2021 Draft Thread

John232

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

My only concern would be all the comments we’ve heard about how complex Kyle’s offense is and guys like Aiyuk and Samuel mentioning how long it took them to get comfortable. I wouldn’t want to crush his confidence right away when we could let him sit and still win games with Jimmy.

I'm really hoping that he's working with someone regarding concepts / plays / tape during this time that he has been off. My understanding is that he was watching a bunch of film. I can't remember what podcast I heard that on, but I know I heard it somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I'm really hoping that he's working with someone regarding concepts / plays / tape during this time that he has been off. My understanding is that he was watching a bunch of film. I can't remember what podcast I heard that on, but I know I heard it somewhere. 

Yeah I recall seeing something about that before the season was over, it was probably something you posted. It’d be pretty alarming if he wasn’t using this time for that purpose. 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I will continue to reiterate that I am all in or all out. Give me TL / fields / Wilson / Lance in the first, or give me someone like Newman / Mond in like the 5/6 area to develop. I have no real interest in half measures. 

I totally agree all or nothing when it comes to Qb this draft 

So, you guys are all in on getting Trey Lance this year, right? I mean, that just seems like a match made in heaven with Shanny's offense. Trade Jimmy G back to the Patriots, shore up the offensive line, and let Trey work.

Also, what's the deal w/ Jalen Hurd? Will he be healthy in time for the start of next season? Feel like he could be better than both Deebo and Aiyuk if he could actually see the field.

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

So, you guys are all in on getting Trey Lance this year, right? I mean, that just seems like a match made in heaven with Shanny's offense. Trade Jimmy G back to the Patriots, shore up the offensive line, and let Trey work.

Also, what's the deal w/ Jalen Hurd? Will he be healthy in time for the start of next season? Feel like he could be better than both Deebo and Aiyuk if he could actually see the field.

At this point Hurd has had two seasons and hasn't played a down in the regular season. I don't think anyone has much hope that he makes an impact with us any more. If he manages to make it back, great, but he's not someone you can count on.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I'm fine with going with Lance but not sure if he starts right off the bat. But the tools are certainly there and he has a deep ball that looks comparable to Wilson's. Will he drop to #12 though? I actually don't doubt Shanahan can build a system for him in year one where the team can still function fairly well offensively but man do I wish he actually played a full season this year. 

As for Hurd? Two different injuries in two years. At this point you can't really rely on him you anything. If he stays healthy and contributes? Great! But that's not something you go into the offseason expecting. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

If Trey is there at 12 i am all for it. Just not willing to trade up for him. I'd sit him for the first year thou and keep Jimmy for the year. Let Trey sit and learn like what Chiefs did with Mahomes sitting and learning from Alex Smith. 

Hurd is a waste at this point i hate the pick at the time.  i doubt he sees the field with all his injuries, if he comes back great not sure with his injuries he is even worth a roster spot. 

• Like 2

Wilson would be my ideal 1st round pick, even if we have to trade up and give up more picks. We would give up less for Wilson than Watson, overall. 

I'd really like to find a speedy edge to focus on for our 1st round pick if Wilson is gone, but I'm not seeing anyone who really fits the bill at #12 (if we stay). Which means it may be a CB if Wilson is gone (though I would rather go OL) and EDGE will have to wait....it's time to get another Patrick on the Defense: Patrick Jones II in the 2nd or 3rd round.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Wilson would be my ideal 1st round pick, even if we have to trade up and give up more picks. We would give up less for Wilson than Watson, overall. 

I'd really like to find a speedy edge to focus on for our 1st round pick if Wilson is gone, but I'm not seeing anyone who really fits the bill at #12 (if we stay). Which means it may be a CB if Wilson is gone (though I would rather go OL) and EDGE will have to wait....it's time to get another Patrick on the Defense: Patrick Jones II in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Yeah, at this point I'd rather trade up for a QB like Wilson than trade a half decades worth of first round picks. I mean..I won't be upset with Watson, but he's going to be the second highest paid QB of all time whenever his contract is up after this. Getting Wilson gives us an improvement at QB but also doesn't really take the wind out of our sails going into the future and restocking at other positions.

One beautiful thing about our team, and FO is I think they do a really incredible job of bringing in budget players to fill in gaps. Not great with big name signings, but so many of the rotational and depth guys we've brought in have paid huge dividends, so I have confidence that even with less high draft picks, we'll still fill most of our gaps in the coming years. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, at this point I'd rather trade up for a QB like Wilson than trade a half decades worth of first round picks. I mean..I won't be upset with Watson, but he's going to be the second highest paid QB of all time whenever his contract is up after this. Getting Wilson gives us an improvement at QB but also doesn't really take the wind out of our sails going into the future and restocking at other positions.

One beautiful thing about our team, and FO is I think they do a really incredible job of bringing in budget players to fill in gaps. Not great with big name signings, but so many of the rotational and depth guys we've brought in have paid huge dividends, so I have confidence that even with less high draft picks, we'll still fill most of our gaps in the coming years. 

I agree with your post overall but he will be the highest paid QB of all time on a per year basis by the time it is all said and done. Not because I think he is better than Mahomes but that is just how contracts in the nfl work.

12 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I agree with your post overall but he will be the highest paid QB of all time on a per year basis by the time it is all said and done. Not because I think he is better than Mahomes but that is just how contracts in the nfl work.

Yeah, he and Mahomes will swap again when his contract is up. But yeah, Watson is going to be a LOT of money. 

Nobody should be overly concerned with Watson's contract, to be honest. It's got five years left, which is the same as a rookie deal. Also, the cap hits aren't going to be as bad as people would think if the cap skyrockets as people believe it will in 22/23. Plus, with no proration on our end, we can pretty easily massage the cap hits in certain years. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nobody should be overly concerned with Watson's contract, to be honest. It's got five years left, which is the same as a rookie deal. Also, the cap hits aren't going to be as bad as people would think if the cap skyrockets as people believe it will in 22/23. Plus, with no proration on our end, we can pretty easily massage the cap hits in certain years. 

What is the potential out after 2023 though? Potential out for the player or the team?