2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I wouldn’t think so, but Shanny also hand picked CJ Beathard, so who knows. I was not impressed with Wade in that Clemson game.

Agreed. If none of the qbs fall in our lap or we don’t trade up for one, I just don’t see it with Wade. I would be interested in Farley, Surtain and Horn for first round corner. Granted we haven’t taken a corner in the first round in the longest, so wouldn’t be surprised if we go in another route entirely. 

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I wouldn’t think so, but Shanny also hand picked CJ Beathard, so who knows. I was not impressed with Wade in that Clemson game.

From what I've seen, Wade is not close to being on the level of Farley/Horn/Surtain. For him to go top 14 is pretty laughable. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

McShay has us taking Farley but passing on Fields. In fact, he has Fields falling to #15! Don't see any way that happens. Trey Lance going #18 and somehow Shaun Wade going #14 L-O-L.

He did say that this is mainly due to no trades in mock drafts but no way would Shanny pass on Fields if he dropped to #12, right? RIGHT? RIGHHHTT??? 

I don't think so. I'm not 100% on the fit with Fields, but others think he would kill it in this scheme, and honestly, as that's gone on, I could see it. Shanny seems somewhat overbearing in the way the offense is run, so you're putting Fields in a position where he has what he is supposed to do mapped out and that's what Shanny wants done...it's a marriage that works for sure. Fields throws a nice ball, is accurate...can get it down field, and is mobile to play out of structure and compensate for a bad pass blocking line if necessary 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think so. I'm not 100% on the fit with Fields, but others think he would kill it in this scheme, and honestly, as that's gone on, I could see it. Shanny seems somewhat overbearing in the way the offense is run, so you're putting Fields in a position where he has what he is supposed to do mapped out and that's what Shanny wants done...it's a marriage that works for sure. Fields throws a nice ball, is accurate...can get it down field, and is mobile to play out of structure and compensate for a bad pass blocking line if necessary 

Shanny would have to adjust his scheme a bit for Fields but that shouldn't be an issue. Great coaches will always adjust to the personnel they have. But Fields can thrive in this scheme for sure and the deep ball will finally open up the offense. But Fields is not going to slide out of the top 10 so that was dumb by McShay regardless if trades can or can't happen. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Shanny would have to adjust his scheme a bit for Fields but that shouldn't be an issue. Great coaches will always adjust to the personnel they have. But Fields can thrive in this scheme for sure and the deep ball will finally open up the offense. But Fields is not going to slide out of the top 10 so that was dumb by McShay regardless if trades can or can't happen. 

No, he definitely won't. ESPN guys always about the viewership and clicks as opposed to the world of reality. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

No, he definitely won't. ESPN guys always about the viewership and clicks as opposed to the world of reality. 

I cannot help but be wary of Ohio St. QBs in general and Fields apparently slow processing of what the Defense is doing...  Those combine to make me very hesitant to draft him. If you can't discern what the D is doing fast enough, you fail as a QB. 

What it really boils down to is I have zero faith in any QB grasping much of Shanny's O in their rookie year outside of Zach Wilson.

I was reading up on Rashawn Slater on The Draft Network and he sounds awfully similar to Jonah Williams from 2 years ago. A tackle to some people or a pro-bowl guard to others. They mocked him to us at 12, which seems pretty steep for a guard. They're reasoning was he could be our LT now or our RG/C now and LT later. 

Anyone know more about him?

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I was reading up on Rashawn Slater on The Draft Network and he sounds awfully similar to Jonah Williams from 2 years ago. A tackle to some people or a pro-bowl guard to others. They mocked him to us at 12, which seems pretty steep for a guard. They're reasoning was he could be our LT now or our RG/C now and LT later. 

Anyone know more about him?

It's the same tact I took with Wirfs last year, though I think Wirfs was a far superior prospect. 

He's a little stunted physically...but we have learned over time that's not really as important if he can really just play. 

Kiper thinks he's a guard only. I don't like him all that much that high  because he seems like a big time tweener...you can seriously see him attempting to play anywhere on the line (even center is an option), but I think he has a notch against him at pretty much any position. I think of him more like Joel Bitonio, who I absolutely loved coming out as a future guard, but would not have taken in round 1. Slater is probably worth a first round pick, but definitely in the back end.

