Week 5 GDT - Miami Dolphins at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

The whole thing with Jimmy is why start him if he isn't right??

They said he didn't finsih pratice all week, yet you put him into live action??

That just screams negligence on Shanny's part. Should have went with CJ if there was even a inkling that Jimmy couldn't be who he normally is. They probably asked him could he do it and of course, he's gonna say 'yea, I can tough it out' because that's what football players do. But the coaches should have trusted their eyes and went with the healthy option. Even if it wasn't the ideal option.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

The whole thing with Jimmy is why start him if he isn't right??

They said he didn't finsih pratice all week, yet you put him into live action??

That just screams negligence on Shanny's part. Should have went with CJ if there was even a inkling that Jimmy couldn't be who he normally is. They probably asked him could he do it and of course, he's gonna say 'yea, I can tough it out' because that's what football players do. But the coaches should have trusted their eyes and went with the healthy option. Even if it wasn't the ideal option.

I mean because it was pretty much a must win. He pretty much had to go if he was somewhat ready. Mullens wasn't going to start after being benched the prior week and we all know Beathard is bad so I think Shanahan did what most coaches would do. 

It could be that Jimmy looked a bit better in practice but didn't trust his ankle in live action. There is no fear in practice of getting hit but it could have been in the back of his mind that his ankle could go at any point during the game and you just can't play that way. 

I don't know, this is a tricky situation going forward. I think they go with Jimmy next week again hoping he gets better and has more confidence in his ankle. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean because it was pretty much a must win. He pretty much had to go if he was somewhat ready. Mullens wasn't going to start after being benched the prior week and we all know Beathard is bad so I think Shanahan did what most coaches would do. 

It could be that Jimmy looked a bit better in practice but didn't trust his ankle in live action. There is no fear in practice of getting hit but it could have been in the back of his mind that his ankle could go at any point during the game and you just can't play that way. 

I don't know, this is a tricky situation going forward. I think they go with Jimmy next week again hoping he gets better and has more confidence in his ankle. 

Every game is a must win though so I'm not buyng that...

Could be possible he looked better during the week but I probably still would have have sat him another week just to be on the safe side....but that's just me. It was considered a 4-6 week injury. Its only been 3 weeks. With the QB position, I just think you air on the side of caution. Regardless of how CJ and Mullens are, I would think you would want Jimmy as healthy as possible when for when the schedule gets the toughest.

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Every game is a must win though so I'm not buyng that...

Could be possible he looked better during the week but I probably still would have have sat him another week just to be on the safe side....but that's just me. It was considered a 4-6 week injury. Its only been 3 weeks. With the QB position, I just think you air on the side of caution. Regardless of how CJ and Mullens are, I would think you would want Jimmy as healthy as possible when for when the schedule gets the toughest.

The way the season is going dictates the way coaches/players do things. I don't buy that EVERY week is a must win. Not saying the team isn't trying to win every week, but if we are 3-1 and the division is just mediocre? Then no doubt that Jimmy sits out this week and doesn't play until he is healthy. But with how good our division is and with the team being 2-2, there was a lot of pressure to win this game.

Yes, a high ankle sprain is a 4-6 week injury. Jimmy probably should have been out another two weeks in an ideal world. 

Again, unfortunate situation with the way the season is going and I don't envy Shanahan going forward. LIS, if I had to guess, he still goes with Jimmy next week just hoping he is better and healthier. Jimmy being good and leading a top 5-7 offense is the only chance this team has to making the playoffs and Shanahan knows that. 

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I think this very knee-jerk. 

EVERYONE was saying all summer how Lynch & Co 'won' the off-season. How we got Trent for pennies on the dollar in a draft day steal to replace Staley. How it was a great move trading DeFo and replacing him with essentially Kinlaw and Aiyuk. How we had one of the most talented rosters in football and one of the more brilliant minds in the game.

Of course there were moves you, I and others thought we should have made. But overall, we were pretty stacked heading into the season. 

Unfortunately we have been ravaged by injury. Injury to key personnel. Irreplaceable personnel if we're being honest. Its very unfortunate but its part of the game. I mean when you're second and third string options are all unavailable I mean what were fans expecting to happen? This isn't last year when a starter goes down and the back-up steps up. We're missing our top three CBs and one of the best niceklbacks in the league....all at the same time....with virtually no pass-rush. 

And as far as the coaching, granted there were questionable decisions yesterday that I thought were very....odd. But I cant say that Shanny is the culprit for our woes. I'm still seeing WRs running free and a scheme that has put players in position to succeed. What I'm also seeing is our QBs missing throws, WRs dropping passes, O-Lineman not on the same page and getting beat on simple stunts and blitz packages. Yes the buck stops with the HC so Shanny has to take the fall for how the team is playing. But c'mon...how many ppl expected Trent Williams to look this bad, or the offense line to just totally implode??

