2021 Draft Thread

John232

Latest mock, no trades. Apologies for formatting. 
Zach Wilson QB, BYU
44.Creed Humphrey IOL, Oklahoma
113. Daelin Hayes EDGE, Notre Dame
152. Keith Taylor CB, Washington
171. Tyler Vrabel OT, Boston College
176. Malcolm Koonce EDGE, Buffalo
190. Quentin Lake S, UCLA
222. Austin Watkins WR, UAB
233. Ambry Thomas CB, Michigan
  • Like 2

I was just watching some cut ups of Zach Wilson as I haven't watched anything from him yet. I came away pretty impressed. He's got some wiggle to him and quick hips, which helps him get out of the pocket and make defenders miss. It's really hard to compare his athleticism as I think he's more athletic than Josh Allen, Carson Wentz, and Baker Mayfield. But he's not at the level of Kyler Murry or Lamar Jackson. Maybe he's somewhere in the middle closer to Tua or Jalen Hurts?

In terms of arm talent, he's definitely got it. He reminds me a lot of Mahomes without the rocket arm or a more mobile Matt Stafford without the rocket arm. Wilson seems to have strong enough arm to make plenty of throws, though. What makes me think Mahomes or Stafford are the different arm angles, the touch vs. power and the ability to do both, throwing on the run at different arm angles like Mahomes. 

He would definitely bring an element of athleticism to the QB position not seen since Kap. But his arm talent is heads and shoulders above Kap. He doesn't have Kap's straight-line speed, but he has more wiggle and elusiveness than Kap. 

I think Wilson will test well at the combine. If his brain is at the level of his arm and legs, he could develop quickly.  

Yeah, I don't know if I'd say it's head and shoulder above Kap.. Kap had one of the livest/hardest arms I've seen in the league. But he really had issues around changing arm angle, touch etc. Which is where i think Wilson has him as a general arm talent. 

That said, I'm not sure I see Wilson dropping out of the top 10. I think top 6 will be close tbh. 

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I was just watching some cut ups of Zach Wilson as I haven't watched anything from him yet. I came away pretty impressed. He's got some wiggle to him and quick hips, which helps him get out of the pocket and make defenders miss. It's really hard to compare his athleticism as I think he's more athletic than Josh Allen, Carson Wentz, and Baker Mayfield. But he's not at the level of Kyler Murry or Lamar Jackson. Maybe he's somewhere in the middle closer to Tua or Jalen Hurts?

In terms of arm talent, he's definitely got it. He reminds me a lot of Mahomes without the rocket arm or a more mobile Matt Stafford without the rocket arm. Wilson seems to have strong enough arm to make plenty of throws, though. What makes me think Mahomes or Stafford are the different arm angles, the touch vs. power and the ability to do both, throwing on the run at different arm angles like Mahomes. 

He would definitely bring an element of athleticism to the QB position not seen since Kap. But his arm talent is heads and shoulders above Kap. He doesn't have Kap's straight-line speed, but he has more wiggle and elusiveness than Kap. 

I think Wilson will test well at the combine. If his brain is at the level of his arm and legs, he could develop quickly.  

Jrry used the Mahomes / Stafford comp as well regarding the arm. I don't think that it's quite Mahomes / Allen level, but I do think there's a lot of Stafford similarity there and that was the first guy I thought of. Athletically,  I think he's maybe a suped up version of Alex, tbh...but honestly, I may be having a hard time getting that out of my head just because they both seemed sooooooooooooo tiny lol. 

He's got a lot of experience which is nice, but he comes with health issues. 

8 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I don't know if I'd say it's head and shoulder above Kap.. Kap had one of the livest/hardest arms I've seen in the league. But he really had issues around changing arm angle, touch etc. Which is where i think Wilson has him as a general arm talent. 

That said, I'm not sure I see Wilson dropping out of the top 10. I think top 6 will be close tbh. 

I think Kap's arm talent was propped up by his elite arm strength and above average deep accuracy. Everything else was average to below average. I'm sure I'm going to get roast for saying this, but I think Jimmy has better arm talent than Kap.

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Jrry used the Mahomes / Stafford comp as well regarding the arm. I don't think that it's quite Mahomes / Allen level, but I do think there's a lot of Stafford similarity there and that was the first guy I thought of. Athletically,  I think he's maybe a suped up version of Alex, tbh...but honestly, I may be having a hard time getting that out of my head just because they both seemed sooooooooooooo tiny lol. 

He's got a lot of experience which is nice, but he comes with health issues. 

Man, Wilson looks like he could run circles around Alex in his prime lol. Wilson has wiggle and elusiveness that you don't see with many QB's that aren't run-first, athletes playing QB. Wilson looks like he's got some speed to him to.

I do agree that he looks pretty small out there. He's listed at 6'3 210, but I wondering if the combine was today, if he would be closer to 6'1 or 6'2 205. The size is concerning, but less and less as more smaller QB's come into the NFL and produce. 

I still have a lot more research to do on Wilson, but at first glance he's a special QB with really good arm talent and athleticism. 

