2021 Draft Thread

John232

8 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Yep, I can agree with that to a degree. I’m basing that off of the ‘high-intelligence, ability to grasp a system quickly, point and shoot play style pocket passing’. I was very surprised to learn that Mac had started as many games as Lance. My analysis is based off the majority of scouting reports at this time, which is why i see him fitting in early,but the ceiling isn’t there

My hope is that whomever we draft sits (unless we get an offer we can't refuse on Jimmy). 

If we get an offer on Jimmy, I'm probably just gonna start the rookie. The tricky part is the relationship with the players. If you sold them on a super bowl run only to start a 20 year old I feel like that could impact future relationships? I dunno, what do you think? 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

My hope is that whomever we draft sits (unless we get an offer we can't refuse on Jimmy). 

If we get an offer on Jimmy, I'm probably just gonna start the rookie. The tricky part is the relationship with the players. If you sold them on a super bowl run only to start a 20 year old I feel like that could impact future relationships? I dunno, what do you think? 

I think the same thing in terms of a SB run, players like K. Williams came back wanting to go for a run, you get rid of Jimmy and throw in a rookie, that is all but shot IMO. That’s a tough sell for a lot of 1 year contracts 

That is selling Jimmy short and players would not respect that

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

This big man can move! 

I wasn't paying much attention to him because I thought we was going to be one of those EDGE guys that has to kick inside because they're not athletic enough to rush from the EDGE, but I might have to look into Basham a little more now.

He is so massive. Basham, Kinlaw, DJJ/Givens, armstead would be an absolute massive four guys to have on the field at the same time. so much beef.  

He is a bit of a projection, much like Kinlaw was in the sense his size will translate but he has sloppy technique at times. Needs a better first step. Is a handful when he does get a good jump, so you see the upside there. Seems like he has good hands. Has good awareness of what the offense is doing and you see him chasing plays from the backside a lot.

He does get washed out a lot though. Sloppy technique will do that. doesnt figure out a way to regain leverage when he loses it. thats a bad sign. 

He is the kind of guy that Kocurek could get his hands on and turn into an elite DE in about 3-4 years. His upside is Danielle Hunter-ish, but its going to take a lot to get there 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah I agree will be interesting. Lance was my dream at 12 or a small trade up to 7. I never thought we would actually move up to 3 and be able to get Fields. God we still have a month before the draft.

I want to move up the draft to late february. Waiting until late april is unbearable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I wish the draft was before free agency would make things crazy. 

Imagine this : Superbowl. A week later, combine. Few weeks later, draft. Then free agency immediately after. Then winter league for rookies, undrafted free agents and practice squad eligible players. Then break. Then training camp in August. 

Edited by rudyZ

41 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I've never wanted an entire month to go by in a blink of an eye as much as I want the next 27 days to go by.

If the 49ers mess this up, this takes us out of contention for the next 5-7 years.

Mac Jones keeps you competent. If shanny just wants an extension of himself that's his guy. If you're fortunate, you strike lightning for one of those seasons like we did with Jimmy and the Rams did for goff. By the second contract i believe you're in the same boat you're in now. 

The team should have a reasonable floor between years 2-4 though

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Mac Jones keeps you competent. If shanny just wants an extension of himself that's his guy. If you're fortunate, you strike lightning for one of those seasons like we did with Jimmy and the Rams did for goff. By the second contract i believe you're in the same boat you're in now. 

Its such a hard one to quantify how good QB's like Mac are/will be. The things he has to shine in aren't really easy for home scouts to see and don't stand out as much as the play of guys like Fields or Lance who just sling it around which looks way more impressive. Where Mac has to shine is above the shoulders. Its why comping players to a Tom Brady is almost impossible to do. For every Tom Brady there is 10/20 Kirk Cousins and 30/40 AJ McCarrons. If he maxes out and does the things that make Brady so much better than the others(even aside from what he does on the field like the contracts Brady has signed) you have a star QB. In this offense i think he can become a Cousins type guy where you are never really hating what he does but also never really feel you get the most out of the position. With the others if you hit you hit big and they probably don't stick around as long as a McCorkle if they don't simply because of the bias towards more physically limited QB's who have the smarts as back-up QB's.

23 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Its such a hard one to quantify how good QB's like Mac are/will be. The things he has to shine in aren't really easy for home scouts to see and don't stand out as much as the play of guys like Fields or Lance who just sling it around which looks way more impressive. Where Mac has to shine is above the shoulders. Its why comping players to a Tom Brady is almost impossible to do. For every Tom Brady there is 10/20 Kirk Cousins and 30/40 AJ McCarrons. If he maxes out and does the things that make Brady so much better than the others(even aside from what he does on the field like the contracts Brady has signed) you have a star QB. In this offense i think he can become a Cousins type guy where you are never really hating what he does but also never really feel you get the most out of the position. With the others if you hit you hit big and they probably don't stick around as long as a McCorkle if they don't simply because of the bias towards more physically limited QB's who have the smarts as back-up QB's.

The problem with guys like Cousins, Carr, guys like that is that they scare fans. They don't want to get stuck in a spot where the team is good enough to be lower level competent but never bad enough to bottom out to solve the problem. QB purgatory is a real place. I think that there's a not too small subsect of fans who would much rather draft a full on bust than a guy that just hangs on for 8 years.

You look at a guy like Cousins and the fact that they aren't any better than when they had Keenum and people get bothered by it. It's actually not fair to the player, but I think the fear for fans on that is legitimate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I keep thinking about this... this whole notion that Kyle wants a QB who will do exactly what he wants, play within the structure, execute. If Kyle is smart as we think he is, as much of an offensive genius as we think he is, he'll take advantage of a guy who can play outside the structure, by building room for it within his play design. Kyle can tell the QB "The first two reads are mine, then you can try to create something", and he'll create opportunity for the QB after the first two reads, to find someone open somewhere. Or he'll tell him on certain plays not to go outside the structure, that if he sticks to the reads, he WILL find something. And other plays will be more wide open. There's room for both. And if he's a genius, he'll find ways to take advantage of both.

2 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I keep thinking about this... this whole notion that Kyle wants a QB who will do exactly what he wants, play within the structure, execute. If Kyle is smart as we think he is, as much of an offensive genius as we think he is, he'll take advantage of a guy who can play outside the structure, by building room for it within his play design. Kyle can tell the QB "The first two reads are mine, then you can try to create something", and he'll create opportunity for the QB after the first two reads, to find someone open somewhere. Or he'll tell him on certain plays not to go outside the structure, that if he sticks to the reads, he WILL find something. And other plays will be more wide open. There's room for both. And if he's a genius, he'll find ways to take advantage of both.

It's the most irritating thing about this whole thing. I'm far more annoyed by the reasoning that people give for drafting Mac Jones than I am with the possibility of actually drafting Mac Jones lol