The offense looks out of sync. The defense can't get off the field becaue they're working with a skeleton crew, both upfront and in the secondary. I really think that's the bottom line at the moment. Yesterday was horrible to watch but the fanbase reaction to it is really baffling to me (not you in particular, just in general). I know its the Dolphins but they've played solid football all year, despite their record. I remember Walsh having some bad regular season losses too. And not that I'm saying Shanny is Walsh but its really about how you respond to those losses that really defines your team and coaches. I want to see how Shanny & Co. respond to the adversity.  It would also help if our CBs could get somewhat healthy. 

Shanny has not had a good season at all. That's not knee jerk, thats largely been a season long thing. @N4L and I have questioned game plans on the pod almost every week it feels like.. He called a miserable game with questionable personnel usage even back in game one. 

The front office I'd be hard pressed to say had a bad off season, though again I question why certain moves were made. But others did not like trading off Buckner for AA (if they felt that way). I was fine with it, not everyone was. Then you have the RG issue. Someone called the kinlaw selection a kmart version of buckner at the time LOL. So not everyone is on board with the front office's moves

If you're Shanny, how much faith do you have in any of these guys at this point? Not just the QB play, I mean the team as a whole? He has to be pulling his hair out. The injuries have ravaged this team to a point where I don't know that he feels good about anything. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Shanny has not had a good season at all. That's not knee jerk, thats largely been a season long thing. @N4L and I have questioned game plans on the pod almost every week it feels like.. He called a miserable game with questionable personnel usage even back in game one. 

The front office I'd be hard pressed to say had a bad off season, though again I question why certain moves were made. But others did not like trading off Buckner for AA (if they felt that way). I was fine with it, not everyone was. Then you have the RG issue. Someone called the kinlaw selection a kmart version of buckner at the time LOL. So not everyone is on board with the front office's moves

Curious to hear the complaints of the game plan week 1, because I thought Shanny had called some great play calls that Jimmy just missed for big gains/easy TDs. And how about last week against Philly? What would you have liked to see instead?

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Curious to hear the complaints of the game plan week 1, because I thought Shanny had called some great play calls that Jimmy just missed for big gains/easy TDs. And how about last week against Philly? What would you have liked to see instead?

I had major complaints regarding personnel usage in game one, some yesterday, along with the very truncated route tree. We talked about that on the podcast a couple of times, but Shanny has this conservative, turtle up mode in the passing game that I deplore. I don't always quite get it, though I'm sure that there are times where there is reasoning for it (such as injuries). We are not forcing defenses to stay honest at all in the passing game until we our backs are pushed up against it. Now, the problem is...is it on Shanny, or Jimmy and company? Because the routes are sometimes there and we just aren't throwing it. But if that's the case, that speaks even worse on the QB situation than I have been doing as is. 

That's really my main concern. I've always had questions regarding his aggressiveness, as most people know, but that hasn't been a major issue this year since we haven't been in that position lol. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I had major complaints regarding personnel usage in game one, some yesterday, along with the very truncated route tree. We talked about that on the podcast a couple of times, but Shanny has this conservative, turtle up mode in the passing game that I deplore. I don't always quite get it, though I'm sure that there are times where there is reasoning for it (such as injuries). We are not forcing defenses to stay honest at all in the passing game until we our backs are pushed up against it. Now, the problem is...is it on Shanny, or Jimmy and company? Because the routes are sometimes there and we just aren't throwing it. But if that's the case, that speaks even worse on the QB situation than I have been doing as is. 

That's really my main concern. I've always had questions regarding his aggressiveness, as most people know, but that hasn't been a major issue this year since we haven't been in that position lol. 

It should be noted that in some instances, it's hard to differentiate between what's a bad call and what is just bad players or bad plays. People give shanny crap for the super bowl last year, but if you look back at so many of the plays that people point to, there was a ton of it wide open and Jimmy either missed it, or the chiefs made a play. So the ineffectiveness of those plays are not on Shanny. 

This year is particularly hard for that given the injuries. But I've been underwhelmed several times with the game plan this year...and I almost have to throw the Jets game out in that regard. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It should be noted that in some instances, it's hard to differentiate between what's a bad call and what is just bad players or bad plays. People give shanny crap for the super bowl last year, but if you look back at so many of the plays that people point to, there was a ton of it wide open and Jimmy either missed it, or the chiefs made a play. So the ineffectiveness of those plays are not on Shanny. 

This year is particularly hard for that given the injuries. But I've been underwhelmed several times with the game plan this year...and I almost have to throw the Jets game out in that regard. 

It would be tedious to bring up, but this should pretty much preface any conversation when talking about the game plan of a coach..this also applies to management/life. Sometimes things are clearly bad..but generally..it's not. There is nuance. 

• Like 1

Just now, John232 said:

It would be tedious to bring up, but this should pretty much preface any conversation when talking about the game plan of a coach..this also applies to management/life. Sometimes things are clearly bad..but generally..it's not. There is nuance. 

100%. 

That's why I hated all the super bowl, "shanny can't get it done" takes. Like seriously, go back and look at those plays. People were wide open. We didn't execute on the field...thats not on the coach lol

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

With all of our free agents, I'm curious what pieces we could actually move at the deadline if we believe that we are out of it. 

I think that's a good conversation piece. 

I can’t believe we haven’t shipped Pettis yet. We should definitely start with him. And Coleman