2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

We're of the same mind. 

Who are the guys you feel comfortable taking at 12?

The locks: 

Any of the quarterbacks 

Sewell, Slater. 

Surtain, Farley

The "Value is right but picks are kind of a luxury" bracket

Pitts  & any of the receivers. They are worth the pick in terms of value independent of needs, but the truth of the matter is that needs matter and a team with a lot of needs and not a lot of recourse to fill those needs would  be making a weird choice by going this route while also trying to "win now". I struggle to see how this works while putting our best team forward immediately. Yes, you are also building for the long term, but if you're doing that, may as well go get the QB. I don't know. This is one of those things that I'd probably be okay with, but I wouldn't love. We can also name this the "Kinlaw tier" as I felt the same way about him last year. 

FTR, rankings are: Pitts / Waddle / Chase / Smith. 

The "I'm very close to being okay with them here but I'm not quite there yet" group

Vera - Tucker

Darrisaw / Cosmi. 

Vera Tucker is someone I'm really close on just because I like the floor and I think there's a high likelihood that the Chargers take him the following pick, so I think if you want him (assuming slater is gone) then you probably do have to stay and take him. 

The problem with the tackles here is that I don't think that you lose much if you trade down. I think these guys like start coming off in earnest probably around the 20th and after. 

I'd rather trade down if we are going edge. There's not any that I would consider at 12, though I have no problem going Edge with our first pick. I just really like the depth of the class and they all have some degree of questions, so I feel comfortable missing out on one for another. 

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

The locks: 

Any of the quarterbacks 

Sewell, Slater. 

Surtain, Farley

The "Value is right but picks are kind of a luxury" bracket

Pitts  & any of the receivers. They are worth the pick in terms of value independent of needs, but the truth of the matter is that needs matter and a team with a lot of needs and not a lot of recourse to fill those needs would  be making a weird choice by going this route while also trying to "win now". I struggle to see how this works while putting our best team forward immediately. Yes, you are also building for the long term, but if you're doing that, may as well go get the QB. I don't know. This is one of those things that I'd probably be okay with, but I wouldn't love. We can also name this the "Kinlaw tier" as I felt the same way about him last year. 

FTR, rankings are: Pitts / Waddle / Chase / Smith. 

The "I'm very close to being okay with them here but I'm not quite there yet" group

Vera - Tucker

Darrisaw / Cosmi. 

Vera Tucker is someone I'm really close on just because I like the floor and I think there's a high likelihood that the Chargers take him the following pick, so I think if you want him (assuming slater is gone) then you probably do have to stay and take him. 

The problem with the tackles here is that I don't think that you lose much if you trade down. I think these guys like start coming off in earnest probably around the 20th and after. 

I'd rather trade down if we are going edge. There's not any that I would consider at 12, though I have no problem going Edge with our first pick. I just really like the depth of the class and they all have some degree of questions, so I feel comfortable missing out on one for another. 

This is pretty much my group as well. I think what happens with Trent Williams will be interesting. If we end up not being able to re-sign him, we're actually in a pretty good spot to choose from most of the top tackle prospects. If we loose Williams, sign me up for Christian Derrisaw at 12.

37 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm very close to putting Fields back as the QB2. 

Back and forth, back and forth. 

I think I'm just going to make them 2a / 2b, same tier and any team who has a choice between them can just flip a coin. 

Side note, somewhat related to this: 

How Brian Hartline is not on an NFL coaching staff is beyond silly. I can't believe Urban didn't bring him to Jax. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I think I'm just going to make them 2a / 2b, same tier and any team who has a choice between them can just flip a coin. 

I would be happy with either. However I’m not holding out much hope that we draft a QB anywhere near the top of the draft.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Forge said:

I need to study Fields more. I really haven't looked into him much yet, so I can't add a whole lot to this topic right now. I think Wilson is still my guy. Watching him run and throw is like poetry in motion.

If we don't trade for Watson or take a QB in the first round, I bet Mills will be one of Shanny's targets in the 3rd round. Even if Jimmy is the QB, I bet Shanny will still draft a rookie in the draft to go alongside Rosen. Beathard/Mullens aren't going to return to the room. 

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we don't trade for Watson or take a QB in the first round, I bet Mills will be one of Shanny's targets in the 3rd round. Even if Jimmy is the QB, I bet Shanny will still draft a rookie in the draft to go alongside Rosen. Beathard/Mullens aren't going to return to the room

I really hope this is the case. They haven't shown that they deserve to be retained imo. Mills is definitely one of those guys I wouldn't mind taking a shot at if we don't go QB early. Big traits guy with room to develop. 

Just now, GW21 said:

I really hope this is the case. They haven't shown that they deserve to be retained imo. Mills is definitely one of those guys I wouldn't mind taking a shot at if we don't go QB early. Big traits guy with room to develop. 

They are gone, especially Mullens. Shanahan supported Mullens as long as he could but he was so fed up with him late in the season. Beathard has a better chance of staying but still think they just go with Rosen and rookie as the backups to Jimmy. 

• Like 2

He's going to do a comparison of Horn, Surtain, and Farley. I'm very excited to see his breakdown of this.

I'm a fan of Horn and I think he'd be great in our defense the last two years. Assuming Ryans employs similar back-end coverage schemes, Horn could be special in our defense. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Forge said:

Anyone else following JT O'Sullivan's QB school on youtube? As bad as he was as a starting QB, he's interesting analysing QB play. He had a video on Wilson today. I'm definitely not enamoured with him or Fields, they have flaws, in my opinion. Even Lawrence doesn't look as good as he's made out to be. So in the end, it all comes down to things I have no knowledge of. Who is the biggest football maniac, the hardest worker, etc. What are the red flags? As far as red flags go, I feel like our FO will err on the side of caution, as they've done for the most part, so if they do take a QB, he'll be properly vetted.

I think it's going to be Jimmy again. I think Kyle and John can justify whatever decision they make with Jimmy's injuries. If he's back, they can say that when he's healthy, he can take us to the superbowl, if they get someone else, place the blame on him being injured too often. It's a moderately easy sell either way. They won't throw him under the bus. Not his play, at least. Maybe his health.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, Forge said:

I just can't get over the first read stats which led to the sacks analysis with him. Kryptonite for me and it's a damn shame cause I wanted us to miraculously draft the kid sooo much.

8 hours ago, Psychlone said:

I just can't get over the first read stats which led to the sacks analysis with him. Kryptonite for me and it's a damn shame cause I wanted us to miraculously draft the kid sooo much.

I wouldn't get too hung up over that. I mean it is something to ponder, but in alot spread schemes that's how the QBs are taught. Identify the primary and get the ball out quick. Alot college offenses are geared around tempo and incremental yardage so QBs are taught to get the ball out to the best match-ups and keep the chains moving. Makes it hard af to evaluate QBs now, with pro-style offenses in college going the way of the dinosaur pretty much.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I wouldn't get too hung up over that. I mean it is something to ponder, but in alot spread schemes that's how the QBs are taught. Identify the primary and get the ball out quick. Alot college offenses are geared around tempo and incremental yardage so QBs are taught to get the ball out to the best match-ups and keep the chains moving. Makes it hard af to evaluate QBs now, with pro-style offenses in college going the way of the dinosaur pretty much.

My main worry though is the same as we have had for the past few years where if that guy he thinks will be open gets open you get a great play. However when that doesn't happen what will happen.