2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm interested to see if Jurkovec declares or not. He's sophmore I believe. I think the kid is a sleeper and has some really nice tools as a passer. He just looks like a pro QB to me. I'll have a much closer look this Saturday when he faces my Hoos but he definitely has my attention. 

I typically don't bank on the RS soph's coming out. Guessing that Penix goes back to school now with the ACL. I'd assume that Carson Strong goes back as well. Jurkovec has very limited experience and just suffered an injury this last weekend. Don't think it's serious, but I'm not sure whether or not he'll miss time. I just don't I'd count on any of those guys coming out. Willis could come out give that he's a year older, but kind of  the same boat with the lack of experience. 

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Not discounting Saleh's fit for the Lions, I just don't see them going defensive-minded HCs back-to-back. ALOT will depend on the GM hire but me thinks they go for a offensive guy. I think Bienemy would be at the top of most ppl's list.

I'm not sure who's been doing the hiring over the years. They've been doing the defensive guy hiring for a long time now. The only offensive guy they have hired since Mooch is Caldwell. Schwartz, Jauron, Patricia, Marinelli were all defensive guys. It's actually kind of weird. 

We will see on Bieniemy. At this point, it has to be the personal stuff holding him back as ridiculous as that is given how long ago it was, but maybe he's cratering in the interviews. Doesn't make any sense that he's not been offered a job in such a long period of time. 

I'm mostly okay with Trask if that's how this draft falls out. He is pretty much Jimmy G II, return of the Jimmy G. Kinda favors the front leg leading to downfield accuracy problems, is no athlete, not the strongest arm. Really good with anticipation, decisions with the offense, eye discipline, accuracy in intermediate areas. Has the serious confidence and moxie you want. You draft him, you don't have to give up too much draft capital and money to get the engine going enough to be a playoff threat. But he has a hard, hard ceiling. And it would be maddening watching Jimmy G II after Jimmy G classic. 

Mac Jones, it's kind of the same thing - except I haven't seen him fight through the fire and the flames of bad pockets to make plays. He's another with good anticipation, but when you have Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle blowing the doors off of everyone, it's easier to anticipate. I like his short and intermediate accuracy and his eyes. But as a bad athlete with a mediocre to mediocre- arm, I need to have seen you deal with some serious stuff in the pocket. He never has. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JIllg said:

Mac Jones, it's kind of the same thing - except I haven't seen him fight through the fire and the flames of bad pockets to make plays. He's another with good anticipation, but when you have Devonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle blowing the doors off of everyone, it's easier to anticipate. I like his short and intermediate accuracy and his eyes. But as a bad athlete with a mediocre to mediocre- arm, I need to have seen you deal with some serious stuff in the pocket. He never has. 

Same issue with Mac Jones. 

One interesting thing to consider..Trey Lance may be ahead of Zach Wilson on the Patriots board. If they're moving to a dual threat system..he's the best prospect right now. 

edit: Yes, I have a subscription to the athletic. 

Edited by John232

27 minutes ago, John232 said:

One interesting thing to consider..Trey Lance may be ahead of Zach Wilson on the Patriots board. If they're moving to a dual threat system..he's the best prospect right now. 

edit: Yes, I have a subscription to the athletic. 

I wouldn't read too much in them basing the offense around Cam this year. I mean that's what a good coaching staff does...fit the scheme around the player, not try and to make the a player with obvious flaws conform to the system.

If they are indeed going to more of a Greg Roman type of RPO system than yea, I could see Lance being more highly regarded within their organization. But even so, college football is littered with dual threat types. And some with more extensive film than Lance so he may not be the end all, be all of that group.  

• Like 1

Its just hard for me to figure out where the draft goes. Right now, the Pats are picking at 15, so they may miss out on all the QBs regardless of who they want to pick. It's really insane how many teams could go with a QB and would be perfectly justified going with out one lol. 

Like, would I be surprised if Atlanta, Detroit, Minnesota Carolina went quarterback? Nope. Would it shock me if they didn't? Nope lol. 

And that's before you really consider the teams who certainly should go quarterback if one is available for them when they pick in Denver, Chicago. All of those teams pick before both New England and us right now. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forge said:

There are 4 top 20 QBs in general consensus. They probably go in top 15

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lance rise during the pre-draft process, assuming that there is a combine, which may not be a good assumption. 

2 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lance rise during the pre-draft process, assuming that there is a combine, which may not be a good assumption. 

A lot can happen between now and February. Wouldn't surprise me if we could pull off a Combine by then. 

2 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

So apparently he's doing nothing but eating tape this entire time from what I heard on one of these pods I was listening to. If he's doing that and bombs his interviews, I'm completely out on him lol. There shouldn't be a QB more prepared for that part of the draft process lol