2021 Draft Thread

John232

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd do two seconds or maybe something involving next year's first

That would be my preferred route. Watson isn’t a realistic option in my mind. And talks of involving Bosa in a trade blows my mind. I’ve always been a Stafford fan and would love to trade for him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ninerholic said:

That would be my preferred route. Watson isn’t a realistic option in my mind. And talks of involving Bosa in a trade blows my mind. I’ve always been a Stafford fan and would love to trade for him.

I wholeheartedly believe with Stafford we are a top three offense in the NFL. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Forge said:

I wholeheartedly believe with Stafford we are a top three offense in the NFL. 

Definitely possible, but this sticks out to me:

The deep ball would return to this offense and he would do a lot of good things but there is still something off with Stafford. The Lions have not fielded a top 10 offense by DVOA since 2012. He can make all the throws and can be an upgrade but he's not quite as good as his raw numbers indicate. He's had very good weapons on the perimeter his entire career and while his backs haven't been good, he should have gotten the Lions in the top 10 at least a few times the last 10 years. 

Wouldn't be mad at getting Stafford, but...................

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely possible, but this sticks out to me:

The deep ball would return to this offense and he would do a lot of good things but there is still something off with Stafford. The Lions have not fielded a top 10 offense by DVOA since 2012. He can make all the throws and can be an upgrade but he's not quite as good as his raw numbers indicate. He's had very good weapons on the perimeter his entire career and while his backs haven't been good, he should have gotten the Lions in the top 10 at least a few times the last 10 years. 

Wouldn't be mad at getting Stafford, but...................

That's fine. Playing for us he'll seldom have a clean pocket. 

That being said, his CPOE is -1. That's fine. Jimmy was -3.5. Last year Stafford was +3.5 and Jimmy was +1.7. 

I think when on the field Stafford will probably be a improvement over Jimmy. However dont really feel the cost of both his contract and picks we would have to give up to get him would be worth the improvement. While i get the point made about the lack of talent there has been around him both i just don't think he is as good as his stats would make it seem. 

Just now, Forge said:

That's fine. Playing for us he'll seldom have a clean pocket. 

That being said, his CPOE is -1. That's fine. Jimmy was -3.5. Last year Stafford was +3.5 and Jimmy was +1.7. 

Again, wouldn't mind Stafford at all and will be fun to finally take shots down the field every game but I think I prefer to take a rookie in the first round over him. There is something missing with him. Every year you look and he has an insane amount of passing yards yet will throw INTs at the worst times, is playing from behind often and is fielding average offenses. He's in a way kind of like Cousins. But he does have a easy contract to get rid of in two years and shouldn't cost THAT much. 

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Again, wouldn't mind Stafford at all and will be fun to finally take shots down the field every game but I think I prefer to take a rookie in the first round over him. There is something missing with him. Every year you look and he has an insane amount of passing yards yet will throw INTs at the worst times, is playing from behind often and is fielding average offenses. He's in a way kind of like Cousins. But he does have a easy contract to get rid of in two years and shouldn't cost THAT much. 

Rookie is the way I want to go. We have seen what this offense has done for QBs around the league and I Have no reason to think that Stafford would be any different, though admittedly that is wholly an assumption. But if you get him to improve some pretty rudimentary stuff based on the scheme and then add in the deep ball...whoa. This offense can be scary. That being said...he's got a limited time frame to work with, will cost money and assets, and though I'll credit his toughness...the fact that he's always banged up at this point has to be a concern. So that's going to have to be a conversation the FO has. 

I mentioned it before, but I'm kind of in on the Minshew train with them drafting Lawrence. I think you can take Minshew and make him comparable to Jimmy at 5% of the cost. He's not quite as good, I think...but if he's 90-95% of JImmy while making 5% of the salary, that's a jump I make. Minshew + Trent or Jimmy + Skule really isn't a contest for me, and he actually had some big jumps in year 1 - 2. He's not as accurate as Jimmy, also struggles with the deep ball, but I don't think that there's a huge difference overall. I think that's a good way to really money ball this position if you're not selling out to get better in the draft or trade. Minshew is also a good fit regardless of the situation. If you draft a guy or miss, he can bridge. If you make a move for your QB in the first, he can be one of the better back ups in the NFL and still improves the QB room. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Rookie is the way I want to go. We have seen what this offense has done for QBs around the league and I Have no reason to think that Stafford would be any different, though admittedly that is wholly an assumption. But if you get him to improve some pretty rudimentary stuff based on the scheme and then add in the deep ball...whoa. This offense can be scary. That being said...he's got a limited time frame to work with, will cost money and assets, and though I'll credit his toughness...the fact that he's always banged up at this point has to be a concern. So that's going to have to be a conversation the FO has. 

