2021 Draft Thread

John232

21 hours ago, Forge said:

He may do well in this system. Maybe.

Not sure if these stats mean anything though; don't have other Qbs 

Ours is the system in which he would perform BEST. Period. End of story. 😜

And I do not want any more 1 read QBs. I've had my fill of those. No more, please.

Edited by Chrissooner49er
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

lol Chris Ballard is a national treasure

He's absolutely right though. Take the wrong one and it sets the franchise back and the GM is almost always fired. Look at the Bears, Pace doesn't have long there. AZ quickly moved on and didn't let Rosen set them back and were able to take Murray to save face. 

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's absolutely right though. Take the wrong one and it sets the franchise back and the GM is almost always fired. Look at the Bears, Pace doesn't have long there. AZ quickly moved on and didn't let Rosen set them back and were able to take Murray to save face. 

I think holding on to the wrong guy hurts more than drafting the wrong one.

22 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I think holding on to the wrong guy hurts more than drafting the wrong one.

But that's the problem. How often does a team do what the Cardinals just did? Almost never. You usually keep the first round QB around for 3-4 years. The Cardinals were able to right their wrong with the first overall pick the following year after taking Rosen. You are more likely to see guys like Trubisky, Bortles, etc stay for a good bit time and the GM will not survive if the QB ends up failing. 

Fans just want their teams to take a QB in the first round anytime they are disgruntled with their current situation but you can't just take one to take one. It has to be the right player and one you feel comfortable will be able to succeed in the system you implement. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But that's the problem. How often does a team do what the Cardinals just did? Almost never. You usually keep the first round QB around for 3-4 years. The Cardinals were able to right their wrong with the first overall pick the following year after taking Rosen. You are more likely to see guys like Trubisky, Bortles, etc stay for a good bit time and the GM will not survive if the QB ends up failing. 

Fans just want their teams to take a QB in the first round anytime they are disgruntled with their current situation but you can't just take one to take one. It has to be the right player and one you feel comfortable will be able to succeed in the system you implement. 

This is why we often see guys drafted in the first round that have no business being drafted in the first round. Christian Ponder, EJ Manuel, Brandon Weeden, etc. Just taking a guy to take a QB is not good for business. I think there are 4 guys worthy of a 1st round pick this year. Obviously Lawrence will be gone at 1 and Fields or Wilson could easily go at 2. I don't think we're going to get a QB this year early unless we're aggressive and go up and get our guy. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go CB or DE in 1 - If Trent Williams isn't resigned I fully expect our first pick to be a LT, although I hope we're able to bring him back. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Ninerholic said:

Everyone’s talking about Watson but I wonder what the asking price for Stafford will be.

Probably just a first rounder and a mid round pick next season. That's probably at the high end. May even be able to get him for a 2nd and 3rd to be honest. 

In the Jets thread on NFL News, someone posted a video of Schefter saying that the Jets believe in Darnold and want to see how he does in a new system. You can also read that as the Jets FO not liking any of the QB prospects after Lawrence as well. 

Also said they would be open to trading down...if we really do love Wilson, and we don't think he'll fall, this could be the spot. Shanny doesn't like to risk losing out on his offensive guys

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

In the Jets thread on NFL News, someone posted a video of Schefter saying that the Jets believe in Darnold and want to see how he does in a new system. You can also read that as the Jets FO not liking any of the QB prospects after Lawrence as well. 

Also said they would be open to trading down...if we really do love Wilson, and we don't think he'll fall, this could be the spot. Shanny doesn't like to risk losing out on his offensive guys

Here it is. He's not the first to say this either; allbright was saying a few weeks ago that he was hearing trade down was most likely

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Probably just a first rounder and a mid round pick next season. That's probably at the high end. May even be able to get him for a 2nd and 3rd to be honest. 

I'd do two seconds or maybe something involving next year's first

22 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'm generally not one to propose trade ups--you know me, I hate to lose draft capital--but if we are serious about moving on from Jimmy G, this would be the safest way to do so. Be certain to get THE guy you want, not "settling" for whomever falls.