2021 Draft Thread

John232

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I always liked Dyami Brown, but man watching more of him and I think he's the guy I want in the 2nd round. Just not impressed with the corners or edge players in that range and Brown is dynamic. Just continue stacking the skill position for Mac Jones lol. 

I'm a big Brown fan as well. Toney is my top choice at WR if he some how makes it to the 2nd round, I'd trade up for him in a heart beat. I also like Elijah Moore quite a bit and would be happy with him at 43. 

There are only a few specific guys I'd take at 43 and if they're gone, I'd gladly trade down. 

My guys:

• Javonte Williams, RB
  • Travis Etienne, RB
  • Najee Harris, RB
  • Kadarius Toney, WR
  • Terrace Marshall, WR
  • Elijah Moore, WR
  • Dyami Brown, WR
  • Joe Tryon, EDGE
  • Joseph Ossai, EDGE
  • Asante Samuel, CB
  • Elijah Molden, DB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I'm in the office today so unable to listen...i'll have to listen when i get home. But its interesting to hear the tide shifting (at least a little i'm guessing) from 2 respected reporters

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

lol @ picking between Kirk Cousins and RG3 by the end of their time in Washington. Really? RG3's knee was destroyed. They are reaching big time on their reasoning. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, GW21 said:

lol @ picking between Kirk Cousins and RG3 by the end of their time in Washington. Really? RG3's knee was destroyed. They are reaching big time on their reasoning. 

I know these guys are tied in, but their take on the situation is very elementary. King says that because of Jones' completion percentage this past season, he's the most accurate QB in the class and beyond. Well, we know there's more to that and actually that honor goes to Fields when you look past the raw completion percentage. He should know that. 

I agree with Schrager's take on the level of unknown with Lance, but that's about it for me. He got a bit lazy with his comparisons and made it sound like Jones' is a can't-miss guy, which I don't buy. Schrager made some weird comps and very stereotypical ones, which were way off.

Schrager's comp for Mac Jones - Cousins and Brees

Schrager's comp for Lance and Fields - RG3, Tebow, and Lamar Jackson. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I know these guys are tied in, but their take on the situation is very elementary. King says that because of Jones' completion percentage this past season, he's the most accurate QB in the class and beyond. Well, we know there's more to that and actually that honor goes to Fields when you look past the raw completion percentage. He should know that. 

I agree with Schrager's take on the level of unknown with Lance, but that's about it for me. He got a bit lazy with his comparisons and made it sound like Jones' is a can't-miss guy, which I don't buy. Schrager made some weird comps and very stereotypical ones, which were way off.

Honestly you can only wonder what comps Fields would get if he didn't run as fast as he did. Can only imagine how different those would be while really he isn't a running QB just like Wilson to me isn't a running QB. Both those guys can beat you in the pocket first. Running QB's to me are guys like Jackson or Newton where if you can force them to beat you through the air they aren't as effective(doesn't make them bad QBs just different types and especially  with Jackson i think the offense has caused him to not develop his passing game as much as he would have if he played for most other teams).

12 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly you can only wonder what comps Fields would get if he didn't run as fast as he did. Can only imagine how different those would be while really he isn't a running QB just like Wilson to me isn't a running QB. Both those guys can beat you in the pocket first. Running QB's to me are guys like Jackson or Newton where if you can force them to beat you through the air they aren't as effective(doesn't make them bad QBs just different types and especially  with Jackson i think the offense has caused him to not develop his passing game as much as he would have if he played for most other teams).

100%. Jackson is an offensive playmaker and a living highlight reel, but he's also a runner who happens to be able to do some passing. Newton started out in that mold as well, but actually progressed toward more of a passer due to coaching. Roman is not interested in passing. He wants run after run after run and he's very good at a rushing offense, which to your point, hinders Jackson's progression as a passer. 

With Fields, he's a passer who happens to be athletic enough to run. More in the mold of a Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson. They can beat you with their legs, but they're way more interested in beating you through the air. His eyes don't go down to the ground when the poop hits the fan, he shuffles himself around out of danger to hit the open receiver. He will tuck it and go, but it's not his first instinct. 

• Like 2

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

100%. Jackson is an offensive playmaker and a living highlight reel, but he's also a runner who happens to be able to do some passing. Newton started out in that mold as well, but actually progressed toward more of a passer due to coaching. Roman is not interested in passing. He wants run after run after run and he's very good at a rushing offense, which to your point, hinders Jackson's progression as a passer. 

With Fields, he's a passer who happens to be athletic enough to run. More in the mold of a Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson. They can beat you with their legs, but they're way more interested in beating you through the air. His eyes don't go down to the ground when the poop hits the fan, he shuffles himself around out of danger to hit the open receiver. He will tuck it and go, but it's not his first instinct. 

And like, he's not accurate for a mobile, physical big-armed guy (like, just above the Bortles line) - he's just intensely, absurdly accurate, including on the rollout (but not really without his feet underneath him - if you want that sort of improv work, Wilson's your guy). I don't know how you could watch just about any of his tape and not see that. He drills balls routinely on the run to the perfect spot that I don't think most guys in this class could complete flat footed. And forget about when he can set his feet in the pocket. If you let him do that, there are games on his tape with like an ADOT of 15 where he was going 20/21 and such. I heard one take talking about how Mac Jones' 77% percent completion percentage is absurd (and it is - Jones is ludicrously accurate in short areas and zapped a ton of screens and slants to victory), but Fields from 10 to 35 yards out is the most accurate quarterback I've ever seen. And that's your money area in the NFL. Forget everything else. Forget that he can basically be a one read guy because his presence in the run game will commit extra defenders. Forget that he can drop 65 yard bombs on folks. If you want a guy drilling a deep over off playaction, he'll do it more often than anyone else in the class. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I've said from jump, Fields comp is Watson. I would even say he's more along the lines of a Josh Allen w/o the rediculous arm but more way more accurate. How ppl get RG3 and Jackson from watching Fields play is just a lazy take on all levels. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

Just now, 757-NINER said:

I've said from jump, Fields comp is Watson. I would even say he's more along the lines of a Josh Allen w/o rediculous arm but more accurate. How ppl get RG3 and Jackson from watching Fields play is just a lazy take on all levels. 

Yeah, this year's Josh Allen is a lot like how he plays. He doesn't quite have Allen's velocity, but he's even more of a rushing threat - and Allen lived off that to be just below a league average QB for two years before the accuracy jumped. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

He's right about a couple of things here. I see Mac as a Kirk Cousins type QB and what round did Kirk go? oh yeah. fourth round. 

Lance isn't Tebow or Lamar Jackson. Could he be Rg3 before the knee, he could. 

29 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

He's right about a couple of things here. I see Mac as a Kirk Cousins type QB and what round did Kirk go? oh yeah. fourth round. 

Lance isn't Tebow or Lamar Jackson. Could he be Rg3 before the knee, he could. 

I'm pretty sure if that draft was done again, Cousins would be a round 1 QB. I don't think draft position matters much in this comparison. 

I also think Lance is closer to Josh Allen than RG3.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm pretty sure if that draft was done again, Cousins would be a round 1 QB. I don't think draft position matters much in this comparison. 

I also think Lance is closer to Josh Allen than RG3.

true but I just think its funny that a guy who's ceiling is the same as kirk, is projected to be a top three pick when Kirk didn't even get picked before R4.