2021 Draft Thread

John232

7 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

I remember a lot of folks were really high on Sam Darnold in the draft. If he and Zach Wilson were both in this draft, who would be the pick?

Wilson.

I wasn't too high on Darnold to be honest. His tape his last year in college was very inconsistent. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, gridirongorilla said:

I remember a lot of folks were really high on Sam Darnold in the draft. If he and Zach Wilson were both in this draft, who would be the pick?

Depends on who you ask. There are a lot of people who were, and still are rather high on Darnold. Like, DJ put this out a few days back 

On 4/3/2021 at 8:16 AM, Forge said:

I mean, this isn't strictly speaking true, but this cracks me up for some reason

If the Bengals go with a WR/TE when the best LT prospect of the last 10 years is available they deserve to be mediocre. 

Would love peoples opinions on who they feel are the most reliable sources when it comes to Niners nuggets and who's words you would immediately disregard. It seems like people are souring on the usual local sources like Maiocco and we have the usual suspect reporters like Kawakami who's hit and miss. And what do you think about the likes of Rapoport, La Canfora, Brooks (rhetorical here), that reports league wide etc... Thanks.

56 minutes ago, Psychlone said:

Would love peoples opinions on who they feel are the most reliable sources when it comes to Niners nuggets and who's words you would immediately disregard. It seems like people are souring on the usual local sources like Maiocco and we have the usual suspect reporters like Kawakami who's hit and miss. And what do you think about the likes of Rapoport, La Canfora, Brooks (rhetorical here), that reports league wide etc... Thanks.

Are you talking with regards to the draft, or just in general? 

In general, I trust Ian, Shefty (though he doesn't really do the "rumor" circuit any more), Josina and Jeremy Fowler. There are probably a few more, but I am just forgetting them. Mort, guys like that. But we don't really give out much information. 

For the draft? Not really anyone because most of it's meaningless. In terms of a round 1, pick 3, nobody is going to know and any other pick is too dependent on variables going right. We can bring people in and maybe we have interest in them and maybe we don't. In the past one of the most clear indicators that we may draft someone has been bringing them in for pre-draft visits, however that is not allowed this year. 

2 hours ago, Psychlone said:

Maiocco may have made a huge sucker move but he's still the best at what he does. Non-draft stuff he has the best stuff minus the top national reporters. 

With the draft? Just hard to say. It is clear all the Mac Jones news is coming from teams around the league and not the Niners themselves. That's to say it is all guess work and no one knows anything lol. 

8 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Heard Peter King is good for 49ers info

About a week before the draft, I'm going to be paying close attention to what he's saying. If he's saying Mac, it's probably Mac. 

• Like 1

Looked up Peter King's 1st round mocks from 2017 out of curiosity. 

2020 - Had us trading down from 13 to NE for Tua. Picked Josh Jones with NE's pick. Also has trading down from 31 to DAL for 2 picks & says we'll target a DT & WR with those picks. 

2019 - Nick Bosa

2018 - Roquan Smith. Says he also considered McGlinchey & Denzel Ward. 

2017 - Solomon Thomas

So he was correct for 2017 & 2019, mentioned the player we actually picked in 2018 as a backup pick (Roquan  & Ward were already selected when we were on the clock), and correctly guessed our positions in 2020 as OT, WR, & DT. 

Edited by 49ersfan

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Looked up Peter King's 1st round mocks from 2017 out of curiosity. 

2020 - Had us trading down from 13 to NE for Tua & picking Josh Jones. Also has trading down from 31 to DAL for 2 picks & says we'll target a DT & WR with those picks. 

2019 - Nick Bosa. Obvious

2018 - Roquan Smith. Says he also considered McGlinchey & Denzel Ward. 

2017 - Solomon Thomas

So he was correct for 2017 & 2019, mentioned the player we actually picked in 2018 as a backup pick (Roquan went #8 to Chicago), and correctly guessed our positions in 2020 as OT, WR, & DT. 

It's more than just the mocks. Those are too variable based.  He was the first to break our interest in mcg and last year was early on the kinlaw selection

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's more than just the mocks. Those are too variable based.  He was the first to break our interest in mcg and last year was early on the kinlaw selection

The mocks are pretty decent too. In every single blurb, he got our player right, mentioned a backup player who we could pick, or the positions we would target. 

Not sure how he's so well connected to the FO. I don't remember him being this well connected before the ShanaLynch days. But yeah, Maiocco's podcast where he seems convinced we'll pick Mac, King seeming convinced we'll pick Mac..

25 more days to go of this

Edited by 49ersfan

Speaking of Peter King, Justin Fields is the lead story in his latest article. Yet, the Niners aren't mentioned at all as a possible destination...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/05/justin-fields-dan-orlovsky-nfl-draft-fmia-peter-king/

In an ideal world, Fields goes to a team with no pressure to play right away and a good teacher of the position: Atlanta (head coach Arthur Smith) at four, New England (offensive coordinator John McDaniels) at 15 or with a trade-up, or New Orleans (Sean Payton, though the Saints pick 28th). Before the draft, players want to be taken as high as possible. Then they find out it’s more about where you go, not how high you go. The golden spot for a young quarterback is Atlanta. Smith’s a good teacher, and Matt Ryan’s a perfect tutor for a season or two. But it’s no sure thing the Falcons—who could take a franchise tackle or perhaps the best overall player in the draft in Florida tight end Kyle Pitts—will even take the heir to Ryan. So Fields will be a man of mystery in the next 24 days, till the first round is picked.

21 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

The mocks are pretty decent too. In every single blurb, he got our player right, mentioned a backup player who we could pick, or the positions we would target. 

Not sure how he's so well connected to the FO. I don't remember him being this well connected before the ShanaLynch days. But yeah, Maiocco's podcast where he seems convinced we'll pick Mac, King seeming convinced we'll pick Mac..

25 more days to go of this

I'm still way in on fields and Lance being the most likely. This stuff just further locks it in for me