2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 hour ago, Forge said:

At some point, Michael Penix Jr has to be a thing. Not sure if he'll declare as RS Soph's rarely do, but he's been turning it up this year for Indiana. 

A less than ideal showing by Fields today. 

I was waiting to see if Fields had truly improved from last year. Today was a big indicator that he still has issues from the pocket. And IU's D isn't even that great. 

Edited by 757-NINER

If the top three picks stay Jets, Jags, Washington, I don't see how the first three picks aren't QB, QB, QB. 

I feel like we are going to get "stuck" taking a QB in round 2 or later. I simply don't know that we are going to draft high enough to get a QB in the first. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

If the top three picks stay Jets, Jags, Washington, I don't see how the first three picks aren't QB, QB, QB. 

I feel like we are going to get "stuck" taking a QB in round 2 or later. I simply don't know that we are going to draft high enough to get a QB in the first. 

Yea I agree that the first 3 will more than likely be QB, but I doubt there’s another qb pick looking at the next couple of teams until ATL, CAR, DEN and us. Looks like Carolina is going to win today so that helps, but I think we will be in the realm of either Trask or Mac Jones. 

6 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Yea I agree that the first 3 will more than likely be QB, but I doubt there’s another qb pick looking at the next couple of teams until ATL, CAR, DEN and us. Looks like Carolina is going to win today so that helps, but I think we will be in the realm of either Trask or Mac Jones. 

Yeah, but we shouldn't be taking either of those guys with a top 10 pick 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Bengals might get third now, especially with burrows out. That might be our spot to trade up and grab wilson. Hopefuly we can be picking at around 6/7 to lower how much we have to pay up

4 minutes ago, 49ers Finest said:

Bengals might get third now, especially with burrows out. That might be our spot to trade up and grab wilson. Hopefuly we can be picking at around 6/7 to lower how much we have to pay up

It's a really interesting question on trading up. I'd be curious to see l hear how many people would be good with giving up this year's first + next year's first to get a qb like Wilson

On 11/21/2020 at 2:52 PM, 757-NINER said:

I was waiting to see if Fields had truly improved from last year. Today was a big indicator that he still has issues from the pocket. And IU's D isn't even that great. 

I don't know what it is about fields. Was very lukewarm on him last year, and while some of the stats are crazy, the eye test is kind of meh when I watch osu, and as a fan, I watch a lot. I'll have to really deep dive after the season, but he really leaves me colder than he should

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@jrry32 talk to me about Trask and what you think he will do in the next level and how/if he fits Shanahan's system. 

I think he has some similarities to Nick Foles. He won't elevate a team, but in the right system with the right players around him, he can win you games and play quality football. First and foremost, you need to protect him. He's not very mobile and will make some bad decisions when pressured. Has a bit of a gunslinger mindset. Very middling physical tools (not very mobile with a fairly average arm). Sees the field exceptionally well, processes things quickly, knows where to go with the ball, and throws a very catchable football. Also has phenomenal eye discipline (routinely moves defenders with his eyes) and touch.

He does fit your system well, as it gives a QB who knows where to go with the ball a lot of YAC opportunities. Trask fits well in that sort of system. I think he needs to be on a team that either has great YAC WRs or big targets. The two big issues I see in his play are both related to decision making. First, the longer he holds the ball, the more likely he is to force a bad throw. He needs to do a better job of giving up on plays when nothing is there. He'll force passes late. Second, he'll attack coverages in college and get away with it that won't work with his arm strength in the NFL. He needs to be more precise with his ball placement. He's not bad in this regard, but he won't have a lot of margin for error in the NFL due to his average arm. 

Ultimately, I think he's a good fit in your scheme. Shanny schemes his players open well. Trask is very smart and is the sort of guy who will know where to go with it. But you have to keep him protected. He's not going to escape pressure well, and if he gets hit a lot, he'll start making bad decisions. Also, he had some fumbling issues last year. It hasn't been a problem this year, but he has also received great protection. I think Trask's success and failure will depend on who drafts him. With the right coach and system, he could have a Matt Ryan/Matt Schaub esque career. With the wrong coach and system, he likely ends up being a career backup/spot starter type.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Forge said:

It's a really interesting question on trading up. I'd be curious to see l hear how many people would be good with giving up this year's first + next year's first to get a qb like Wilson

I'd have no problem with giving up two 1's for a QBOTF. I just wonder if it'll be enough 

The draft order could clear itself out as time goes on, but for now we're tied with several teams at 4-6 and could have a pick as low as 15 (since one of the 3 win NFCE teams will win the division).

15 to 2 or 3 is a big jump 

Just now, 49ersfan said:

I'd have no problem with giving up two 1's for a QBOTF. I just wonder if it'll be enough 

The draft order could clear itself out as time goes on, but for now we're tied with several teams at 4-6 and could have a pick as low as 15 (since one of the 3 win NFCE teams will win the division).

15 to 2 or 3 is a big jump 

My gut is that we pick between 9-12. We are going to lose a lot to finish the season

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

My gut is that we pick between 9-12. We are going to lose a lot to finish the season

Like the 2018 season. Those were some painful losses but it led to Bosa. If these upcoming losses lead to a QBOTF, than in the long run it'll be worth it.

Still gona be frustrating to watch the next 6 weeks though lol

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think he has some similarities to Nick Foles. He won't elevate a team, but in the right system with the right players around him, he can win you games and play quality football. First and foremost, you need to protect him. He's not very mobile and will make some bad decisions when pressured. Has a bit of a gunslinger mindset. Very middling physical tools (not very mobile with a fairly average arm). Sees the field exceptionally well, processes things quickly, knows where to go with the ball, and throws a very catchable football. Also has phenomenal eye discipline (routinely moves defenders with his eyes) and touch.

He does fit your system well, as it gives a QB who knows where to go with the ball a lot of YAC opportunities. Trask fits well in that sort of system. I think he needs to be on a team that either has great YAC WRs or big targets. The two big issues I see in his play are both related to decision making. First, the longer he holds the ball, the more likely he is to force a bad throw. He needs to do a better job of giving up on plays when nothing is there. He'll force passes late. Second, he'll attack coverages in college and get away with it that won't work with his arm strength in the NFL. He needs to be more precise with his ball placement. He's not bad in this regard, but he won't have a lot of margin for error in the NFL due to his average arm. 

Ultimately, I think he's a good fit in your scheme. Shanny schemes his players open well. Trask is very smart and is the sort of guy who will know where to go with it. But you have to keep him protected. He's not going to escape pressure well, and if he gets hit a lot, he'll start making bad decisions. Also, he had some fumbling issues last year. It hasn't been a problem this year, but he has also received great protection. I think Trask's success and failure will depend on who drafts him. With the right coach and system, he could have a Matt Ryan/Matt Schaub esque career. With the wrong coach and system, he likely ends up being a career backup/spot starter type.

Thanks for the breakdown.

Well, for the keep him protected part? That's definitely not happening with this OL. Seems like Shanny and the FO prioritize getting OL that are good run blockers over pass blockers. It is frustrating but this isn't something that will change over the next season or so. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Thanks for the breakdown.

Well, for the keep him protected part? That's definitely not happening with this OL. Seems like Shanny and the FO prioritize getting OL that are good run blockers over pass blockers. It is frustrating but this isn't something that will change over the next season or so. 

Yeah, if you can't protect him, he's probably not the best pick.