2021 Draft Thread

John232

7 minutes ago, John232 said:

I mean, if they move on from Dee Ford, regardless of his restructuring..it's going to become a round 1 need imo. But yes, I agree on some level.

As for Trey Lance, from what little i've watched (of highlight reels, mind you), you can see incredible physical tools but he seems like a 1 read and run QB nor does he keep his eyes down field consistently. That said, I'm pretty sure he had a 15 minute reel of him on youtube just on scoring plays. So the guy has clearly been doing something very right at his level. 

Theres no doubt Lance is very raw. Im just tried of getting destroyed by mobile QBs with strong arms so looking for one myself lol. As far as d-line goes address it some other way. Another trade or free agency. We've drafted 5 d-linemen in the last 5 years in the 1st round 

1 minute ago, Knowledge said:

Theres no doubt Lance is very raw. Im just tried of getting destroyed by mobile QBs with strong arms so looking for one myself lol. As far as d-line goes address it some other way. Another trade or free agency. We've drafted 5 d-linemen in the last 5 years in the 1st round 

Yeah, I also just think since we have Bosa, we just need to find guys who can be a bit more supplemental. Someone like Genard Avery or a Mark Anderson from years ago. Obviously if the value is right on a pass rusher, it's always hard to pass up, but between corner x2, IOLx2-3...seems like going DE again would be painful. We also have turnover happening at back-up QB, IDL and OT..just a weird set of circumstances. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

We need speed rushers badly. Bosa has quickness, technique and power, but true speed isn't so much his forte.

Yeah, I'm really hoping we address it with our first 3 picks. I'm also of the opinion a team needs at least 3 adequate edge pass-rushers to generate..anything consistently. Sucks that we lost Blair because I think he's basically that 3rd guy, and Hyder has sort of emerged as another guy. 

But getting an edge bender and burst guy in the mold of our ever injured Dee Ford would be great. Still hate that we missed out on Harold Landry. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I'm really hoping we address it with our first 3 picks. I'm also of the opinion a team needs at least 3 adequate edge pass-rushers to generate..anything consistently. Sucks that we lost Blair because I think he's basically that 3rd guy, and Hyder has sort of emerged as another guy. 

But getting an edge bender and burst guy in the mold of our ever injured Dee Ford would be great. Still hate that we missed out on Harold Landry. 

We have so many needs and not enough picks, which sucks. If I'm going to perform triage on our roster, I'd target edge work in free agency and the draft for other areas. There are only a couple of interior linemen available in free agency and they are both way out of our price range, so way better to target that in the draft I would think. Corner is stacked at the top of the draft and we are probably going to need to grab guys from both there and FA to fill out. Then there's the QB conundrum. If Trey Lance or Trask is available when we are picking, are we taking them? 

You can get some rather interesting edge guys for probably cheaper than we are going to have to pay Dee. Takk McKinley can't be expensive in this market...he's had a bit of struggles, and everyone is capped out. I'd probably bring back Jordan Willis (better than Dion Jordan, I guess..and cheaper). Taco Charlton is still worth a look in my opinion. He's actually had okay sack numbers, all things considered. Carl Lawson, Vic Beasley, Romeo Okwara...there are a lot of guys to try and money ball the position with. 

Its really frustrating to have this many holes and be lacking picks lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

We have so many needs and not enough picks, which sucks. If I'm going to perform triage on our roster, I'd target edge work in free agency and the draft for other areas. There are only a couple of interior linemen available in free agency and they are both way out of our price range, so way better to target that in the draft I would think. Corner is stacked at the top of the draft and we are probably going to need to grab guys from both there and FA to fill out. Then there's the QB conundrum. If Trey Lance or Trask is available when we are picking, are we taking them? 

