2021 Draft Thread

John232

4 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I wouldn't get too hung up over that. I mean it is something to ponder, but in alot spread schemes that's how the QBs are taught. Identify the primary and get the ball out quick. Alot college offenses are geared around tempo and incremental yardage so QBs are taught to get the ball out to the best match-ups and keep the chains moving. Makes it hard af to evaluate QBs now, with pro-style offenses in college going the way of the dinosaur pretty much.

Jimmy throws to his primary read about 70% of the time if I remember correctly. You're right, it's just the way that football offenses have gone over the years. 

15 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

My main worry though is the same as we have had for the past few years where if that guy he thinks will be open gets open you get a great play. However when that doesn't happen what will happen. 

I figure it has to be better if only because guys like Fields, Wilson, and Lance can make plays out of structure, which Jimmy 100% can't. I do think that you'll see similar style INTs regardless of who the QB is (It's worth nothing that Mullens and Jimmy share some very similar ints underneath and I think that is based on the offense, not so much them). 

• Like 1

The first read thing is kind of overrated and the problem right now is folks are trying to look for the perfect QB prospect....And guess what? There is none and that's including Lawrence.

I believe in Fields talent and what Shanny can do with him. Would LOVE if we can somehow draft him. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The first read thing is kind of overrated and the problem right now is folks are trying to look for the perfect QB prospect....And guess what? There is none and that's including Lawrence.

I believe in Fields talent and what Shanny can do with him. Would LOVE if we can somehow draft him. 

My biggest fear on Fields is simply how little he actually throws his receivers open. So I have concerns regarding that, but thats a double edged sword. Wilson throws his receivers open all the time, but anyone who thinks that Wilson isn't going to throw a ton of interceptions (particularly at the start of his career) is in for a rude awakening. So that's the trade off. I really think Fields can come in right away and be effective though. He's smart, physical talent is outstanding, arm is good all the way around 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

I figure it has to be better if only because guys like Fields, Wilson, and Lance can make plays out of structure, which Jimmy 100% can't. I do think that you'll see similar style INTs regardless of who the QB is (It's worth nothing that Mullens and Jimmy share some very similar ints underneath and I think that is based on the offense, not so much them). 

Meh, I don't think Jimmy's nor Mullens ints are scheme related at all personally. If the right kind of coverage is called, they tend to not identify roaming 'backer or safety and they rarely if ever look off the middle defender. I haven't watched much All-22 from 2020 yet but in 2019 Jimmy had a bad habit of not identify his keys (defender in conflict, depending on the route concept) post-snap and predetermined alot of his bad throws based off match-ups instead.

27 minutes ago, Forge said:

My biggest fear on Fields is simply how little he actually throws his receivers open. So I have concerns regarding that, but thats a double edged sword. Wilson throws his receivers open all the time, but anyone who thinks that Wilson isn't going to throw a ton of interceptions (particularly at the start of his career) is in for a rude awakening. So that's the trade off. I really think Fields can come in right away and be effective though. He's smart, physical talent is outstanding, arm is good all the way around 

My thing with Fields is he just doesn't pass the eye test for me personally to make me think he's going to be very good. He has some good traits. But I don't see enough that makes me think he's very good/elite at anything in particular. He's mobile w/ a pretty good arm and is very athletic...that's about it. There's literally 10 QBs in the draft with similar traits but had worst talent around them/worst teams so they're looked at differently. And the fact he couldn't beat out a marginal talent like Fromm@UGA and ended up transferring is kind of of an issue for me.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Even if that is the case, he will still work in this offense since Shanny is so good at drawing up open receivers and then Fields WILL take shots down the field on shot plays. So even if he doesn't develop into the type of QB who throws receivers open, the potential of this offense is still pretty insane. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Even if that is the case, he will still work in this offense since Shanny is so good at drawing up open receivers and then Fields WILL take shots down the field on shot plays. So even if he doesn't develop into the type of QB who throws receivers open, the potential of this offense is still pretty insane. 

And that's why I've come around to be pretty bullish on him as a QB in this system. 

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

My thing with Fields is he just doesn't pass the eye test for me personally to make me think he's going to very good. He has some good traits. But I don't see enough that makes me think he's very good to elite at anything in particularly. He's mobile, pretty good arm and a very good athletically...that's about it. There's literally 10 QBs in the draft with similar traits but had worst talent around them/worst teams so they're looked at differently. And the fact he couldn't beat out a marginal talent like Fromm@UGA and ended up transferring is kind of of a issue for me.

I think you're underrating how good that arm is all the way around. 

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think you're underrating how good that arm is all the way around. 

Fair enough. But I just don't see a franchise guy when I watch him. I see some Watson-like plays but I don't consistently see him being a difference maker from the pocket.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Fair enough. But I just don't see a franchise guy when I watch him. I see some Watson-like plays but I don't consistently see him being a difference maker from the pocket.

He's a tricky eval and his offense doesn't do him favors. One of the things that goes around (and I'm guilty of perpetuating this) is how slow he is in processing. I think that this is a fair criticism to some extent, but if I'm going to hit him for this, I have to acknowledge and put out there that his passing offense greatly exacerbates this as the OSU passing game is predicated on down field option routes, which is fairly rare. Most people don't know this. Of course he's going to hold the ball longer if he has to wait for an option route that occurs 15 yards down field (and that's not an exaggeration - his OSU passing offense heavily utilizes that ). 

I do agree, and have typically been very wary of transfers though. I actually agree with that when you said that before. Unless they are a grad transfer going for reasons separate from competition within the team.  

I would still like to move back and potentially add an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder to this years draft, this is IF we arent planning on targeting a QB early.

If we can move back from #12 to the early 20's, there will probably some very strong players sitting there that can help us address multiple needs heading into next year.

EDGE, IOL and CB have some very good talent in the first 3 rounds, add an additional pick and we could also take advantage of a potentially deep WR class as well....or maybe RB.

I just dont see many players being available at #12 that I would sacrifice for an additional player later in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd

38 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I would still like to move back and potentially add an additional 2nd or 3rd rounder to this years draft, this is IF we arent planning on targeting a QB early.

If we can move back from #12 to the early 20's, there will probably some very strong players sitting there that can help us address multiple needs heading into next year.

EDGE, IOL and CB have some very good talent in the first 3 rounds, add an additional pick and we could also take advantage of a potentially deep WR class as well....or maybe RB.

I just dont see many players being available at #12 that I would sacrifice for an additional player later in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd

I agree this draft will have good players at IOL, edge and CB in the 20s. If we aren't going to draft a QB would prefer to move back. 

• Like 1