2021 Draft Thread

John232

2 hours ago, Forge said:

He's a tricky eval and his offense doesn't do him favors. One of the things that goes around (and I'm guilty of perpetuating this) is how slow he is in processing. I think that this is a fair criticism to some extent, but if I'm going to hit him for this, I have to acknowledge and put out there that his passing offense greatly exacerbates this as the OSU passing game is predicated on down field option routes, which is fairly rare. Most people don't know this. Of course he's going to hold the ball longer if he has to wait for an option route that occurs 15 yards down field (and that's not an exaggeration - his OSU passing offense heavily utilizes that ). 

I do agree, and have typically been very wary of transfers though. I actually agree with that when you said that before. Unless they are a grad transfer going for reasons separate from competition within the team.  

All good points. It's not that I dislike him. I just don't see the QBOTF traits in his game that lead me to believe he should be taken fairly high in the draft. 

You know my stance on Newman. I think he has enough tools and upside to be taken in the 3rd or 4th round and see what shakes out. I think Fields is a slightly better prospect. Fields probably has the better arm. Better athletically but not by much. I'd say they're about even as runners with the ball. And from the pocket, I'd also consider them about even, though Newman played behind a O-Line that was much worst than Fields. So if I'm giving Newman a 4th round grade and he's not that far removed from Fields for me personally, its hard for me to get on board with taking Fields #12 overall. And I think had Newman played this past season@UGA and had been able to shwocase himself in the SEC, his entire eval as a prospect could be completely different and he may have been in the conversation with a guy like Mac Jones as far where's he's slotted in the draft. 

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I agree this draft will have good players at IOL, edge and CB in the 20s. If we aren't going to draft a QB would prefer to move back. 

Even if the Niners wanted a 1st round QB (yes, it depends on who they rate a first round QB), but they may still be able to land one if they traded back into the early 20's. I just dont see 5 QB's being drafted before pick 20, I would think that Mac Jones or Trey Lance would drop into that range.....and I would be fine with either of them (i have warmed up to both) being drafted there by us, simply because we added an additional pick and still got a QB.

BTW, if you havent warmed up to either of those QB's, just think of next season IF Jimmy G goes down, I would rather have a young QB in the wings (no not Rosen) ready to step in, Jones or Lance would at least create some excitement

26 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Even if the Niners wanted a 1st round QB (yes, it depends on who they rate a first round QB), but they may still be able to land one if they traded back into the early 20's. I just dont see 5 QB's being drafted before pick 20, I would think that Mac Jones or Trey Lance would drop into that range.....and I would be fine with either of them (i have warmed up to both) being drafted there by us, simply because we added an additional pick and still got a QB.

BTW, if you havent warmed up to either of those QB's, just think of next season IF Jimmy G goes down, I would rather have a young QB in the wings (no not Rosen) ready to step in, Jones or Lance would at least create some excitement

I just don't buy the idea that they will trade back to draft a QB. Knowing Kyle's history of wanting specific player and going getting them in the draft. If they fall in love with a player they will ether draft them at 12 or move up for whoever Kyle ends up liking. If we draft a QB in the 20s it more then likely happens from a trade up from the 2nd round into the first. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I just don't buy the idea that they will trade back to draft a QB. Knowing Kyle's history of wanting specific player and going getting them in the draft. If they fall in love with a player they will ether draft them at 12 or move up for whoever Kyle ends up liking. If we draft a QB in the 20s it more then likely happens from a trade up from the 2nd round into the first. 

There is precedent for Lynch trading back enough to get more picks and still ensure they get their guy. They've done it with Solomon Thomas and Kinlaw. Granted, they only moved back 1 spot with each, but the point is that Lynch is willing to move down just far enough that they're still able to get their guy, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for us to move down a few spots and still take Lance or a CB or EDGE, whoever they target. 

