2021 Draft Thread

John232

So Barrows mocked us Slater and I think that is possible EVEN if we re-sign Williams. Put Slater at RG in year one and then let him take over at RT when McGlinchey's deal is up. I'm a big Slater guy and think he fits the blocking schemes as well as anyone in the draft. And if they can sign say Alex Mack? This OL all of a sudden becomes one of the best in the league. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Barrows mocked us Slater and I think that is possible EVEN if we re-sign Williams. Put Slater at RG in year one and then let him take over at RT when McGlinchey's deal is up. I'm a big Slater guy and think he fits the blocking schemes as well as anyone in the draft. And if they can sign say Alex Mack? This OL all of a sudden becomes one of the best in the league. 

Love me some Slater. Honestly if you can draw up a guy for this scheme to play at OT/OG you end up with Slater aside from maybe giving him a few more inches.

• Like 2

Just now, Justone2 said:

Love me some Slater. Honestly if you can draw up a guy for this scheme to play at OT/OG you end up with Slater aside from maybe giving him a few more inches.

His movement skills are otherworldly. I definitely think he is the best fit for this scheme. And then in round two take the best pass rusher available. 

Will leave a hole at CB, but they can re-sign Verrett and Spoon and then have a good enough duo there along with Moseley as the back up. But there are a lot of solid CBs available that will sign a one year deal before hitting the market next season. That's good for us. 

His movement skills are otherworldly. I definitely think he is the best fit for this scheme. And then in round two take the best pass rusher available. 

Will leave a hole at CB, but they can re-sign Verrett and Spoon and then have a good enough duo there along with Moseley as the back up. But there are a lot of solid CBs available that will sign a one year deal before hitting the market next season. That's good for us. 

Doing the TCMD GM mock i am really suprised how many decent CB's are hitting the market this year. And with the cap dropping most would probably not sign for big money. Looking at the IOL FA class really is a whole different world. Edge has some interesting guys too.

Yeah, just watched that Slater game versus Chase Young. If we even get remotely competent center play and McGlinchey goes back to normal, we're going to have a god tier offensive line (assuming Williams is brought back too).  I can see why teams might have Slater ahead of Sewell. It's honestly to the point where I think Slater goes top 10. 

21 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Doing the TCMD GM mock i am really suprised how many decent CB's are hitting the market this year. And with the cap dropping most would probably not sign for big money. Looking at the IOL FA class really is a whole different world. Edge has some interesting guys too.

Oh yeah, there's going to be a lot of solid corners on the market taking below market value deals.

This is why I actually favor us taking a OL or edge in round one over a corner. I feel like they will address the corner situation in free agency off bargain deals and just bringing back Verrett/Spoon/Moseley. 

11 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, just watched that Slater game versus Chase Young. If we even get remotely competent center play and McGlinchey goes back to normal, we're going to have a god tier offensive line (assuming Williams is brought back too).  I can see why teams might have Slater ahead of Sewell. It's honestly to the point where I think Slater goes top 10. 

A OL of Williams/Tomlinson/Mack/Slater/McGlinchey is definitely a top level run blocking OL with the potential to being a rock solid pass blocking OL. That is more than what we could say about the OL the last few years. 

Okay @Forge make this all work with our cap situation!!! 

I have no problem with Slater. Similar to how I felt about Wirfs last year - may not stick at tackle, but very high floor because I think he could be an amazing guard. He's so technically proficient it's scary. I don't think he's nearly the athlete that Wirfs is and I don't view him as highly wiht regards to prospect status, but he knows how to play. 

40 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of the 6 1st round picks this regime has had, 4 have been on the trenches (3 DL, 1 OL). 

If we're not going QB, then i believe our 1st rounder will be a pass rushing DE or OT. 

This regime also hasn't seemed to put much of an emphasis on the secondary. We always scrounge our group together with mid-rounders and bargain bin FA's. Sherman was the "splurge" and even he had a reasonable 3 year $30 million contract, although like Verrett, we were gambling against their injury history.

