Sign in to follow this  
J-ALL-DAY

Week 5 GDT - Miami Dolphins at San Francisco 49ers

Well, last week certainly sucked as we lost to a pretty terrible football team. I know it is pretty crazy to say that week 5 is a must win, but I think we are at that point. The NFC isn't all that great but our division is loaded and we can't be 2-3 heading into the extremely tough part of our schedule. The Dolphins defense was TERRIBLE in the first few weeks but they have looked better as of late. They were right in the Seahawks game but just could not score in the RZ. That was a very winnable game for them but a late Fitzpatrick INT sealed their fate. I don't know if it is realistic to expect Jimmy back this week since he wasn't even practicing last week, but we kind of need him ASAP lol. Mullens was great against the Giants but equally as bad against the Eagles. Those three turnovers were just killers. Our defense had allowed only 11 points up until his fumble around mid-field in the 4th quarter. If Jimmy can't go, Shanahan may go with Beathard....Which I really don't agree with. We have seen enough of Beathard to know what kind of QB he is and despite Mullens terrible game, he's still the better QB. But after a performance like that, his confidence may be shot a bit. 

To make mattters worse, we were already missing our top three outside corners and now K'waun Williams is going to go on IR with a sprained knee. You can't even make this up at this point. The slight good news is that Spoon and Moseley should be back this week while Sherman is more likely to return in week 6. Same goes for Mostert who may return this week but more likely for week 6. Back to Jimmy, I know people want him to get in rhythm before the Rams game, but this OL may get him hurt for good. Really a tricky situation. Let's see if he can even practice this week.

The Dolphins offense has some weapons on the perimeter and a pretty solid RB corp. Breida hasn't been getting many carries but we all know what he can do and the rookie Gaskin is looking solid. I like their WRs in Parker and Williams. Parker has been battling injuries all season but he's toughening it out and had a nice game against the Seahawks. The burst isn't quite there from last season but still a dangerous WR and a good one at that. Our defense has played mostly well all season despite all the injuries and should have another good game here. The Dolphins will move the ball but the key will be to hold them in the RZ like the Seahawks did. 

This game is hard to predict right now with all the uncertainties with the injuries. Will Jimmy play? If not, will it be Mullens? Will it be Beathard? I don't know, but a win is needed regardless who is at QB.

SF 24 Miami 17 

Posted (edited)

I couldn't even watch MNF last night because I was so over football this week. Mullins' pooped the bed so hard the frame gave out. The o-line collectively and all at once seemed to forget how to play football, which caused a trickle-down effect of pure sadness. 

• We need the o-line fixed, now
  • We need Jimmy back ASAP
  • We need Mostert back ASAP
  • For the love of all things sacred and holy, cut Dontae Johnson right now and walk away as fast as humanly possible

The Dolphins are bad, but yet again, here's a team with a scrambling QB, which outside of injuries is our greatest nemesis. We desperately need to have a week where we don't put someone on season-ending IR. This is more absurd than last season. If there's one thing I've learned about Shanahan is that he's pissed and will get this team straight this week. I expect a better executed game plan and hoping for some key guys to return. 

Update with some tweets:

Edited by NinerNation21

Per DVOA, we are 6th defensively and 15th offensively. Our opponents offensively are ranked: 32, 31, 28 and 25. Our opponents defensively are ranked: 10th, 11th, 14th and 19th. 

So it is no surprise why our defense has been better than our offense. Granted, our offense had a terrible performance this past week which dropped them from 8th to 15th. 

The key will be to hang around the 10th spot defensively and crack the top 5 offensively. That's our best shot to make noise this season and make the playoffs. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Per DVOA, we are 6th defensively and 15th offensively. Our opponents offensively are ranked: 32, 31, 28 and 25. Our opponents defensively are ranked: 10th, 11th, 14th and 19th. 

So it is no surprise why our defense has been better than our offense. Granted, our offense had a terrible performance this past week which dropped them from 8th to 15th. 