When they zero in on their guy in the first, they do what they need to do to get him, but if there's an opportunity to gain more picks while still getting that guy, Lynch will do it.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

There is precedent for Lynch trading back enough to get more picks and still ensure they get their guy. They've done it with Solomon Thomas and Kinlaw. Granted, they only moved back 1 spot with each, but the point is that Lynch is willing to move down just far enough that they're still able to get their guy, so it's not out of the realm of possibility for us to move down a few spots and still take Lance or a CB or EDGE, whoever they target. 

When they zero in on their guy in the first, they do what they need to do to get him, but if there's an opportunity to gain more picks while still getting that guy, Lynch will do it.

For me that's fine with other positions but at QB  go get your guy. If he's there at 12 you take him. Now if they move back from 12 to 13 sure that's fine but moving from 12 to 20 seems dumb if your targeting a QB. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

For me that's fine with other positions but at QB  go get your guy. If he's there at 12 you take him. Now if they move back from 12 to 13 sure that's fine but moving from 12 to 20 seems dumb if your targeting a QB. 

I would agree with that. So far, we have not seen Lynch move that far down in the first. We've only seen him jump back into the 1st round once, move down 1 spot twice, and moved up a few spots once. It would shock me, I think, to see him move that far down unless they really don't value anyone in the top 20 that's theoretically available at #12.

If they do like Lance, #12 is actually a pretty good spot for him. If they love Wilson or Fields, they will need to get somewhere in the 3-7 range to secure one of them.

17 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I dont look at it like this. I do agree, if Kyle wants someone, he will go up and get them.

But I think this draft differs from years past and the top 20 don't seem as strong as they have in years past as well. Thats why i think, with so many holes to fill and Shanny not having a person he really covets in the top 20, he would be willing to trade back, secure another early pick and see who falls.

If a QB falls that he thinks is worht it, obviously pull the trigger, but it could be any position. I just believe they should trade back, pick up some extra ammo in the early rounds and see what talent falls.

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

I would agree with that. So far, we have not seen Lynch move that far down in the first. We've only seen him jump back into the 1st round once, move down 1 spot twice, and moved up a few spots once. It would shock me, I think, to see him move that far down unless they really don't value anyone in the top 20 that's theoretically available at #12.

If they do like Lance, #12 is actually a pretty good spot for him. If they love Wilson or Fields, they will need to get somewhere in the 3-7 range to secure one of them.

I agree 100 percent I think the earliest I would be willing to move up is 6. The value of getting into the top 5 is going to be expensive. I don't expect Wilson to be there but 100 percent ok with moving up to 6 for Fields. Lance I'd prefer to just hope he's there at 12 unless they just fall in love with him then I'm fine with moving into the top 10 for him. 

2 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I dont look at it like this. I do agree, if Kyle wants someone, he will go up and get them.

But I think this draft differs from years past and the top 20 don't seem as strong as they have in years past as well. Thats why i think, with so many holes to fill and Shanny not having a person he really covets in the top 20, he would be willing to trade back, secure another early pick and see who falls.

If a QB falls that he thinks is worht it, obviously pull the trigger, but it could be any position. I just believe they should trade back, pick up some extra ammo in the early rounds and see what talent falls.

I'm fine with trading back out of the top 20 if we are drafting Oline, Edge and corner. Which I expect us to draft one of those positions in the first round. 

• Like 1

I think if Williams leaves in FA our pick will be Darrisaw. I know that's not an overly exciting pick, but the value in a high end LT is certainly worthy of the #12 pick and Shanny / Lynch have shown that they value tackles. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm fine with trading back out of the top 20 if we are drafting Oline, Edge and corner. Which I expect us to draft one of those positions in the first round. 

I agree, I think those positions are a strength in the first two-three rounds.

The only reason I bring up a QB, aside form it being a huge story line with the Niners everyday, is that we have Jimmy and Rosen for the most part heading into the season. I dont expect Beathard or Mullins back, just because they are know attributes and I think the Niners would rather roll the dice with another project.

Moving back, adding that extra pick, wherever it is, would go a long way with providing talent/ youth at positions of need at this point (IOL, Edge, CB, WR, RB, Safety, etc.) and doing that with early round prospects

Edited by P_locniners