If we go OT at 12, i could see us going for a pass rusher in the 2nd and taking a couple of DB's and IOL in the 3rd-5th rounds. This is just looking at past trends and our needs, not the players who are likely to be available. 

Could see us trying to get some offensive weapons later in the draft like depth at TE, WR, RB, etc 

We'll also probably rely on homegrown players taking that next step, like Colton McVitz at RG, Tarvarius Moore at SS, Demetrius Flanagan-Fowles at LB, etc.

I'm not sure if we'll make a splash in FA if Trent leaves. While i wouldn't mind a pass rusher like Yannick Ngokue for example, i wonder if we'll want to have 3 highly paid DE's next year (Yannick, Bosa, Ford). I think we'd just use that money to be make more competitive offers to re-sign Verrett, Juice, Hyder etc as well as sign Alex Mack in FA. Maybe also use some of that money on a top tier backup QB like Fitz or Dalton. And of course, whatever is left to be carried over

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

This. He does not look impressive enough from the pocket for me. Definitely not enough to warrant a top 10 pick imo. I've stated before his off-script plays are Watson/Allen/Jackson-esque and that's enticing. But its not of enough of them to justify his lack of feel and poise in the pocket. 

I'd like to see him climb the pocket at times. When it's a throwing play, he just stands there and waits. Dead feet. When pressure gets in his face, he either makes an unimpressive throw without moving his feet, or he turns into a superhuman, shedding would-be sacks like he's Big Ben, then running around like he's Watson. But that's being reactive, rather than proactive. Imagine how much better he'd be if he used his pocket to its full extent. He'd probably be in the conversation with Lawrence for #1, because he's that good of an athlete, that good of a thrower, but with an even stronger build than Lawrence, and a history of toughness. But right now, he looks like a statue in the pocket, even though he's one of the best athletes on the field. 

I just watched Trey Lance. The guy is alive in the pocket. His feet are moving, quick, and he climbs up and sets his feet in order to make powerful throws. I liked what I saw. He's unpolished and misses easy throws. And to some extent, I prefer that to being polished and missing easy throws (that was my concern with Jared Goff when he was drafted. The guy was the most polished QB in the draft, but he wasn't super accurate on easy throws. When you throw just slightly behind your receiver on a slant, you're not maximizing the potential of the route. And since he was already polished, I wondered how much he'd improve on that). I wonder how he will look after a year out. But his skill set screams franchise QB.

22 hours ago, Forge said:

Assuming that the staff cares at all lol. 

In what sense? In the sense that they'd get a QB and not work on his flaws, or more in the sense that they don't care about QBs in the first round and plan to go with Jimmy? In that sense, if you're going to draft a tackle at 12, I agree that the staff might not care about Fields' work ethic too much. 😛

39 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That would be great. Seems like almost everyone has Fields dropping out of the top 5 now. Great for us! 

The question I have is would you rather just give up our first round pick next year, or instead give up a combination of of like a 2nd + 4th this year + 2nd next year? 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The question I have is would you rather just give up our first round pick next year, or instead give up a combination of of like a 2nd + 4th this year + 2nd next year? 

Doesn't really matter to be honest. I'd be ecstatic either way getting Fields.

I don't think that is the move they make. I really do think they are all in on going OL and DL in the first two rounds. Would be surprised if this shapes up any other way. 

Doesn't really matter to be honest. I'd be ecstatic either way getting Fields.

I don't think that is the move they make. I really do think they are all in on going OL and DL in the first two rounds. Would be surprised if this shapes up any other way. 

I'd be very surprised if they traded up for a QB as well. The only way I start to believe it is if you see us trade for Darnold / Minshew and jettison Jimmy prior to the draft. Only thing that makes sense as we would then have the money available to spend on free agency. If the draft were before FA, I could see us trading up.