Week 5 GDT - Miami Dolphins at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.stack.com/a/russell-wilsons-superfast-recovery-from-a-badly-sprained-ankle-and-mcl-strain-involved-staying-up-all-night

That article gives some details about his rehab. Its crazy - and this was for some midseason games 

I'd definitely prefer to sit Jimmy G at least one more week, but if the doctors say hes good...then lets go 

What a fall from grace for Mullens...went from a guy that was thought of as a solid backup, to a guy who we can't even trust to beat the Dolphins at home 

Thanks for the article. I'll try to read it later if I remember. 

As for Mullens, yes it's unfortunate. He was getting way overhyped though. But it's only one game as bad as it looked. I'd still trust him with another start over Beathard, who I've personally seen enough of. In any case, Sunday night was just a hard dose of reality that one can only rely on backups for so long. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jimmy is starting on Sunday. Tomorrow's practice will be pretty much a walkthrough and he practiced some the last two days. He knows the season is pretty much on the line so he's going to push through it. 

4 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I recall Russell Wilson having an ankle injury I think two years ago. I believe he started every game, and that was with a bad offensive line. I'm not saying Jimmy is a weakling, and everyone's body responds differently, but I'm hoping that he can rise to the challenge physically and mentally to push through it. Life is weird. Maybe he'll get a Zenkai and actually play better with battle damage. Seemed to be that way in the Jets game. 

This season to me is all about garoppolo at this point. Our entire team is literally limping right now obviously. Great QBs can raise the play of everyone else/mask a lot of deficiencies elsewhere. 

Is he capable of doing that? Because in the NFL if you dont have that guy, its very hard to sustain success. 

With how covid could torpedo our window due to a $25m (12.5%) drop in salary cap next year, when we are already tight on money with a ton of FAs after this season, we need to know if a franchise QB with elite upside should be on the shopping list as well. Because those type of franchise QBs cost draft capital/money. While Garoppolo is most likely our starter in '21 regardless, how he preforms this year will determine how aggressive we are with a backup plan - a la the chiefs making the choice to switch to mahomes a year early rather than a year late. 

SO thats why I say, this is time for Jimmy to show us what he is made of for real. Hes been inconsistent. Time for him to be that dart thrower and win some shoot outs. We are going to need to put up a lot of points to win games. We need him to limit turnovers and negative plays, while also being aggressive and throwing the ball into tight windows if necessary. He will need to bring that italian eye of the tiger stuff with him every week. 

Garoppolo has performed in high pressure situations. I like the idea he may play a little better when he is feeling the pressure of the season and with a little battle damage. He has shown a lot of guts here at times. 

People think he choked the superbowl away but I really dont see it that way. He missed one throw that would have given us the lead, so that is what people remember. He was very sharp for most of that game. Chris Jones PDs were the difference in my mind. He needed to pump fake or something after the first one. Such a little thing, a slight fake one direction and then resetting. Would have made such a big difference. 

That was a game between two titans. It sucks being the team without a surefire generational talent at QB because it makes it that much harder to win when you have injuries etc. 

Edited by N4L

10 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Kittle, Samus, and Aiyuk should be available correct? Super YAC Masters will allow Jimmy to indulge himself. 

Yep. Samuel played last week but it seemed like he was on a pitch count. 

Hopefully our OL holds up better this week too. The Dolphins DL isn't anything special, right?

28 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Yep. Samuel played last week but it seemed like he was on a pitch count. 

Hopefully our OL holds up better this week too. The Dolphins DL isn't anything special, right?

Yes, their DL is nothing special. They do get Byron Jones back this week and to go along with Xavien Howard, that's a very good CB duo. This is a game we will have to attack their backers in coverage so Mostert/McKinnon and Kittle are in store for big games in the receiving game. 

On 10/8/2020 at 9:52 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lol, right? Don't even need to see him move around more than this, he's ready to go!

From that clip it seems like Beathard is now the official back up. I don't agree with this at all but it is what it is. Clearly we are screwed if Jimmy is out for more games the rest of the season.

Nick played himself into being re-signable at the end of the year. 

15 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Moseley out 2 consecutive weeks with the same concussion is VERY concerning....

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier this week. Scary indeed that he's still having concussion like symptoms and is not cleared yet. 

Hopefully he is back next week along with Sherman but more importantly he gets better. This is the type of thing that makes players retire early. 

12 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier this week. Scary indeed that he's still having concussion like symptoms and is not cleared yet. 

Hopefully he is back next week along with Sherman but more importantly he gets better. This is the type of thing that makes players retire early. 

The other day, I wondered if some teams would declare some multi-week injuries like this in order to hide covid cases, without having the spotlight on them. Basically, cheating the system. But I guess it's not happening, because if any team were to do that, it would have been the Pats, and they already lost their two best players to covid officially....

I hope they're just being super cautious with Moseley. I know we can't afford to lose too many games (in the optic of trying to make the playoffs, which is what the staff is thinking, while us, fans, probably mostly feel that our superbowl chances this year are close to zero, with Bosa), and they would want Moseley on the field as soon as possible, but taking our time and hopefully having him for the rest of the year and the rest of niners career is more important than rushing him back onto the field. 

Honestly, I'd rather start Moore at CB than Dontae, at this point. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

The other day, I wondered if some teams would declare some multi-week injuries like this in order to hide covid cases, without having the spotlight on them. Basically, cheating the system. But I guess it's not happening, because if any team were to do that, it would have been the Pats, and they already lost their two best players to covid officially....

I hope they're just being super cautious with Moseley. I know we can't afford to lose too many games (in the optic of trying to make the playoffs, which is what the staff is thinking, while us, fans, probably mostly feel that our superbowl chances this year are close to zero, with Bosa), and they would want Moseley on the field as soon as possible, but taking our time and hopefully having him for the rest of the year and the rest of niners career is more important than rushing him back onto the field. 

Honestly, I'd rather start Moore at CB than Dontae, at this point. 

Well good thing is Dontae is out