Jump to content

2021 Draft Thread


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Forge said:

It's a really interesting question on trading up. I'd be curious to see l hear how many people would be good with giving up this year's first + next year's first to get a qb like Wilson

I would in a second. I love Wilson. He's my draft crush this year.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Forge said:

It's a really interesting question on trading up. I'd be curious to see l hear how many people would be good with giving up this year's first + next year's first to get a qb like Wilson

I haven't evaluated Wilson yet, but if what I'm seeing on the occasional highlight accurately reflects his skill-set, I don't know that you'll be able to trade up and get him.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I haven't evaluated Wilson yet, but if what I'm seeing on the occasional highlight accurately reflects his skill-set, I don't know that you'll be able to trade up and get him.

All depends on where he goes and who's drafting where. If Fields goes before Wilson, there will be a shot. Cincy picks at number 3...I don't think that they trade down and lose Sewell, but there's an opportunity there. Dallas is picking 4. If they have Dak in the fold, they could easily trade down. Chargers / Giants / Dolphins are currently 6-8 and unlikely to take a QB (Giants would be the most questionable one and I don't think that they are doing that). So until we know the draft order or the swing has definitely gone Wilson > Fields, it has to be considered a possibility this early in the game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Forge said:

All depends on where he goes and who's drafting where. If Fields goes before Wilson, there will be a shot. Cincy picks at number 3...I don't think that they trade down and lose Sewell, but there's an opportunity there. Dallas is picking 4. If they have Dak in the fold, they could easily trade down. Chargers / Giants / Dolphins are currently 6-8 and unlikely to take a QB (Giants would be the most questionable one and I don't think that they are doing that). So until we know the draft order or the swing has definitely gone Wilson > Fields, it has to be considered a possibility this early in the game. 

I don't think there's anyway Fields goes ahead of Wilson. I just don't see it at this point. And if Lawerence doesn't declare, Wilson is the first QB off the board. He just looks better than the rest of the field from my eye test. Not close really.

I think we would be smart taking a QB later because all the guys after Lawerence & Wilson I would pretty much lump together. There's not a significant talent gap from a guy like Trask to a Costello for me so all the guys are pretty much in the same tier after those two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2020 at 5:57 PM, 757-NINER said:

I don't think there's anyway Fields goes ahead of Wilson. I just don't see it at this point. And if Lawerence doesn't declare, Wilson is the first QB off the board. He just looks better than the rest of the field from my eye test. Not close really.

I think we would be smart taking a QB later because all the guys after Lawerence & Wilson I would pretty much lump together. There's not a significant talent gap from a guy like Trask to a Costello for me so all the guys are pretty much in the same tier after those two.

I think there are probably quite a few teams that have fields higher than Wilson, and I'm sure that will be the case at the end of the year, so I think it's certainly still open. There are a number of people still high on fields. The talent is evident, even if I'm lukewarm on it

I'm all in on first round qb. If they are gone by the time we pick, I probably don't have much interest in drafting one

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 9:44 PM, Forge said:

I'm all in on first round qb. If they are gone by the time we pick, I probably don't have much interest in drafting one

I agree with the first sentence but I think we need to add someone. Mullens is fine as a backup next year no matter who our QB is but I would like to add a toosly project QB late that we can develop 

Not in the 2nd, but we need to take someone in the 5th or 6th if we don't draft a guy in the first 

What do you think of Iowa st QB purdy? Not necessarily the toolsy guy I would want but he seems like he could be ok in the right system 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, N4L said:

I agree with the first sentence but I think we need to add someone. Mullens is fine as a backup next year no matter who our QB is but I would like to add a toosly project QB late that we can develop 

Not in the 2nd, but we need to take someone in the 5th or 6th if we don't draft a guy in the first 

What do you think of Iowa st QB purdy? Not necessarily the toolsy guy I would want but he seems like he could be ok in the right system 

 

Agreed, if there is all of a sudden a rush on qbs taken, we can’t panic and start reaching (or trading up) on a qb, we need to take BPA. We don’t have a lot of picks this year, depending on how high we would have to trade up. We can get someone in the 2nd or later. If the qbs start flying off the board I would imagine one of the top corners will be there or Oline. Get someone like Fitzpatrick in FA who can be a bridge and help any rookie that we may get later in the draft and I’ll be happy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now granted I don’t think we are going to win a lot more games anyways, so there’s a possibility that one of the top qbs will be in our lap at our selection. I only had us winning 2 more games honestly (if even that). The Rams were the only toss up for a possible 3, but they are playing better now. The 2 I had were WAS and DAL, but Washington has a good defense and their offense isn’t that bad. Plus we know Alex plays it safe. So maybe 1? Time will tell

