2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

If it's true that the Jags, Jets, Falcons, Eagles, and Panthers are looking to take a QB in the first, along with the possible Texans trade, it seems pretty reasonable that there will be a high-stakes shoot out for any of the top 4 QBs within the top 7-8 picks of the draft. It's also reasonable to expect that Mac Jones will be the best available QB at #12, and I think we're almost all in agreeance that he's not worth the #12 pick. 

I'd like to hold out hope that the 49ers land one of the 4 top QBs, but it just seems less likely as each day passes.

I'd still be very surprised if Atlanta takes a QB. They'd really be wasting two years of their top 5 pick's 4 year cheap contract which is a big plus to drafting him. I wouldn't avoid the quarterback because of that, but I don't think that teams think that way. They are going to know the score there. 

That being said, its worth it to monitor that situation closely. If they do take a QB at 4, that's where it becomes very interesting in regards to Matt Ryan post june 1. 

If we wanted to get one of the top 4 QBs in this draft, I have no doubt that we could do it. I just don't think that we are that desperate to do it. The biggest obstacle to getting one is ourselves. I don't think we have much interest in it. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd still be very surprised if Atlanta takes a QB. They'd really be wasting two years of their top 5 pick's 4 year cheap contract which is a big plus to drafting him. I wouldn't avoid the quarterback because of that, but I don't think that teams think that way. They are going to know the score there. 

That being said, its worth it to monitor that situation closely. If they do take a QB at 4, that's where it becomes very interesting in regards to Matt Ryan post june 1. 

If we wanted to get one of the top 4 QBs in this draft, I have no doubt that we could do it. I just don't think that we are that desperate to do it. The biggest obstacle to getting one is ourselves. I don't think we have much interest in it. 

I would be surprised as well. I really don't see the Falcons, Lions, or Eagles taking a QB in the draft. But, there have been rumors on all three considering it and at this point in the draft process, it's hard to know what's smoke and what's fire.

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

I would be surprised as well. I really don't see the Falcons, Lions, or Eagles taking a QB in the draft. But, there have been rumors on all three considering it and at this point in the draft process, it's hard to know what's smoke and what's fire.

Eagles would be peak dysfunction and I really hope that happens lol

2 hours ago, Forge said:

I was listening to Mad Dog on Sirius radio, and I forget exactly who said it, (A former GM) but he said that anyone that needs a qb in the next two years will most likely grab one this year. (Due to the fact that there is only one qb in next years draft, with a first round ranking). He said he sees the Falcons taking one this year, just for that reason. It does make sense. 

2 minutes ago, mrscottso said:

I was listening to Mad Dog on Sirius radio, and I forget exactly who said it, (A former GM) but he said that anyone that needs a qb in the next two years will most likely grab one this year. (Due to the fact that there is only one qb in next years draft, with a first round ranking). He said he sees the Falcons taking one this year, just for that reason. It does make sense. 

I've heard that as well, but I hate that logic. Yes, right now the belief is that the class isn't going to be very strong. Two years ago, Joe Burrow was an undrafted Free agent. Kyler Murray was going to be a baseball player three years ago. You just never know how those things are going to go. Everyone thought the 2017 draft was weak and wanted to wait until 2018 to get their guy. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

I've heard that as well, but I hate that logic. Yes, right now the belief is that the class isn't going to be very strong. Two years ago, Joe Burrow was an undrafted Free agent. Kyler Murray was going to be a baseball player three years ago. You just never know how those things are going to go. Everyone thought the 2017 draft was weak and wanted to wait until 2018 to get their guy. 

Exactly. Its all fluid. Players progress and the guy who looks like a 4th rounder in 2020 could take a nice leap and look like a 1st overall talent. Burrow just did it. Panicking and and not projecting talent in the pipeline will be the downfall of plenty GMs. If the grade isn't there it just isn't. Justifying reaching@any position because of lack of future talent is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Does anyone have any insight or thoughts on Israel Mukuamu, DB from South Carolina? I've been studying up on him and he seems really intriguing. TDN's write up on him has him being able to play slot, FS, and outside corner at 6'3, which seems rare at his size.

He's super stiff imo. Its been a minute since I really watched him but back in 2018 UVA played against S. Carolina in the Belk Bowl and Olamide Zaccheaus, who now plays for the Falcons had a field day against Mukuamu, Horn and the rest of that Gamecocks secondary. He was just a freshman back then so that bares mentioning but physically he was a long-legged and he had problems with change of direction out of his back pedal.  I think both he and Horn are good scheme fits for the style of defense we currently play but I prefer my CBs to display more fluidity in their hips. I think in press-man they're both a little stiff (Mukuamu especially) and will have trouble with shorter, quicker WRs in man coverage.

• Like 2

Very good breakdown here. 

A lot of people always act like any QB is a great fit for Shanny's system but the throws Fields make really do fit well. His release isn't as quick as some QBs but he will kill it here. Shanny will be able to add to the offense with his running and obviously his arm strength and deep ball would be a huge asset to the offense. 

Little to no chance he falls past the 5th pick so I doubt we have a real chance at getting him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Very good breakdown here. 

A lot of people always act like any QB is a great fit for Shanny's system but the throws Fields make really do fit well. His release isn't as quick as some QBs but he will kill it here. Shanny will be able to add to the offense with his running and obviously his arm strength and deep ball would be a huge asset to the offense. 

Little to no chance he falls past the 5th pick so I doubt we have a real chance at getting him. 

The more I look at Fields, the more I start to like him. There are concerns as there are with any guy, but I'm starting to really buy in. LIS earlier, was really close to making him my QB2 outright...as it is, I'll keep him and Wilson together...but I'm still very tempted to put him up there on his own. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

The more I look at Fields, the more I start to like him. There are concerns as there are with any guy, but I'm starting to really buy in. LIS earlier, was really close to making him my QB2 outright...as it is, I'll keep him and Wilson together...but I'm still very tempted to put him up there on his own. 

I was on Wilson as QB2 before most but I trust Fields to stay healthier than Wilson long-term. Give me the QB built for the hits and the one who will likely be more durable. 

But I don't think every team will rate Fields all that high or will be sold on him. So he has a better chance of dropping than Wilson. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Him and Joseph>>>

Good chance they are available in the 2nd round or at least one of them. Again, if we re-sign Trent, then we have some really good options at CB/Edge in the first two rounds. 

Newsome if CB4. His recovery and work on double moves is also impressive.