The key will be to hang around the 10th spot defensively and crack the top 5 offensively. That's our best shot to make noise this season and make the playoffs. 

The killer for us has been dumb mistakes. I'm not talking coverage breakdowns/missed tackles on defense, or missed throws on offense. I mean giving up a blocked punt and letting the Cardinals have 1st and goal at our 10, or Mullen's 3 TO's on Sunday that led to a 21 point swing 

Even with those mistakes, we've lost by a combined 9 points and were driving to score in both games before getting stopped. 

We need to clean up our mistakes and get healthy. The killer is going to be both missing Bosa/Ford and the OL regression in pass blocking. We'll need to scheme around it, but there's only so much you can do

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

The killer for us has been dumb mistakes. I'm not talking coverage breakdowns/missed tackles on defense, or missed throws on offense. I mean giving up a blocked punt and letting the Cardinals have 1st and goal at our 10, or Mullen's 3 TO's on Sunday that led to a 21 point swing 

Even with those mistakes, we've lost by a combined 9 points and were driving to score in both games before getting stopped. 

We need to clean up our mistakes and get healthy. The killer is going to be both missing Bosa/Ford and the OL regression in pass blocking. We'll need to scheme around it, but there's only so much you can do

Definitely. Less talent than last season with all the injuries but we have still had a chance to win every game the last two seasons. Seattle was the exact same way for a while, and that is a good sign. But you can't continue giving these types of games away. Philly was banged up themselves and had very little for us until Mullens second turnover that completely flipped the game. 

Miami is probably better than what most folks think but again this SHOULD be a W

23-13. Us.

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Miami is probably better than what most folks think but again this SHOULD be a W

23-13. Us.

Agreed I think this will be a fight and of course we are playing the magic man in Fitzmagic, so anything’s possible. I would be sad for another loss, but honestly wouldn’t be shocked. We just have way too many injuries at key positions. If Jimmy can play, then I like our chances better than Mullen’s/CJ 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wirfs 😢😢😢😢😢

idk man, I'm loving Kinlaw right now. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, John232 said:

Our D-Line would be still good without Kinlaw but "boy oh boy" our O-Line needs some upgrading,

Edited by Dub_City30

9 minutes ago, John232 said:

Kinlaw is playing well and is going to be a beast. No problem with the pick but I loved Wirfs and he was my guy all leading up to the draft. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, John232 said:

The O-Line will work itself out. I've said from the beginning that with no preseason, it would take around 4-5 weeks for most team to get their footing. Just didn't forsee we would get hit by the injury Death Star. That has only magnified the bad play of certain groups like the O-Line.

My only real concern has been what it's always been...RG. I just don't believe Brunskill is being used wisely right now. I'm willing to let it play out for a few more weeks but I really believe they need to give McKivitiz a shot there. And he's not a OG either but I feel physically, he's stronger than Brunskill and could 'get by' at RG.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dub_City30 said:

Our D-Line would be still good without Kinlaw but "boy oh boy" our O-Line needs some upgrading,

I mean..I agree..but also look at how dead our line is. Imagine if we didn't try to load up on guys..Street would be playing like 80% of the snaps right now. Kinlaw has been and will likely be our best lineman this year. He's just a beast and he's not even scratching the surface of what he can be. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The O-Line will work itself out. I've said from the beginning that with no preseason, it would take around 4-5 weeks for most team to get their footing. Just didn't forsee we would get hit by the injury Death Star. That has only magnified the bad play of certain groups like the O-Line.

My only real concern has been what it's always been...RG. I just don't believe Brunskill is being used wisely right now. I'm willing to let it play out for a few more weeks but I really believe they need to give McKivitiz a shot there. And he's not a OG either but I feel physically, he's stronger than Brunskill and could 'get by' at RG.

I would imagine there's a good chance this gets shaken up if it doesn't start working out soon. Shanny has shown he can be ruthless on making changes when dudes don't perform. 

Who's starting? 

17-13 Dolphins. 

Unless its jimmy. 

then it's 86-0 us.