2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

We don't really need a elite LT for this offense to keep humming along. Just need someone who isn't a complete stiff like McG. 

I'd be perfectly fine letting Skule, Coleman (pretty sure they bring him back) and whatever rookie battle it out for the job. 

If you're not looking for a stiff, the answer isn't Skule / Coleman / Rookie (non first round rookie, I should say). 

We can't see how bad our team is in pass protection and the problems it has caused at times this year and think that we don't need someone pretty good there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Re-signing Warner trumps re-signing Williams imo being as I don't see how we have the money to do both.

We don't really need a elite LT for this offense to keep humming along. Just need someone who isn't a complete stiff like McG. 

I'd be perfectly fine letting Skule, Coleman (pretty sure they bring him back) and whatever rookie battle it out for the job. 

But just like with Kittle, gotta show the locker room that you value guys who come in, play every week at a high level and have developed into elite level players at their position. I cringe when I think about what this defense would look like w/o Warner in the middle. He's going to be one of if not the highest paid at his position. And with the cap shrinking next year, not sure how we can afford both a elite LT and a elite MLB.

We already give up pass protection on this OL for good run blockers, so I'm definitely not interested in losing the only dominant pass blocker on the OL. I don't see it as signing either Warner and not Williams or vice versa. I'm sure they can make it work by getting rid of some contracts. Eventually, there will be some really good teams that make this team drop back in obvious passing downs like the Chiefs did late in the SB. You will need your OL to hold up and I'm simply not trusting someone like Skule in those big pressure situations. We already saw McGlinchey completely fall apart against the Eagles. Our interior OL is far from a good pass blocking unit. You are playing with fire here. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Forge said:

If you're not looking for a stiff, the answer isn't Skule / Coleman / Rookie (non first round rookie, I should say). 

We can't see how bad our team is in pass protection and the problems it has caused at times this year and think that we don't need someone pretty good there. 

I thought Skule looked pretty good for a rookie. I would think by year three, he'd been alot further along in development to actually be a good LT. And I think that's enough considering where this offense seems to be headed under Shanny. And I'd like to see Brunskill get a shot@LT too, being that I believe that's his natural position. 

Of course I would like all five guys to be excellent in pass-pro. But I think that's a pipe dream us fans need to get over. Shanny seems to be gearing the offense to more of quick hitting passing attacking that feeds his YAC monsters. He covets run-blocking most of all, which allows that type of passing game to flourish off of play-action and mis-direction. Its not essential that you have elite pass-blocking OTs when you're taking fewer and fewer 5 and 7 step drops and are under center less and less. 

My thing is this is never going to be passing offense most of us envision it should be or what we have seen from Shanny in the past because of who the QB is currently. So until the QB changes, I don't believe the emphasis on pass-blocking will either. Shanny seems to favor personnel that can execute his run game first, over anything else. And so if that remains our reality, do you really shell out the kind of money it takes to keep a elite LT over paying pennies on the dollar for a decent one?

18 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I thought Skule looked pretty good for a rookie. I would think by year three, he'd been alot further along in development to actually be a good LT. And I think that's enough considering where this offense seems to be headed under Shanny. And I'd like to see Brunskill get a shot@LT too, being that I believe that's his natural position. 

like, a 6th round rookie? That's not really a hard bar to clear. When accounting for all rookies, definitely not. He was terrible last year and this is the first time I have ever heard his play described as "good" in any context lol. He was bad in camp, he was bad in preseason and I don't even know if he makes the roster if Coleman doesn't get hurt. He was awful during the season. Good for a 6th round rookie or not, we aren't grading on a curve. He was faaaaaaaaar below a replacement level offensive lineman. He was graded the worst pass blocker on the team last year by Pff. He had twice as many blocking penalties as any other offensive lineman on the team and I believe tied for second most penalties overall, despite playing fewer snaps. He led the team in the team in sacks allowed, I believe, and had the 4th highest pressure rate of all tackles in the NFL. Those factors are even worse when you add context such as the fact that he played the Washington game and that Jimmy G threw the ball on average is less than 2.5 seconds with Skule in the line up. 