11 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Man, Wilson looks like he could run circles around Alex in his prime lol. Wilson has wiggle and elusiveness that you don't see with many QB's that aren't run-first, athletes playing QB. Wilson looks like he's got some speed to him to.

Alex as a prospect. Underrated athlete. I think you're going to be surprised by how similarly they test out. Alex Smith had 3 cone and shuttle times in the 90th percent for QBs. He was a legit athlete.

11 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I guess I need to go back and look at Smith at Utah. I honestly don't remember much of him coming out of college.

90th+ percentile in shuttles and 3-cones...at least above average in every athletic trait. Straight line speed wasn't great, but still up there for quarterbacks. Also looked very small out there running around lol (just to clarify, when I say small, I mean in terms of overall size...alex is taller than a lot of people think so he never looks short, but I always thought he looked thin / small) 

It's so hard to compare prospects to pros as no two players are ever truly the same. To me when first watching Wilson he reminded me of a poor mans Josh Allen from a physical standpoint, but he is so far ahead of Allen was as a prospect as far as his accuracy, touch, and just overall ability to play the QB position. Wilson will need to mature more physically when he gets to the NFL, but he is already showing a fantastic ability to hit passes on all levels of the field with touch and the ability to fire passes into windows if needed. I don't think Wilson's arm strength is on par with guys like Mahomes, Allen, or Kap, but he's got plenty of juice and would be in a tier just below those guys. He certainly has a bigger arm than anyone we have on our roster today. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

It's so hard to compare prospects to pros as no two players are ever truly the same. To me when first watching Wilson he reminded me of a poor mans Josh Allen from a physical standpoint, but he is so far ahead of Allen was as a prospect as far as his accuracy, touch, and just overall ability to play the QB position. Wilson will need to mature more physically when he gets to the NFL, but he is already showing a fantastic ability to hit passes on all levels of the field with touch and the ability to fire passes into windows if needed. I don't think Wilson's arm strength is on par with guys like Mahomes, Allen, or Kap, but he's got plenty of juice and would be in a tier just below those guys. He certainly has a bigger arm than anyone we have on our roster today. 

For sure. I typically hate comparisons and usually only make them when its something super on point. I really do see the Stafford thing with the arm though, so I'm with NinerNation about that.

I've been on Wilson from the beginning but his frame is a major issue. It's not surprising he has had shoulder issues in the past. Lance is a guy that should theoretically hold up better in the long run. He has his own question marks so he's far from the perfect prospect either. 

I don't know, but I just hope we take a QB in the first round if we take one at all. No need to get a lesser talent that has a chance to develop in the 2nd or 3rd round. Go all in on the QB or don't, but nothing in between. 

If we don't go QB, give me Horn! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

For sure. I typically hate comparisons and usually only make them when its something super on point. I really do see the Stafford thing with the arm though, so I'm with NinerNation about that.

The only comparisons I think are useful are comparing individual traits rather than one overall comparison. Those get lazy. I really do think Wilson has Stafford's throwing ability minus the raw arm strength. What pushes him closer to Mahomes for me is his ability to throw from different arm angles on the run. We don't see Stafford do that, but we do see Mahomes do that.

Wilson's arm talent mixed with his mobility is something that is rare in the NFL right now. He would certainly add an interesting layer to Shanny's playbook that he hasn't had with the 49ers yet. 

Obviously, competition level will always be a question with Wilson. He has some very clean pockets to throw from. The likes of which he may never see with the 49ers.  

At this point, I would be thrilled to draft Zach Wilson in the 1st and CB in the second round, then IF we got a draft pick in the 3rd round for Saleh leaving, I would go IOL or Edge.

I really think that our O-line issues could be fixed in FA this year, just ditch Richburg, Sign Alex Mack to replace him and find a more competent Guard as well. I'm also assuming we re-sign T. Williams.

On defense, If we could keep Hyder and sign a vet like Kerrigan, those guys opposite Bosa next season would be very productive IMO. Yes, I would ditch Dee Ford at this point as well and draft an EDGE at some point in the next draft.

Yes, we have a lot of FA this year, but we still have a very talented roster that only needs a few key pieces (important pieces) to be filled

Edited by P_locniners

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I've been on Wilson from the beginning but his frame is a major issue. It's not surprising he has had shoulder issues in the past. Lance is a guy that should theoretically hold up better in the long run. He has his own question marks so he's far from the perfect prospect either. 

I don't know, but I just hope we take a QB in the first round if we take one at all. No need to get a lesser talent that has a chance to develop in the 2nd or 3rd round. Go all in on the QB or don't, but nothing in between. 

If we don't go QB, give me Horn! 

Honestly, if we do not take a QB in round one, I Have no interest in a QB whatsoever. I don't love the class at all

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, if we do not take a QB in round one, I Have no interest in a QB whatsoever. I don't love the class at all

Wilson and Lawrence are the only guys im hyped on. Lance and Fields are interesting but I'd be real nervous about getting a hard bust.