Week Four Recap: Falcons Flop, Packers Fly

mikebpackfan

32 minutes ago, HeresAGuy said:

There is only one thing that made me super sad yesterday:  the 4th and 1 on the goal line

The ENTIRE purpose, the whoooooooooooole reason for AJ Dillon's existence.  IS THAT MOMENT.  THAT IS WHY WE DRAFTED HIM!

I am 1000 percent A-OK running with Jones and JWill at any other point, but holly hell man........on 3rd or 4th and short, give it to Dillon from here on out.  Do not make that mistake again.

Why do you think Dillon is a better short yardage back than either of the veterans?

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why do you think Dillon is a better short yardage back than either of the veterans?

Also Rodgers talked about on Pat Macfee, that they apparently asked him (Dillion) to drop some weight. And that he has been having trouble with the offense.... I say trouble but it was discussed more as he is getting his feet under him finally and he isn’t thinking as much.

Said he got him to smile during a practice so Dillion is slowly getting more comfortable

5 hours ago, KFP7 said:

Another example of why you wait until the play is dead before complaining about a flag.  Tonyan just pops right back up and keeps going without even looking around. 

Not only that, but he adjusts his fall so he rolls through it.  He knew he was going down and uses it to get down field instead.

1 hour ago, HeresAGuy said:

There is only one thing that made me super sad yesterday:  the 4th and 1 on the goal line

The ENTIRE purpose, the whoooooooooooole reason for AJ Dillon's existence.  IS THAT MOMENT.  THAT IS WHY WE DRAFTED HIM!

I am 1000 percent A-OK running with Jones and JWill at any other point, but holly hell man........on 3rd or 4th and short, give it to Dillon from here on out.  Do not make that mistake again.

Dillon still has to prove he can do it at the NFL level.  Plenty of highly rated CFB stars come in and fail at the NFL level.  I don't understand the crowd that is convinced that Dillon is already a star at the NFL level.  He isn't.  He hasn't proved anything yet except that he has really big quads.  He's got a couple of nice runs, but none in the teeth of a D on a goal line stand.

1 minute ago, Smidgeon said:

Dillon still has to prove he can do it at the NFL level.  Plenty of highly rated CFB stars come in and fail at the NFL level.  I don't understand the crowd that is convinced that Dillon is already a star at the NFL level.  He isn't.  He hasn't proved anything yet except that he has really big quads.  He's got a couple of nice runs, but none in the teeth of a D on a goal line stand.

I agree with you that he is not ready yet.

But, when you are trying to kill clock by running in the Lions game, that's a very loaded box and similar to a goalline.  If there is one place he could excel right now, it should be a goalline and short yardage package where his power is an advantage.

And still, Williams and Jones should get those goalline touches.  It's a shame Jones wasn't in on the 4'th down run.  He would have jump cut to the right and had a clear path to the endzone.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

How’s he supposed to know Savage was behind him there...?

Yeah that happens a lot in the NFL when 2 players are trying to make the pick. Specially going full speed like he was. Can't get on him too much for that. Still good coverage by Barnes, ****ty luck that it ended right in the hands of the Falcons WR.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's probably not a better short yardage back than either Williams or Jones- he's a big dude, hence a large target but still smaller than defensive linemen and he's more of a momentum runner than a burst runner.

Like Derrick Henry or Adrian Peterson in his prime are very powerful backs, but not very good in short yardage.

14 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I’m sure that’s very easy when you’re also tracking a throw from and NFL QB coming at you and trying to catch/deflect it

Which is fine, he made the right play if there was any doubt in his mind, but knowing what's happening in the zones surrounding yours is a vital skill in the NFL. 

18 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

-Not challenging the Shephard near-TD, then the playcall on 4th-and-goal.

I don't know if Shepherd slipped on the grass or he wasn't aware of where he was to the end zone but he definitely didn't get in. He was touched well before he slid across the goalline.  The call on the field would've been confirmed.  But at the least, it would've been the timeout that Rodgers should've taken before rushing to get the 4th down play off.   So we would've lost the challenge but had the timeout to put together a better play for 4th & goal.