felt weird for you to seemingly call that a mess. 

Dallas is still a mess.

I actually hoped Mac might fix that. Or at least I thought he might be better than Garrett: low bar. I have zero hope for that at all now. It's worse imo. Dallas won't be fixed til Jerry goes. MM is bringing the same myopia to Dallas that he had in GB. You can have the most beautiful offense in history. It won't win and Mac just doesn't have the first clue about how to fix the D. Mac should be an OC not a HC. The Russell Wilson show will be lucky to go 10-6 this year. I hope they go 5-11 cuz I hate the Seahawks.

I'm just realizing how bad MM was. He would be a good OC. I just don't think he can be a HC. And the NFL is funny that way. It's a small room, small community. They can all be blind in some ways. LIS it's very hard to be a good coach in all facets. I have some hope that MLF has it despite reaching for a RB in the 2nd.

Edited by JaireAlex

27 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I actually hoped Mac might fix that. Or at least I thought he might be better than Garrett: low bar. I have zero hope for that at all now.

My goodness. He's five games in.....and he's won 2 of them.
Its not like they were in last years SB. They didnt win the NFCE.

Edited by Leader

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

I think Jerry and the boys mandated Moore be kept around as continuity for Prescott.

Right-O, but injury or not, the problem with a MM led squad is the DC. He kept Dom around for far too long and, to a degree, he failed from 2006-2008 with Bob Sanders. Pettine was an obvious hire after MM finally realized his error in keeping Dom around for so long, but we've obviously had serious questions about Pettine as well. 

37 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I'm just realizing how bad MM was. He would be a good OC. I just don't think he can be a HC. And the NFL is funny that way. It's a small room, small community. They can all be blind in some ways. LIS it's very hard to be a good coach in all facets. I have some hope that MLF has it despite reaching for a RB in the 2nd.

Still a SB winning coach that, like Dom, was great the first couple of years but then dropped off(though not off a cliff a la Dom).

The head coach that kept a locker room for like 10 years? The head coach who had his team prepared after bye weeks? Whose teams were always in contention? 

Did he believe in his staff a little too much? Probably. Sometimes you may wish he had a little less loyalty to those guys and brought in some outside ideas. But you heard about like 4 guys being unhappy the whole time he was here.

Want to see a bad HC? Look at Patricia, O'Brien, Gase or Marrone. At least his system worked for more than a year, unlike Nagy or Kitchens. 

Mac falls short of being a great head coach because he harbors too much loyalty to his guys, he's definitely a good HC though.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Joe said:

Still a SB winning coach that, like Dom, was great the first couple of years but then dropped off(though not off a cliff a la Dom).

Agreed. It went to his head imo. He's really more of an OC. Can't make the tough cuts. Doesn't see the big picture. Most of all too fixed in his ways.

That said, I have real hope that MLF does get it. His turning around AR was very under appreciated. He as much as Gute did a great job quietly putting out the fire in GB.

We should know soon whether MLF can improve Pettine or upgrade him. I do think MLF will replace him if needed and if Murph allows him -- and can't see why not. And MLF wouuld hire someone like himself who can work with the pieces in place already.  .... I haven't given up on Pettine yet. This is a very good defensive locker room and two or even just one piece short of being special. Hate to see that wasted.

Edited by JaireAlex
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

The head coach that kept a locker room for like 10 years? The head coach who had his team prepared after bye weeks? Whose teams were always in contention? 

Did he believe in his staff a little too much? Probably. Sometimes you may wish he had a little less loyalty to those guys and brought in some outside ideas. But you heard about like 4 guys being unhappy the whole time he was here.

Want to see a bad HC? Look at Patricia, O'Brien, Gase or Marrone. At least his system worked for more than a year, unlike Nagy or Kitchens. 

Mac falls short of being a great head coach because he harbors too much loyalty to his guys, he's definitely a good HC though.

Semantics. I have higher standards. A "good" head coach does not deserve more than six years. He was good at what you say. But MM was treated like royalty when the only royalty we have was a QB in his prime, wasted. I grade harshly on coaches who are generally premadonnas and vastly overrated. LIS he's a good OC. TT dropped the ball too. TT is an excellent scout, shortcomings as GM. Still it's a top 10 FO at 1265.

And I don't subscribe to being grateful for a coach doing a mediocre job or a good job. He gets paid and paid much more than others who do vastly more important work and harder work too. At least at HS everyone knows coach is the dumbest teach in the room: or that used to be the case. Now they are all equally empty headed.

This will go down historically as a worse blunder than Marino. Marino was given more than Rodgers. That's on Mac mostly, then sleepy Ted.

4 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

Agreed. It went to his head imo. He's really more of an OC. Can't make the tough cuts. Doesn't see the big picture. Most of all too fixed in his ways.

That said, I have real hope that MLF does get it. His turning around AR was very under appreciated. He as much as Gute did a great job quietly putting out the fire in GB.

We should know soon whether MLF can improve Pettine or upgrade him. I do think MLF will replace him if needed and if Murph allows him -- and can't see why not. And MLF wouuld hire someone like himself who can work with the pieces in place already.  .... I haven't given up on Pettine yet. This is a very good defensive locker room and two or even just one piece short of being special. Hate to see that wasted.

It's going to be Dan Quinn in 2021.