You can get some rather interesting edge guys for probably cheaper than we are going to have to pay Dee. Takk McKinley can't be expensive in this market...he's had a bit of struggles, and everyone is capped out. I'd probably bring back Jordan Willis (better than Dion Jordan, I guess..and cheaper). Taco Charlton is still worth a look in my opinion. He's actually had okay sack numbers, all things considered. Carl Lawson, Vic Beasley, Romeo Okwara...there are a lot of guys to try and money ball the position with. 

Its really frustrating to have this many holes and be lacking picks lol

Trask? Ew 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I think he's going to get drafted high...maybe #4 off the board for Qbs? Still early, obviously...but yeah...

Mid round guy at best. He's not athletic, doesn't have a good arm, and he wont win anything at the college level. His best attribute is his size.

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Mid round guy at best. He's not athletic, doesn't have a good arm, and he wont win anything at the college level. His best attribute is his size.

Yeah, but he's having a big season. I don't know that he's going in the first, but I wouldn't rule it out. I do think that he goes in the second, and I do believe he'll be the 4th QB off the board if the draft happened today, especially if his year continues as it goes. 

Side note...you just described all of our quarterbacks  (well, until the "best attribute is size" part) LOL

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but he's having a big season. I don't know that he's going in the first, but I wouldn't rule it out. I do think that he goes in the second, and I do believe he'll be the 4th QB off the board if the draft happened today, especially if his year continues as it goes. 

Side note...you just described all of our quarterbacks  (well, until the "best attribute is size" part) LOL

You might be correct on the 4th qb chosen, I just don't see him as a first rounder at all. A little bit larger Jake Fromm. On your side note... that did cross my mind when thinking about the post lol. Mullens probably has the best athleticism but it certainly isn't game breaking.

• Like 1

Honestly right now I'm most interested in IOL for us. I think we're going to be picking in the teens which gives us a great shot at Creed Humphrey or Wyatt Davis. Either one would give both our passing and run game a huge boost for years to come.

7 hours ago, Geek said:

Honestly right now I'm most interested in IOL for us. I think we're going to be picking in the teens which gives us a great shot at Creed Humphrey or Wyatt Davis. Either one would give both our passing and run game a huge boost for years to come.

I agree with you're assessment wholeheartedly....

That being said, does anyone really expect Shanny & Lynch to take a IOL with their very first pick?? 

I sure don't. I doubt they address the position within the first four rounds if I'm being totally honest. And that's based on their history and the amount of resources or lack there of that they've invested towards that area of the roster during their time here.

I think the first pick is either CB, EDGE or a LT. And the subsequent picks to follow will address the other two positions. Wouldn't be surprised to see us double up on CB within the first four rounds.

I think as it stands, the only CBs that are guaranteed to be on the roster past this year are Moseley, Motley & Tim Harris. I don't think we'll pick high enough for Surtain II. So I would be happy with either Wade or Farley.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I agree with you're assessment wholeheartedly....

That being said, does anyone really expect Shanny & Lynch to take a IOL with their very first pick?? 

I sure don't. I doubt they address the position within the first four rounds if I'm being totally honest. And that's based on their history and the amount of resources or lack there of that they've invested towards that area of the roster during their time here.

I think the first pick is either CB, EDGE or a LT. And the subsequent picks to follow will address the other two positions. Wouldn't be surprised to see us double up on CB within the first four rounds.

I think as it stands, the only CBs that are guaranteed to be on the roster past this year are Moseley, Motley & Tim Harris. I don't think we'll pick high enough for Surtain II. So I would be happy with either Wade or Farley.

As you said above "based on their history". Their history shows that they also don't take CBs high (I think Witherspoon is the highest that they've taken a CB) and as we don't have a 3rd we may not take one until the 4th. I can see an IOL only if it is a Center and Richburg is totally rooted. LT will depend on whether we bring back Williams or not. I'm hoping for either a quick Edge as a Ford replacement, a quick sure tackling replacement for Kwon at LB or a Center with our first 2 picks and then a couple of CBs with later picks, all dependent of course of what we pick up in FA.