I think his best asset is that he simply knows how to play, if you know what I mean. He understands the positions, what defenders will do, etc. I feel like he's a thinking man's lineman. There are some people like Brugler (I think it's Dane) who absolutely love him. He just feels more like a reach at 12 because I Think there's a real chance that his issues plague him regardless. I don't love him on the interior of a downhill running team (not really a problem for us), on the outside the lack of length is not ideal, and while its not a deal breaker, it's not like it hasn't derailed guys either. 

I like Darrisaw better because I think he's got a chance to be a shut down pass protector at the next level, but should be noted that Slater really did some awesome work against Chase Young. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It's the same tact I took with Wirfs last year, though I think Wirfs was a far superior prospect. 

He's a little stunted physically...but we have learned over time that's not really as important if he can really just play. 

Kiper thinks he's a guard only (likely because of his lack of length, though he should consider him all over, not just guard). I don't like him all that much to be honest because he seems like a big time tweener...you can seriously see him attempting to play anywhere on the line (even center is an option), but I think he has a notch against him at pretty much any position. I think his best asset is that he simply knows how to play, if you know what I mean. He understands the positions, what defenders will do, etc. I feel like he's a thinking man's lineman. There are some people like Brugler (I think it's Dane) who absolutely love him. He just feels more like a reach at 12 because I Think there's a real chance that his issues plague him regardless. I don't love him on the interior of a downhill running team (not really a problem for us), on the outside the lack of length is not ideal, and while its not a deal breaker, it's not like it hasn't derailed guys either. 

I like Darrisaw better because I think he's got a chance to be a shut down pass protector at the next level, but should be noted that Slater really did some awesome work against Chase Young. 

Interesting, thanks. I like Darrisaw as well. It's funny to hear him being positioned as a good pass protector as he was raw as hell coming into VT and was basically a McGlinchey clone - great run blocking, not so great at pass pro. He's definitely blossomed into something great. I believe he came to VT as a TE from one of those military academies.  

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Interesting, thanks. I like Darrisaw as well. It's funny to hear him being positioned as a good pass protector as he was raw as hell coming into VT and was basically a McGlinchey clone - great run blocking, not so great at pass pro. He's definitely blossomed into something great. I believe he came to VT as a TE from one of those military academies.  

I totally forgot that you were a VT guy when I dropped Darrisaw's name LOL. 

But yes...I'm a fan of him. I think the upside is tremendous. 

Slater I Think is fine...but I view him more in the way that I viewed Joel Bitonio coming out. He could certainly be a gifted tackle...Joe Staley was considered not to have great length and obviously he was fine...but I think when you're drafting at #12, I don't want to be drafting a guy who's starting with a disadvantage if I can help it. But I do think that he's going to end up on the inside and at that point, I worry about the way he anchors in and the functional strength. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I totally forgot that you were a VT guy when I dropped Darrisaw's name LOL. 

But yes...I'm a fan of him. I think the upside is tremendous. 

Slater I Think is fine...but I view him more in the way that I viewed Joel Bitonio coming out. He could certainly be a gifted tackle...Joe Staley was considered not to have great length and obviously he was fine...but I think when you're drafting at #12, I don't want to be drafting a guy who's starting with a disadvantage if I can help it. But I do think that he's going to end up on the inside and at that point, I worry about the way he anchors in and the functional strength. 

Yeah at #12, it would be nice to have a plug and play guy either in the secondary or at EDGE. I just don't see a need for anyone else outside of QB at #12. Trent Williams obviously changes that if he doesn't come back.

5 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yeah at #12, it would be nice to have a plug and play guy either in the secondary or at EDGE. I just don't see a need for anyone else outside of QB at #12. Trent Williams obviously changes that if he doesn't come back.

Agree about #12. We either sit at 12 and pick a QB, trade up for a QB or trade down to the early 20s, get a couple of extra 2nd day picks and pick the best DB, IOL and Edge players who will still be available at those spots. There's just no value in picking our needs at #12.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Forge said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And he adjusted his scheme for RG3. This is why it is hilarious to think the team still can't contend next season with a rookie QB. There will be some growing pains but Shanny will scheme guys open and make it easy for the rookie. 

• Like 2