Mike McCarthy is 2-6 with the Cowboys

PackGymRat

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

nope 

Marino had a number one defense in 1982. They are actually very comparable through their careers as opposed to Manning, Favre, Young, or Brees and esp Brady who had one of the best defenses year in and out for his whole career.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:38 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

Zat you The Donald? 

Sleepy Ted is the worst GM in the history of the league. That I can tell you. He was a total disaster. *someone makes a comment about his heroics in assembling the 2010 team* Look I don't like guys that build one year wonders and then get fired 6 years later. He was a total disaster, very sad!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Joe said:

Sleepy Ted is the worst GM in the history of the league. That I can tell you. He was a total disaster. *someone makes a comment about his heroics in assembling the 2010 team* Look I don't like guys that build one year wonders and then get fired 6 years later. He was a total disaster, very sad!

Not enough random capitalisation. 7/10 would read again. 

On 10/13/2020 at 5:29 AM, Spartacus said:

Even if McCarthy was overrated by Packers fans as a head coach the dude did win us a superbowl. This thread seems a little vindictive for a guy who literally did nothing wrong while coach of the Packers. 

I love Mike McCarthy. I will always love Mike McCarthy. We won a Super Bowl under his coaching and leadership, and it is so freaking hard to even get to that damn game. 

I can love Mike McCarthy for what he's done for us and still think he's overrated. Both things can be true. You guys are so quick to jump on people for "hating" on him but I'm not even saying he's a bad coach, that's immediately what people think when they see the word overrated.   

I hate the Cowboys with a passion and for the first time in my entire life, a small, tiny, itty bitty part of me wants them to win and it's because of Mac! I'm not vindictive in the slightest, and I will always love that man, I'm just speaking my mind! We have talked about this ad nauseum, the scheme and coaching clearly got stale. The relationships frayed over time. I had been calling for him to get fired for years and now look at us, we have risen from the ashes like a phoenix with a smart young head coach running a modern style of offense. One of my biggest criticisms of this organization was that we stuck by him for way too long, and one of my biggest criticisms of Mac was that he stuck by Dom Capers for way too long. Now he needs to pull the plug on Mike Nolan, let's see if he's learned his lesson. I hope he gets a fair shot in Dallas and shows his worth because he's a quality coach, but even quality coaches can lose their touch. It happens with players, coaches, GMs, it can happen to anybody. 

I'm only speaking for myself and not for any of the people in this forum that think he's bad, or overrated AND don't have any love or respect for him. I'm not one of those people, and frankly they need to respect what the man has accomplished with us. Those are your real "haters" 

• Like 2

"Jackson from Minneapolis, MN
Vic, I’ve always held Mike McCarthy in high regard. I loved him during his tenure in Green Bay and was sad to see him go. I really do wish him success in Dallas. Why does it seem like fans are obsessed with diminishing him as a coach?
It's guilt. They want to see him lose so it'll justify their criticism and remove their guilt for betraying him."

10 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

They want to see him lose so it'll justify their criticism

Idk about that whole guilt part but this is what it is. And I think they're already justified, the ones that wanted him gone much earlier. That's why it's confusing. He didn't win another title after the first one, that's not total failure but it's not the success you want either. So they weren't wrong there. Yet they need him to fail again somehow to further that point. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norm said:

Idk about that whole guilt part but this is what it is. And I think they're already justified, the ones that wanted him gone much earlier. That's why it's confusing. He didn't win another title after the first one, that's not total failure but it's not the success you want either. So they weren't wrong there. Yet they need him to fail again somehow to further that point. 

Sure . . . if someone wants to make an argument that MM was holding Rodgers' Packers back, I suppose you could make a convincing case.  Maybe that case needs a post to track MM's current and future successes and failures.  But it feels a bit sadistic. And if it brings down the juju whammy on the Packers for chortling, someone will have to polish MM's shoes while wearing a funny hat while whistling Yankee Doodle.  That's how it works.