At this point, we don't even know if he's actually developed at all, and the gulf just to make him a competent LT was huge, so thinking that he may be ready to be a good one seems to be a stretch. 

Of course I would like all five guys to be excellent in pass-pro. But I think that's a pipe dream us fans need to get over.

This is not an argument anyone is making, so this is slightly disingenuous. Nobody is saying that we need everyone to be excellent in pass pro. The problem is that everyone on this line is kind of bad in pass pro and Williams is the only one who can be deemed "good". People aren't asking for a line of 5 good pass protectors. People are concerned about keeping the one good pass protector we have on the team. Last year, we were twenty sixth in pass block win rate. This is not a good pass protecting offensive line. This year, we don't have a single offensive lineman in the top 10 in the category and we are bottom five in the league in QB hits allowed through 7 weeks despite the fact that Jimmy gets rid of the ball at a top 5 fastest level in the NFL. 

My thing is this is never going to be passing offense most of us envision it should be or what we have seen from Shanny in the past because of who the QB is currently. So until the QB changes, I don't believe the emphasis on pass-blocking will either. Shanny seems to favor personnel that can execute his run game first, over anything else. And so if that remains our reality, do you really shell out the kind of money it takes to keep a elite LT over paying pennies on the dollar for a decent one?

I mean, clearly we made that choice this year by grabbing Williams...so we definitely knew that we needed someone there. We were willing to give him his money and fix our problem there. So the FO has at least acknowledged that we may need to put money into that position. Williams is obviously a special talent and a bit of an outlier, but we don't know that we won't feel that way still moving forward and feel that he's worth the money. 

Secondarily, where are we paying pennies on the dollar for a decent tackle? This league is lineman starved...everyone gets paid, so we aren't getting a cheap tackle externally, and there is nothing that suggests that what we have on the roster would be decent.  We can find someone cheaper than Williams would cost, and that's a line everyone will have to draw. Would you rather pay williams short term, high market? Or likely have to overpay a mediocre tackle who may come with a little more flexibility? Kelvin Beachum, Garrett Bolles, etc. Thats probably what we would be looking at. Internally, most likely case would be Brunskill cashing in there, but we aren't even sure we will move him out from where he's at. There's nothing that suggests that Skule is or will be a decent tackle, and coleman hasn't played a snap in two years. The plan absolutely cannot be, "lets try these two longshots and hope for the best" 

If we don't re-sign Williams, Tackle absolutely has to be a priority in the first round because that's the best case scenario for getting an affordable talent at the position who can play well. 

• Like 2

So, we'll basically have to retool our entire QB room, OL & Secondary

I'd like to re-sign Trent Williams & Richard Sherman. I'd also like to tender Mosley, and re-sign Garland, Verett, Reed, & Blair to one-year deals. 

I'm going to guess we let go of Jimmy G, Richburg, & Ford. I don't know the details but i assume we'll see some cap savings. Maybe we can trade Jimmy for a pick 

I wanted to re-sign DJ Jones & Thomas to small deals but with Kinlaw, Armstead, Givens, Taylor, & Darron Daniels for the interior DL, i think they both walk. 

Besides those 5, I'm also going to assume that Bethard, McKinnon, Coleman, Juice, Bourne, Trent Taylor, Hyder (will command too much money), Ansah, K'Waun Williams, Jamar Taylor, & Tartt walk. 

Projecting the above, i'd put our draft needs at 

1. QB

2. DE

3. RG

4. SS

5. CB

6. FB

7. WR

Edited by 49ersfan

18 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

So, we'll basically have to retool our entire QB room, OL & Secondary

I'd like to re-sign Trent Williams & Richard Sherman. I'd also like to tender Mosley, and re-sign Garland, Verett, Reed, & Blair to one-year deals. 

