SB Winner Other Than Pack/Seahawks/Chiefs?

NFL Network

Hi guys after the first 4 weeks of the season I've basically made the conclusion that assuming to major injuries to the QB's that the SB winner for this season will be one of the Packers/Seahawks/Chiefs.

If any of those teams nail down the #1 seed in their respective conferences I can't see anyone winning in their venue in January. The only teams who may be able to derail the Chiefs in the AFC are the Steelers, or maybe Bills but don't think they can score at will with Mahomes. And in the NFC I can't see anyone taking down the Packers or Seahawks as those offenses can score at will and thus mask their defensive woes. I thought about putting the Bucs on that list but I don't trust their secondary and Brady is 43 and don't trust him getting them to the SB at this stage.

So does anyone think someone other than those 3 above mentioned teams will win the SB this season?

I mean if Josh Allen keeps it up I think the Bills have a shot at it, no? Coming into this season everyone said the Bills have a top 5 roster outside of the QB...now that their QB is playing at a MVP caliber start (only 4 games), you'd think they would have a shot. Bills are averaging 30 PPG.

Our defense has been underwhelming but we essentially have the same players we had the last 2 seasons so they should be able figure it out. Comes down to JA keeping it up + defense becoming top 10 again. 

Chiefs @ Buffalo next Thursday night football looks like a must watch game. 

12 minutes ago, UncleAdamz said:

No mention of the Ravens? I still see them as #2 in the AFC. For the NFC, I would say the Rams have a chance to go on a run over any other team, barring the healthy 49ers.

Well I would include the Ravens but when Lamar Jackson flat out admits that the Chiefs are the Ravens kryptonite then it has to make you wonder. Also I don't trust Lamar in a shootout with Mahomes b/c Lamar is more likely to make a mistake than Mahomes will.

I guess if Jared Geoff plays like he did in 2018 the Rams have a shot but they have to finish ahead of both the Seahawks & Packers in order to get it done as it's #1 seed or bust with no #2 seed getting a bye.

9 minutes ago, The BILLievers said:

I mean if Josh Allen keeps it up I think the Bills have a shot at it, no? Coming into this season everyone said the Bills have a top 5 roster outside of the QB...now that their QB is playing at a MVP caliber start (only 4 games), you'd think they would have a shot. Bills are averaging 30 PPG.

Our defense has been underwhelming but we essentially have the same players we had the last 2 seasons so they should be able figure it out. Comes down to JA keeping it up + defense becoming top 10 again. 

Chiefs @ Buffalo next Thursday night football looks like a must watch game. 

I think the Bills might have a better chance next year at winning it all b/c Josh is still young. But what you don't want have happen to Josh Allen is having him plateau in 2020 the same way Raiders QB Derek Carr did in 2016. Derek Carr of 2016 has been MIA since.

5 minutes ago, Drained said:

Chiefs v Bucs SB would be insane just realizing that its a Brady v Mahomes in the SB.

But sleeper pick I'm looking at the Rams.

I love Tom Brady but I don't think he can navigate them out of the tough NFC b/c not only are the Packers & Seahawks the class, then you have the Rams as well. Also like I said the Bucs secondary is garbage and those other NFC QB's will have a feast on them.

It's kind of ridiculous to think only 3 teams have a shot at the SB.

SEA vs. rest of NFC - Yeah, SEA is at a historic O pace.... but also has an.incredibly vulnerable D.    We've seen those teams run roughshod in the regualar season - and get trucked in the playoffs, versus more complete teams, or elite level D's with decent O's.    The Bucs are the latter, the Packers are the former (balanced).   The Saints used to be in that convo, although that D is suspect (need their pass rush to pick up and cover for some weaknesses in back 7 play).   And that's not even counting the obvious scenario where a Russ Wilson injury kills SEA's chances.

GB vs. rest of NFC - their biggest weakness is run D, and a lack of pass receiving weapons.   Make no mistake, Tonyan is legit.  But MVS isn't a great 2nd WR - losing Lazard hurts.   Adams likely is their #1 option, Tonyan #2 until Lazard returns.     Jones is a monster.    Frankly, I think they have a better shot than SEA as long as A-Rod stays healthy.  But their run D weakness is also compounded by the fact their pass coverage scheme is mostly zone IIRC - and so great QB's can expose the soft spots easier than an elite man coverage unit.    That matters more in the playoffs than reg. season.

For the NFC, I really do think TB belongs in the conversation of top tier team.  Forget Brady, it's that the OL is actually a good unit - and Fournette/Jones provides a good RB combo that can protect a lead with 25-30 touches, while Godwin/Evans obviously gives Brady outside weapons (and Scotty as a 3rd WR is a very useful weapon against the 3rd CB).  OJ Howard's loss is a blow for blocking, Gronk is actually more valuable for his ability there than pass-catching (Brate is serviceable).    On D, that's a fearsome front 7 that absolutely obliterates the run - and the pass coverage is rapidly improving (still mistake prone as LAC's 2 bombs showed), but with 2nd-year guys progressing with Carlton Davis, that's a very dangerous D.    I actually think by end of season, they'll be seen as an elite D unit.

In the AFC, you can't dismiss BAL simply because they played horribly vs. KC.   Sure, Lamar has weaknesses that can be exposed - but he's also got game breaking ability.   Frankly, BAL's lack of commitment to the run game vs. KC was a massive problem.  Either way, can't discount them.    BUF's much improved run D, their elite pass D, Allen's progression (and Diggs' addition, which is not coincidental with Allen's improved play), they're a legit contender as well.

Dark horses in the AFC are, Indy (my main issue is any O led by Rivers will get absolutely smoked in playoffs trying to play catch-up), and PIT (awesome D, emerging WR corps and of course a healthy Big Ben - the difference being that the PIT D being the foundation of that team makes them way more playoff-dangerous than in prior years).     CLE would make it if not for being in the same division as BAL & PIT (where both teams present huge matchup issues for them, at least until Baker shows he can beat great D's - so far, he hasn't - and the awesome front 4 needs to cover for really subpar LB play, and they need all their CB's back, because the 4th/5th guys starting aren't cutting it right now, not for contender status anyways).

So yeah, there are lots of SB contenders still beyond SEA, GB & KC.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Chargers said:

Steelers are going to beat the Chiefs if they play in the playoffs. That defense is for real but their offense needs to get better. 

If Big Ben can give them alot of offense then yes they can do it. Also they need to finish with the #1 seed as that gets you homefield and a bye and anything less doesn't.