Edited by StinkySauce
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

Sure . . . if someone wants to make an argument that MM was holding Rodgers' Packers back, I suppose you could make a convincing case.  Maybe that case needs a post to track MM's current and future successes and failures.  But it feels a bit sadistic. And if it brings down the juju whammy on the Packers for chortling, someone will have to polish MM's shoes while wearing a funny hat while whistling Yankee Doodle.  That's how it works.

Yeah, MM was a boneheaded ST play away from 2 SB trophies. His tenure here was more than adequate.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yeah, MM was a boneheaded ST play away from 2 SB trophies. His tenure here was more than adequate.

Elsewhere I went though "playoff wins GB has left on the table" but it's also worth pointing out that the '07 team was a Favre folding in the cold/Al Harris being to "tough for his own good/MM getting outcoached by Coughlin game away from going to the SB as well (though I don't like the odds of that team beating the Pats) along with another NFCCG appearance in '16 (another team that probably wouldn't have done well in the big game), plus strong coulda-woulda-shoulda teams in 09 and 11. 

The problem with people here in "Entitled Town" is there doesn't seem to be a realisation that a level of success like that is RARE. And GB has had 2-3 stretches of that in the past 30 yrs. Lots of teams haven't even managed one stretch of that. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Elsewhere I went though "playoff wins GB has left on the table" but it's also worth pointing out that the '07 team was a Favre folding in the cold/Al Harris being to "tough for his own good/MM getting outcoached by Coughlin game away from going to the SB as well (though I don't like the odds of that team beating the Pats) along with another NFCCG appearance in '16 (another team that probably wouldn't have done well in the big game), plus strong coulda-woulda-shoulda teams in 09 and 11. 

The problem with people here in "Entitled Town" is there doesn't seem to be a realisation that a level of success like that is RARE. And GB has had 2-3 stretches of that in the past 30 yrs. Lots of teams haven't even managed one stretch of that. 

No doubt it is rare.  Kind of like how rare it is to have quarterback like Favre and Rodgers back to back.

I dare say that the 49ers had that level of success under Montana/Young.

Maybe the Colts would have from Manning to Luck.  But Luck retired early.

I'm not going to bag on Mac.  We know what he did, we know what he didn't do.

Sure he was very successful.  And he certainly had the quarterbacks to help him along the way.  Guess I feel there is a very strong correlation between wins and elite QB play.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 7:54 PM, AlexGreen#20 said:

List of active NFL head coaches with more than 1 Super Bowl Win:

Bill Belichick

End of list.

McCarthy's resume is as good as anyone's who isn't Belichick. Not a good HC. GTFO

I get it but...How many of them had 2 HOf QBs though their whole time as a HC and one QB that basically played other worldly for years?

On 10/13/2020 at 5:22 PM, JaireAlex said:

. I have higher standards. That's on Mac mostly, then sleepy Ted.

People with high standards call aging people with cognitive medical disorders “sleepy”?

but you are right in that I would say TT was a better GB than MM was a coach. They both used to be damn good at their job.

Edited by Arthur Penske

19 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I get it but...How many of them had 2 HOf QBs though their whole time as a HC and one QB that basically played other worldly for years?

Favre was done when McCarthy got here. 

McCarthy had Rodgers for 10 years. 1 Ring

Dungy had Manning for 7 years. 1 Ring

Carroll has had Wilson for 9 years. 1 Ring

Payton has had Brees for 15 years. 1 Ring

• Like 2

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Favre was done when McCarthy got here. 

McCarthy had Rodgers for 10 years. 1 Ring

Dungy had Manning for 7 years. 1 Ring

Carroll has had Wilson for 9 years. 1 Ring

Payton has had Brees for 15 years. 1 Ring

Bill Belichick with any one of them.  3 rings minimum. 

#it'snottheQBthatwinsSuperBowls

• Like 1