I'm going to guess we let go of Jimmy G, Richburg, & Ford. I don't know the details but i assume we'll see some cap savings. Maybe we can trade Jimmy for a pick 

I wanted to re-sign DJ Jones & Thomas to small deals but with Kinlaw, Armstead, Givens, Taylor, & Darron Daniels for the interior DL, i think they both walk. 

Besides those 5, I'm also going to assume that Bethard, McKinnon, Coleman, Juice, Bourne, Trent Taylor, Hyder (will command too much money), Ansah, K'Waun Williams, Jamar Taylor, & Tartt walk. 

Projecting the above, i'd put our draft needs at 

1. QB

2. DE

3. RG

4. SS

5. CB

6. FB

7. WR

I would probably put QB 3rd and bump up DE ad RG one spot each. I just think Shanny will want a vet who knows his system. I have no idea who that may be...

I know it’s early, but Matt Miller did a mock draft on Bleacher report. He has us picking at 15 and selecting Kyle Trask. Basically mentions that Kyle would gush over his attributes and compares him to Matt Ryan. What are your thoughts?

He has Zach Wilson going earlier to the Pats and of course the other big 3 (qbs) going earlier as well. 

On 11/4/2020 at 2:03 PM, StevenK said:

I know it’s early, but Matt Miller did a mock draft on Bleacher report. He has us picking at 15 and selecting Kyle Trask. Basically mentions that Kyle would gush over his attributes and compares him to Matt Ryan. What are your thoughts?

He has Zach Wilson going earlier to the Pats and of course the other big 3 (qbs) going earlier as well. 

Would not be a fan.  I'd rather have the guy Trask is throwing to, and he plays the same position as our recently extended best player.  Not a Trask fan, especially in the middle of the 1st.  I wouldn't hate it if he got into day 2, and they took him there.  Tomorrow will be a big day for his stock.

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's going top 5-6. Will have three first round QBs in the top 10 just like this year. May even be the second QB off the board. 

I don't think he's going before Lance yet, but he'll have a shot and that could be an easy one since Lance doesn't play. 

I don't know why he would go over fields. He'll have a chance, but that's a much steeper hill to climb

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I don't think he's going before Lance yet, but he'll have a shot. I don't know why he would go over fields at all

Will depend on the team. WIlson's arm is ridiculous and he can throw very well on the move. Fields is obviously really good too, but not crazy to think a team would like Wilson more. 

Lance may make it four QBs in the top 10. If the Dolphins like Tua enough and he shows promise, they are going to be able to trade down and get a pretty massive package. That team is going to be so good, very soon.

What's going to be interesting is if the Cowboys end up getting a top 5 pick. Do they tag and trade Dak? Draft possibly Sewell? Falcons could get Ryan's replacement as well.

Depending on how the Patriots finish the season, they may end up in the top 7 and could grab one of the top 4 QBs, or even trade up. 

Fascinating draft ahead, very good one for QB heavy teams. Just overall it seems like the top 10 picks are offense dominant. With the top four QBs, Chase, Waddle, Sewell etc. 

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Will depend on the team. WIlson's arm is ridiculous and he can throw very well on the move. Fields is obviously really good too, but not crazy to think a team would like Wilson more. 

Lance may make it four QBs in the top 10. If the Dolphins like Tua enough and he shows promise, they are going to be able to trade down and get a pretty massive package. That team is going to be so good, very soon.

What's going to be interesting is if the Cowboys end up getting a top 5 pick. Do they tag and trade Dak? Draft possibly Sewell? Falcons could get Ryan's replacement as well.

Depending on how the Patriots finish the season, they may end up in the top 7 and could grab one of the top 4 QBs, or even trade up. 

Fascinating draft ahead, very good one for QB heavy teams. Just overall it seems like the top 10 picks are offense dominant. With the top four QBs, Chase, Waddle, Sewell etc. 

Out of the top ten, 8 can reasonably select a QB. Kind of crazy. And if Miami doesn't like what it sees from Tua, they could be 9, leaving only the chargers