Week 5 GDT - Miami Dolphins at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

16 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I couldn't even watch MNF last night because I was so over football this week. Mullins' pooped the bed so hard the frame gave out. The o-line collectively and all at once seemed to forget how to play football, which caused a trickle-down effect of pure sadness. 

• We need the o-line fixed, now
  • We need Jimmy back ASAP
  • We need Mostert back ASAP
  • For the love of all things sacred and holy, cut Dontae Johnson right now and walk away as fast as humanly possible

The Dolphins are bad, but yet again, here's a team with a scrambling QB, which outside of injuries is our greatest nemesis. We desperately need to have a week where we don't put someone on season-ending IR. This is more absurd than last season. If there's one thing I've learned about Shanahan is that he's pissed and will get this team straight this week. I expect a better executed game plan and hoping for some key guys to return. 

Update with some tweets:

I hadn't thought about moving Garland...that's interesting. 

8 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The O-Line will work itself out. I've said from the beginning that with no preseason, it would take around 4-5 weeks for most team to get their footing. Just didn't forsee we would get hit by the injury Death Star. That has only magnified the bad play of certain groups like the O-Line.

My only real concern has been what it's always been...RG. I just don't believe Brunskill is being used wisely right now. I'm willing to let it play out for a few more weeks but I really believe they need to give McKivitiz a shot there. And he's not a OG either but I feel physically, he's stronger than Brunskill and could 'get by' at RG.

I don't think that this is as likely as i thought originally. The weight loss thing has me massively concerned with McG because he legit looks like one of the worst tackles in football. I'm assuming that Tomlinson will get better at some point just because he's been better in the past, but I suppose in fairness, there is a reason we were able to get him for a future fifth at one point

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think that this is as likely as i thought originally. The weight loss thing has me massively concerned with McG because he legit looks like one of the worst tackles in football. I'm assuming that Tomlinson will get better at some point just because he's been better in the past, but I suppose in fairness, there is a reason we were able to get him for a future fifth at one point

I just think it takes time building cohension and with Garland missing all of TC and Brunskill playing@center all of training camp, it screwed with the timing and cohension. Practice reps only go so far. So from a run-blocking perspective, I think that has alot to do with our struggles.

As far as McG, he is who he is. He's always been a great run-blocking tackle and a subpar pass-protector. But Iike I said, it's been magnified with the whole offense struggling and Jimmy not under center, helping out the the line with his quick release. 

I desperately want to see Brunskill or Skule@RT for a extended amount of time. I seriously doubt Shanny benches a team captain, no matter how bad he's playing. Seriously doubt he would do that to McG...even though his play might warrant it.

But personally, I would like to see either of them there for a few games. 

10 hours ago, Forge said:

Looks good enough to me

Lol, right? Don't even need to see him move around more than this, he's ready to go!

From that clip it seems like Beathard is now the official back up. I don't agree with this at all but it is what it is. Clearly we are screwed if Jimmy is out for more games the rest of the season.

I recall Russell Wilson having an ankle injury I think two years ago. I believe he started every game, and that was with a bad offensive line. I'm not saying Jimmy is a weakling, and everyone's body responds differently, but I'm hoping that he can rise to the challenge physically and mentally to push through it. Life is weird. Maybe he'll get a Zenkai and actually play better with battle damage. Seemed to be that way in the Jets game. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I recall Russell Wilson having an ankle injury I think two years ago. I believe he started every game, and that was with a bad offensive line. I'm not saying Jimmy is a weakling, and everyone's body responds differently, but I'm hoping that he can rise to the challenge physically and mentally to push through it. Life is weird. Maybe he'll get a Zenkai and actually play better with battle damage. Seemed to be that way in the Jets game. 

https://www.stack.com/a/russell-wilsons-superfast-recovery-from-a-badly-sprained-ankle-and-mcl-strain-involved-staying-up-all-night

That article gives some details about his rehab. Its crazy - and this was for some midseason games 

I'd definitely prefer to sit Jimmy G at least one more week, but if the doctors say hes good...then lets go 

What a fall from grace for Mullens...went from a guy that was thought of as a solid backup, to a guy who we can't even trust to beat the Dolphins at home 

Edited by 49ersfan