I mentioned it before, but I'm kind of in on the Minshew train with them drafting Lawrence. I think you can take Minshew and make him comparable to Jimmy at 5% of the cost. He's not quite as good, I think...but if he's 90-95% of JImmy while making 5% of the salary, that's a jump I make. Minshew + Trent or Jimmy + Skule really isn't a contest for me, and he actually had some big jumps in year 1 - 2. He's not as accurate as Jimmy, also struggles with the deep ball, but I don't think that there's a huge difference overall. I think that's a good way to really money ball this position if you're not selling out to get better in the draft or trade. Minshew is also a good fit regardless of the situation. If you draft a guy or miss, he can bridge. If you make a move for your QB in the first, he can be one of the better back ups in the NFL and still improves the QB room. 

The offense with Stafford should definitely top 10, but it should be that with Jimmy G. Stafford has more physical tools than Jimmy obviously and definitely will open up the playbook more. I wonder how he will do on those quick hitting slants. Either way, little reason to think he won't get it done in this offense. Something just makes me uneasy with him though. 

I'm okay with the rookie and Minshew route but I don't really want that. I just prefer giving the ball to the rookie from day one. Lance may be the exception. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm okay with the rookie and Minshew route but I don't really want that. I just prefer giving the ball to the rookie from day one. Lance may be the exception. 

My preference would be to start the rookie right from jump (honestly maybe even Lance), but it's tricky because you have to make that move so early (well before the draft). So there's a chance that you don't get anyone (or have to wait and end up taking a Trask / Jones in round 2 or someone later in round 3). So you have to be okay with MInshew starting if we miss out. For me, I'm okay with that. But Minshew isn't very good, so I understand why others would not be. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

My preference would be to start the rookie right from jump (honestly maybe even Lance), but it's tricky because you have to make that move so early (well before the draft). So there's a chance that you don't get anyone (or have to wait and end up taking a Trask / Jones in round 2 or someone later in round 3). So you have to be okay with MInshew starting if we miss out. For me, I'm okay with that. But Minshew isn't very good, so I understand why others would not be. 

But say we want Minshew, we could just trade for him during the draft? He's not costing more than a day 3 pick anyways so you can afford to wait with him? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

But say we want Minshew, we could just trade for him during the draft? He's not costing more than a day 3 pick anyways so you can afford to wait with him? 

The thing is, I believe we have to move off Jimmy before that. So I think you'd want to make those moves in tandem so you can use the freed up cash for free agency. If you wait until the draft to cut Jimmy loose and trade for Minshew, free agency is toast and almost anyone worth signing to improve the team is gone. The reason I would want Minshew would be to put that money we are saving to work for us this year. I don't know if you can do that if you wait. Maybe you can...you can use that money on the rookie class and Warner's extension which both would happen after. 

• Like 1

Ben Solak did his first mock draft and had us trading up to #3 (1st, 2nd, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd + 2022 5th; we get a 6th back in 2022 as well) for Wilson. 

Draft Network guys all have the feeling we are moving up in this draft. This is at least the third separate draft guy I've seen create a mock where we trade up to either 2 or 3 to get our QB 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ben Solak did his first mock draft and had us trading up to #3 (1st, 2nd, 2022 1st, 2022 2nd + 2022 5th; we get a 6th back in 2022 as well) for Wilson. 

Draft Network guys all have the feeling we are moving up in this draft. This is at least the third separate draft guy I've seen create a mock where we trade up to either 2 or 3 to get our QB 

I'm  on board with that!

• Like 1

Falcons

Rashawn Slater

OT, Northwestern

Okay, everybody calm down.

Here’s what I’ve got. I’ve got Daniel Jeremiah, who’s a great barometer for the league, ranking Slater above Penei Sewell. I’ve got Lance Zierlein, another league barometer, agreeing with him. I’ve got Matt Miller, who’s always well-sourced, saying multiple scouting directors and area scouts prefer Slater to Sewell. 

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.