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to throw a different situation at you guys.  The QBs that we want are gone, with the pick do we go best OL available or trade it for a 2nd and next years 1st to try to get ammo for getting a QB down the road?  I have not scouted anything this year other than watching Wilson at the LA tech / BYU game where I wanted to watch more of him... you can guess who I would like in the draft but the seems to be trying to move himself out of position.  I would also be down to trade a future pick or two for him but that is not what I am asking here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, N4L said:

I agree with the first sentence but I think we need to add someone. Mullens is fine as a backup next year no matter who our QB is but I would like to add a toosly project QB late that we can develop 

Not in the 2nd, but we need to take someone in the 5th or 6th if we don't draft a guy in the first 

What do you think of Iowa st QB purdy? Not necessarily the toolsy guy I would want but he seems like he could be ok in the right system 

 

I mean, you don't "need" to do anything with a 6th round pick. Back up QBs are a dime a dozen and there is no more merit to selecting a quarterback in the later rounds than there is another position. This team is not demonstrably in a better or worse situation if we take a QB in round 6 or not.  If we pick one, fine, but I don't have any specific interest in it (unless its a guy I viewed as like a second day selection or something and it's just great value).

Given the spot we are in, a 5th / 6th round pick at another position could actually crack the line up in some places, or be a special teams contributor of some sort. So if I have that option available, given where the team currently stands, I'll take my chance on those types especially given that we already lack a third round pick which certainly could have been used on an immediate contributor. This gets a little player specific, and I could probably throw out a ton of different names, but  a guy like Elijah Molden could easily go in this 5th round area and be an immediate competitor for the starting slot corner spot on this team 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Quote

 

Trey Lance QB

PROJECTED TEAM
San Francisco
PROSPECT RNK
6th
POSITION RNK
3rd
 
I don't think San Francisco has been satisfied with the play of Jimmy Garoppolo even without the injury. I could envision Kyle Shanahan wanting a more mobile quarterback to make his offense even more difficult to defend. Trey Lance is a passer first but more than capable of getting yardage on the ground.

 

 
Cbs. 
 
This is the one I can't determine how I feel about. I don't know what to do with Lance. Quite possibly the hardest evaluation I have ever tried to make. So many damn flags, but I will admit the ceiling is insane. 
 
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Forge said:

 

 

 
Cbs. 
 
This is the one I can't determine how I feel about. I don't know what to do with Lance. Quite possibly the hardest evaluation I have ever tried to make. So many damn flags, but I will admit the ceiling is insane. 
 
 

He's not playing year one. So in this case you take him and sign a veteran in the mean time. Really interested in seeing where he goes. Can go top 10 or drop to the 20s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's not playing year one. So in this case you take him and sign a veteran in the mean time. Really interested in seeing where he goes. Can go top 10 or drop to the 20s.

Yeah, he's got to sit out for sure. But that worries me as well because then you're talking 2 years without any real experience, and a total collegiate sample size of just close to 300 passes, which is just insane. And I Don't think that he's played a single Div I opponent. I believe every one of his game has been against an FCS team.  But he's got MVP level upside. I really just don't know what to do with him. I know I wouldn't hate the pick...but I think I'd be both excited and terrified lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, you don't "need" to do anything with a 6th round pick. Back up QBs are a dime a dozen and there is no more merit to selecting a quarterback in the later rounds than there is another position. This team is not demonstrably in a better or worse selection if we take a QB in round 6 or not.  If we pick one, fine, but I don't have any specific interest in it. Given the spot we are in, a 5th / 6th round pick at another position could actually crack the line up in some places, or be a special teams contributor of some sort. So if I have that option available, given where the team currently stands, I'll take my chance on those types especially given that we already lack a third round pick which certainly could have been used on an immediate contributor. 

I understand all of this, but the way I am looking at it is that I want someone to develop who other teams actually feel has a legitimate chance to becoming a starting QB (assuming no QB in the first)

I don't want to ignore the position this off-season and think we can find some developmental UDFA we can groom. QB is such an important position that I don't want a guy that other teams dont feel is worth a 7th round pick at least. 

So it's not about reaching for a guy obviously, but we cant get cute with it anymore. It's time to value QB highly and go out and get a guy with actual upside. Udfa QBs are pipe dreams

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...