2021 Draft Thread

John232

If we do end up looking at slot corner, I think a guy like Shaun Wade from OSU could fall. I think that his season as a boundary corner this year has been very hit and miss. He had a pick today, but he was way off the coverage and it was just a bad pass that he was able to take in. I think he may be a slot corner at the next level, but at that position, he maybe able to come in and play right away. Obviously someone will probably take him earlier because they think he'll be a boundary, but I think his true position will be in the slot

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wasted in what way? 

Scheme wise? Our scheme is very different this year compared to the past and who knows what the next DC will want to run. 

We still don't press a ton, and we still play a lot of zone, we've just masked it in different coverages and I don't know if that is built out of necessity, not desire. I also don't know that Saleh won't be back. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

I wonder if we would prefer to go edge or corner in the first. clearly this FO and staff have clearly put the emphasis at the front end of the defense, not the back end. 

I could definitely see edge being the pick. The whole defense functions differently with a true fast edge on one side on passing downs. Bosa was an MVP candidate with one and essentially Kerry Hyder without. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Forge said:

We still don't press a ton, and we still play a lot of zone, we've just masked it in different coverages and I don't know if that is built out of necessity, not desire. I also don't know that Saleh won't be back. 

We run enough man coverage and our corners are better playing off man coverage. Even if the scheme stays similar, Horn can play press man coverage. I'm not worried about that. He's going to be really good but his long speed is now something I'm going to pay attention to. What is he, a 4.45 type of runner or in the 4.5 range? Only corners that have done well against Metcalf this season have been the ones who have been able to run with him. Peterson in the first meeting and Ramsey a few weeks ago. Physically though and instinct wise, Horn looks to be the real deal. That game against Auburn had to have been one of the best performances from any corner in the last five or so years. 

Honestly, I think Mukamu is just as good as Horn and can be had maybe a round or two later.

Its a decent class for CBs so its not necessarily a position we necessarily need to fill early on. But I wouldn't be too upset if we took one of the top 2 guys in the first. 

On 12/4/2020 at 10:01 PM, Melbourne 9er said:

Hopefully we have a draft pick at about #32 so we don't give a rat's left ******** who we pick.

If this was 2019, I would say awesome but it's not and to be perfectly honest, when we were 2-3, I was hoping for 2-14 to get Lawrence. I'm just at the point where I want that franchise QB (plus being under a four year rookie contract doesn't hurt either) as it's been too long. I have never seen Jimmy as that guy. He's just not. Kaepernick had the potential to be great but that didn't happen. Smith was solid at best but just wasn't a playmaker. After Garcia up to the Harbaugh years, I don't even remember who the quarterbacks were outside of Smith. They're all a blur. LOL. At 5-6, this team simply isn't good enough to win a Super Bowl. Too many injuries. Average at best QB play. Inconsistent in a few areas. At this point, I just want the highest draft pick that the team can get. Move off Jimmy, get the cap space and just move on. That's all im really hoping for. Anything else would be a bonus for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Forge said:

If we do end up looking at slot corner, I think a guy like Shaun Wade from OSU could fall. I think that his season as a boundary corner this year has been very hit and miss. He had a pick today, but he was way off the coverage and it was just a bad pass that he was able to take in. I think he may be a slot corner at the next level, but at that position, he maybe able to come in and play right away. Obviously someone will probably take him earlier because they think he'll be a boundary, but I think his true position will be in the slot

Would you really pick a slot corner in the first though?

I think ppl are sleeping on Purdy. He kind of reminds me of Dak in that'll he'll be a Day 2 or 3 pick with some obvious warts projecting him as a starter but could really be find at the next level, in the right system and surprise ppl. I think he's at least a competent back-up QB. He's better than Nick Mullens already tbh...I think that's his floor. Which makes him worth at least a Day 3 pick imo.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

How good of edge rushers does this draft have? I think with an extremely offensive heavy top 10 that we will get, some really good defensive players will drop. But I have no idea about how good the edge rushers are. I think it would be great if we can get a good one early on. Sure the fans will be upset with yet another first round DL, but it is a need and our DL can be super dominant with Bosa/Kinlaw/Armstead/Givens/1st rd edge. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think ppl are sleeping on Purdy. He kind of reminds me of Dak in that'll he'll be a Day 2 or 3 pick with some obvious warts projecting him as a starter but could really be find at the next level, in the right system and surprise ppl. I think he's at least a competent back-up QB. He's better than Nick Mullens already tbh...I think that's his floor. Which makes him worth at least a Day 3 pick imo.

He's a back up, yes...and I'd actually go a little further and say that maybe he has a spot starter ceiling. I don't typically draft guys with back up ceilings, but he's  a fun guy. Great anticipation for his receivers routes' and he'll release long before he knows that they are going to look. He's also used to a bad offensive line and enduring pressure, which is good. But he's limited physically and the poor line play is a double edged sword because it can jack his mental timing. I don't know that anyone thinks he's a UDFA or anything. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

How good of edge rushers does this draft have? I think with an extremely offensive heavy top 10 that we will get, some really good defensive players will drop. But I have no idea about how good the edge rushers are. I think it would be great if we can get a good one early on. Sure the fans will be upset with yet another first round DL, but it is a need and our DL can be super dominant with Bosa/Kinlaw/Armstead/Givens/1st rd edge. 

I think it's reach heavy that lacks star power after Rousseau (whom I'm not even fully in on). The first round will be littered with DE guys, though I think the projections are off for a few. Paye, for example is only an SDE in my opinion, maybe he kicks inside. Not what we need. 

Rousseau is the obvious prize, and he'll be gone long before we select. I would think that Basham may be gone as well, but hard to say. His seasons aren't super sexy or anything, but he's one of those guys I think is going to translate really well to the next level because he's pretty well rounded. He's older though (RS senior). I could see him as a Derek Barnett type. Relies more on his technicalities than any superhuman athletic gifts. Weaver is getting some first round love and I could see it based on his traits. It was really the health that was holding him back. He's got the talent, but I think first is a little rich. The guy that I think really bears monitoring is Jaelen Phillips, who's maybe starting to live up to the hype and probably won't be a first round pick. 

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it's reach heavy that lacks star power after Rousseau (whom I'm not even fully in on). The first round will be littered with DE guys, though I think the projections are off for a few. Paye, for example is only an SDE in my opinion, maybe he kicks inside. Not what we need. 

Rousseau is the obvious prize, and he'll be gone long before we select. I would think that Basham may be gone as well, but hard to say. His seasons aren't super sexy or anything, but he's one of those guys I think is going to translate really well to the next level because he's pretty well rounded. He's older though (RS senior). I could see him as a Derek Barnett type. Relies more on his technicalities than any superhuman athletic gifts. Weaver is getting some first round love and I could see it based on his traits. It was really the health that was holding him back. He's got the talent, but I think first is a little rich. The guy that I think really bears monitoring is Jaelen Phillips, who's maybe starting to live up to the hype and probably won't be a first round pick. 

I don't mind Quincy Roche - he reminds me a bit of Brandon Graham. But there is a lack of speed edge guys. No Harold Landry types that might fall due to run defense concerns that could be had on the cheap for our passing downs packages.