2021 Draft Thread

John232

11 minutes ago, N4L said:

I understand all of this, but the way I am looking at it is that I want someone to develop who other teams actually feel has a legitimate chance to becoming a starting QB (assuming no QB in the first)

I don't want to ignore the position this off-season and think we can find some developmental UDFA we can groom. QB is such an important position that I don't want a guy that other teams dont feel is worth a 7th round pick at least. 

So it's not about reaching for a guy obviously, but we cant get cute with it anymore. It's time to value QB highly and go out and get a guy with actual upside. Udfa QBs are pipe dreams

If you're getting the guy in the 6th, the odds that he has "a legitimate chance to be a starter" is probably not a thing. That's what I'm saying. If you're drafting a guy in the 6th, it's ostensibly the same as ignoring the position or just grabbing someone as a UDFA. There are plenty of UDFAs out there who have draftable grades from other teams. May be that they just didn't need him or had other guys rated higher. Being undrafted doesn't mean that you were undraftable to every team, just that the scenario worked against you. I mean, we took Beathard in round three and I had a UDFA grade on him and I know that others around here did as well, so the inverse 100% happens as well. We could draft a guy in the 6th and every other team had an undraftable grade on him, so why do you feel better about him just because we spent a pick on him? The difference between 6th rounder - UDFA prospect caliber is so negligible it's non existent. In a vacuum of generality, I don't feel better about a player just because we drafted him. There are specific players that I may feel better about drafting because i was higher on them then where we drafted them. I mean, if Mac Jones falls into the fifth, yes, take him. I think hes a far better prospect than that. If Brock Purdy is there in the fifth, it's not that big of a deal for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, he's got to sit out for sure. But that worries me as well because then you're talking 2 years without any real experience, and a total collegiate sample size of just close to 300 passes, which is just insane. And I Don't think that he's played a single Div I opponent. I believe every one of his game has been against an FCS team.  But he's got MVP level upside. I really just don't know what to do with him. I know I wouldn't hate the pick...but I think I'd be both excited and terrified lol

I bet Shanahan goes for Lance if given the opportunity. He knows it will be a risk but he's probably thinking with his coaching he can get him right and Lance can open up his play calling. His mindset has likely changed over the last few years with the way the QB position is now being played. If we go Lance, then I'd say there is a good chance Jimmy returns. This way he can hedge his bet a bit and run it back with a similar team he had in 2019.

I agree that if Lance sits out that is scary that it would be yet another year of him not getting any live game action. Why did he not transfer? Well, I guess he knows he's a first round pick regardless so he didn't have much to gain going that route. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, he's got to sit out for sure. But that worries me as well because then you're talking 2 years without any real experience, and a total collegiate sample size of just close to 300 passes, which is just insane. And I Don't think that he's played a single Div I opponent. I believe every one of his game has been against an FCS team.  But he's got MVP level upside. I really just don't know what to do with him. I know I wouldn't hate the pick...but I think I'd be both excited and terrified lol

Yeah, he's wild. I love that he's done some real under the center, turn your back to the defense play action and gotten kill shots down the field. Most of it isn't our stuff - it's play action off of inside iso generally. Not so many bootlegs. Love the improv work. Hate the anticipation on dropback concepts. Haven't seen him perform them; not sure he can. So much double clutching and attempting to bail out his processing (and scheme?) with athleticism and improv. Aaron Rodgers does some of that **** and it can be pretty cool, but it drives me mad. It also got Aaron killed in every matchup with a quality defensive front the last couple of years. And the accuracy is a bit hit or miss. But man, the absurd throws, the athleticism, the ability to hit dudes in stride on play action deep shots more than once a millennium. There's a lot to like.

• Like 2

Not that we need a WR or anything, but lawd is this class going to be good. These recent WR drafts have been awesome. With the NFL going to more spread, the transition is being made easier and these WRs step in from day one ready to dominate. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

44 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not that we need a WR or anything, but lawd is this class going to be good. These recent WR drafts have been awesome. With the NFL going to be more spread, the transition is being made easier and these WRs step in from day one ready to dominate. 

I'm going to be curious to see where it lands in the next couple of years, but WR is leaning toward a position I refuse to pay until the NCAA cycles back out of producing classes like this. 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2020 at 2:30 PM, burlow said:

Just to throw a different situation at you guys.  The QBs that we want are gone, with the pick do we go best OL available or trade it for a 2nd and next years 1st to try to get ammo for getting a QB down the road?  I have not scouted anything this year other than watching Wilson at the LA tech / BYU game where I wanted to watch more of him... you can guess who I would like in the draft but the seems to be trying to move himself out of position.  I would also be down to trade a future pick or two for him but that is not what I am asking here.

There alot of unknowns in your post. Where do we pick from to start out with? Also whose 2nd and 1st would we be getting? There is a grand canyon sized hole in the potential differences.

Even if we finish with 6 wins, I feel like it's pretty uncommon for a 6-10 team to draft outside of the top 10. I'd have to look back previous drafts, but I think there's still a good chance we at least end up in Trey Lance territory. But I still think we finish around 8-13. The NFCE being god awful is low key a god send for draft position because it's taking away what should be a top 10 team and putting them at 19 (iirc). 

I also think teams like Minnesota, chicago and New England, who are currently below us, end up finishing ahead. Mix in a h2h matchup with Washington..

Also, how ar ethe charger so bad? 

9 minutes ago, John232 said:

Even if we finish with 6 wins, I feel like it's pretty uncommon for a 6-10 team to draft outside of the top 10. I'd have to look back previous drafts, but I think there's still a good chance we at least end up in Trey Lance territory. But I still think we finish around 8-13. The NFCE being god awful is low key a god send for draft position because it's taking away what should be a top 10 team and putting them at 19 (iirc). 

I also think teams like Minnesota, chicago and New England, who are currently below us, end up finishing ahead. Mix in a h2h matchup with Washington..

Also, how ar ethe charger so bad? 

With the way this defense has been playing, do you really only expect one more win though? The offense literally just has to be mediocre and the defense will give the team a chance to win. 

So I think we will be out of the top 10 range, but all that means is we would have to trade up a little more to get the QB Shanny wants. 

If Saleh gets hired, we will be receiving a 3rd round pick in 2021 and 2022. So you can throw those two picks in a trade up. 

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

With the way this defense has been playing, do you really only expect one more win though? The offense literally just has to be mediocre and the defense will give the team a chance to win. 

So I think we will be out of the top 10 range, but all that means is we would have to trade up a little more to get the QB Shanny wants. 

If Saleh gets hired, we will be receiving a 3rd round pick in 2021 and 2022. So you can throw those two picks in a trade up. 

We may beat Washington and Cowgirls....that's it. We had the Lambs number this year but the win changes very little for me. I don't expect our D to contain neither Allen, Russ, nor Murray. Even Washington, with their D-Line could give us a tough game. I see no more than seven wins for us...

16 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

We may beat Washington and Cowgirls....that's it. We had the Lambs number this year but the win changes very little for me. I don't expect our D to contain neither Allen, Russ, nor Murray. Even Washington, with their D-Line could give us a tough game. I see no more than seven wins for us...

Even seven wins gets you out of the top 10. I wouldn't count us out against Arizona. Jimmy will be back by then and he plays them very well. Even when he was terrible in week 1, we were one pass away from winning that game. The Cardinals aren't good enough where you just mark that game as a loss. 

Buffalo game should be competitive. Will we win? I don't know about that, but the defense is playing elite ball right now.