Mike McCarthy is 2-6 with the Cowboys

PackGymRat

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I know a lot of you are reveling in one season vindication over McCarthy, but the dude went 6-10 after Prescott went out and he's juggling not one, not two, not three but like 17 diva personalities on that team. I don't want to think about a Mike McCarthy team that drafts a premium position 10th overall and has three elite receivers and a top 16 QB on its roster. But, alas, it's Jerry.  He's going to draft a center 10th overall. 

I wish MM well - except when he/they are playing us.  He did and achieved good things while in GB. No reason to hate on him.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 1

He's a subpar coach these days.  He may have cost his team a win yesterday by failing to challenge a catch late.  The non challenged allowed for a 50 yd field goal to put the Giants up by 4 .. would have been a 60 yard attempt if he throws the red flag.  The Giants probably would have punted and held a one point lead.  The Cowboys then get into field goal position, but needed a TD to win.  I think Mac was a pretty good coach at one point in time, but his least few years in GB were not pretty and his first season in Dallas was bad.  He's not trending in the right direction. 

I still have love for big Mac, but you’re right, he had some questionable coaching choices throughout the year.  That team was destroyed by injury and some hefty contracts that didn’t  produce to their pay. 

Next year, he will have to show he can get the team into the playoffs with the talent on that roster. There will be some rough defenses in that division but it is still very winnable. 

McCarthy had hands-down the best roster in the league's weakest division -- even without Dak.

Dalton is mediocre, but about at par with the rest of the division's QBs (2020 Wentz, rookie Hurts, Alex Smith, backup Washington QBs that had to play due to Smith injury, Daniel Jones, Colt McCoy for a few weeks). The rest of their roster is better in just about every way, and his record against NFC-E was 2-4.

He should have cake-walked into the playoffs as its worst team. The guy couldn't even beat the runner-up to the worst playoff team this year.

As pertinent (if not more) is how much better his former team and Aaron Rodgers have been looking.

And here we get to the fun part where people (who ironically accuse you of being blind Rodgers loyalist defenders while being the McCarthy equivalent of it) say "If only Rodgers threw check-downs and passes over the middle!" as if it's not the coach's job to get the player to play the right way.

For whatever reason, LaFleur got Rodgers comfortable with throwing over the middle again and Mac did not. He got him to start getting the ball out (a lot) quicker and Mac did not. I don't know what the reason is, which of the two were most to blame, and I don't particularly give a ****. It's still principally the coach's job to get good play out of a player. (cue in the accusations/subtle implication by people who are totally not apologists for Mac that Rodgers purposefully sucked to get Mac fired... I guess he was trying to get LaFleur fired last year, too, because he still was not playing that much better).

Sorry, the critics were vindicated. The guy is just not good.

Edited by Gopher Trace

I am usually in Mac's corner, but with the weapons in DAL, that offense should have been far better than it was with Dalton at QB.  To me, the DAL offense logging 8 games with under 20 points scored is pretty damning for Mac.  In week 17 the NYG put up 23 points.  That should be a win for DAL, and it wasn't. 

28 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am usually in Mac's corner, but with the weapons in DAL, that offense should have been far better than it was with Dalton at QB.  To me, the DAL offense logging 8 games with under 20 points scored is pretty damning for Mac.  In week 17 the NYG put up 23 points.  That should be a win for DAL, and it wasn't. 

Terence Steele and Brandon Knight were their Tackles. 

Andy Dalton has had 1 year with a passer rating over 100 and only one other year with a passer rating over 90. They started Garrett Graham and Ben DiNucci a game each. 

They SUCK at the premiums and they were bringing everybody into a new system without camps and an abbreviated preseason. 

Shiny weapons don't mean **** if you suck at the premiums.