2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Newsome if CB4. His recovery and work on double moves is also impressive. 

Rank the top 5. I don't watch much college football so I just watch prospects after the season. I haven't watched enough prospects but was impressed with Newsome and Johnson. Newsome would be a great fit for the traditional cover 3 but I think Ryans wants to run more press man from the corners. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Rank the top 5. I don't watch much college football so I just watch prospects after the season. I haven't watched enough prospects but was impressed with Newsome and Johnson. Newsome would be a great fit for the traditional cover 3 but I think Ryans wants to run more press man from the corners. 

Top 3 are who you would expect, of course.  4 for me is Newsome. 5. Elijah Molden (though he's a lock to probably be stuck in the slot or move to safety). 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If you want a guy to have some fun with, I'd check out Shakur Brown. Really high chance that he's going to bust, but you can see a lot there as well.

Brown has been a guy I've taken in a lot of my TDN mock drafts. He's definitely worth a shot a little later in the draft. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Molden is a baller where ever he plays. 

Thoughts on Samuel Jr? 

I have questions about whether he can physically match-up with NFL level WRs on the outside. Think he'd be terriffic in the slot though. Think he definitely has the laterally quickness to stay with most guys though he looks most instinctive in zone (like father, like son lol). Great ball skills as well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I have questions about whether he can physically match-up with NFL level WRs on the outside. Think he'd be terriffic in the slot though. Think he definitely has the laterally quickness to stay with most guys though he looks most instinctive in zone (like father, like son lol). Great ball skills as well. 

See I don't see a zone corner and it completely takes away from his strengths. He is the classic off ball corner that will make his fair share of plays while allowing some in the process. Definitely has a lot of similarities to his father. 

He fits a cover 3 defense, just don't know if that is what Ryans is looking for.

This is why I said Spoon fits the type of defense Ryans wants to run almost better than anyone but no clue if he wants to return or if the team wants him back. But there was no coincidence are corner play was as good as it had been all season in the last three weeks when Spoon/Verrett played up close to the LOS and were often times left on an island while Saleh called up his blitzes. 

I need to watch more on this corner class but not sure how many actually fit what Ryans will be wanting to run. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

See I don't see a zone corner and it completely takes away from his strengths. He is the classic off ball corner that will make his fair share of plays while allowing some in the process. Definitely has a lot of similarities to his father. 

He fits a cover 3 defense, just don't know if that is what Ryans is looking for.

This is why I said Spoon fits the type of defense Ryans wants to run almost better than anyone but no clue if he wants to return or if the team wants him back. But there was no coincidence are corner play was as good as it had been all season in the last three weeks when Spoon/Verrett played up close to the LOS and were often times left on an island while Saleh called up his blitzes. 

I need to watch more on this corner class but not sure how many actually fit what Ryans will be wanting to run. 

He does look more natural coming out of his his backpedal breaking on balls in front of him so I can see where you're coming from with the off-man stuff. But he does display nice instincts and good spacial awareness in zone, which is still a good chunk of our scheme. 

Edited by 757-NINER

32 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He looks does more natural coming out of his his backpedal breaking on balls in front of him so I can see where you're coming from with the off-man stuff. But he does display nice instincts and good spacial awareness in zone, which is still a good chunk of our scheme. 

Sorry, I meant I don't see a "slot" corner not a zone corner, which he certainly is. Dude is a off man corner 100%. He's an outside corner through and through. 

I've been watching Fields this morning. I don't like his footwork. When he's in QB mode, his feet are slow. When he's in RPO mode, he's quick. In the pocket, his footwork looks choreographed, rather than instinctive. And he falls apart when he has pressure in his face. But then, if he gets to go off script and rolls out, he comes alive, he can make throws on the run, he can make plays with his feet. But he really doesn't have a great feel for the pocket, in my opinion. He doesn't move in the pocket, he stands on his spot until he's challenged, then breaks off. And I don't think we can provide him the protection that will make him a good pocket passer. He has the feet, so maybe he can learn better footwork. But if he doesn't recognize the pressure, he'll be in trouble. Then again, is it a by-product of his offense and how the calls work? The footwork can always be worked on. But how much can he be taught... that's the question the staff has to answer. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

that's the question the staff has to answer. 

Assuming that the staff cares at all lol. 

I'm thinking that there is a high likelihood that Trent isn't back. I'd start looking at the tackles who could be there at 12. Corners and edge guys too. I really think the selection is one of those three. 

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I've been watching Fields this morning. I don't like his footwork. When he's in QB mode, his feet are slow. When he's in RPO mode, he's quick. In the pocket, his footwork looks choreographed, rather than instinctive. And he falls apart when he has pressure in his face. But then, if he gets to go off script and rolls out, he comes alive, he can make throws on the run, he can make plays with his feet. But he really doesn't have a great feel for the pocket, in my opinion. He doesn't move in the pocket, he stands on his spot until he's challenged, then breaks off. And I don't think we can provide him the protection that will make him a good pocket passer. He has the feet, so maybe he can learn better footwork. But if he doesn't recognize the pressure, he'll be in trouble. Then again, is it a by-product of his offense and how the calls work? The footwork can always be worked on. But how much can he be taught... that's the question the staff has to answer. 

This. He does not look impressive enough from the pocket for me. Definitely not enough to warrant a top 10 pick imo. I've stated before his off-script plays are Watson/Allen/Jackson-esque and that's enticing. But its not of enough of them to justify his lack of feel and poise in the pocket. 

• Like 2