2021 Draft Thread

John232

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'd be very surprised if they traded up for a QB as well. The only way I start to believe it is if you see us trade for Darnold / Minshew and jettison Jimmy prior to the draft. Only thing that makes sense as we would then have the money available to spend on free agency. If the draft were before FA, I could see us trading up. 

Yeah, I don't see that happening. Rightfully or not, I DO think both Shanny/Lynch feel like with a few tweaks they can get back to the SB with Jimmy and aren't all that impressed with the rest of the NFC. They know the OL needs to improve and the DL needs to return to 2019 level of dominance and they will try to get those two areas right in the draft. 

Now, where it becomes interesting is if Fields drop to #12 where they don't have to trade up to get him? Do they scratch their plans or stick with the OL/DL draft strategy? I'd bet on the latter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So he's going top 4 I guess lol 

The Fields hate to me is hilarious. But when it is all said and done, I fully expect him to go top 5-6. Nothing has changed in that regard for me. What I'm curious about is how high Jones goes. A lot of smart football minds think pretty highly of Jones. 

When I say Fields likely goes top 5, I should say part of that matters if the Jets trade for Watson or not. If they do, there is a better chance that Fields drops out of the top 5. Atlanta is the wildcard here in what they do. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Fields hate to me is hilarious. But when it is all said and done, I fully expect him to go top 5-6. Nothing has changed in that regard for me. What I'm curious about is how high Jones goes. A lot of smart football minds think pretty highly of Jones. 

When I say Fields likely goes top 5, I should say part of that matters if the Jets trade for Watson or not. If they do, there is a better chance that Fields drops out of the top 5. Atlanta is the wildcard here in what they do. 

I think Mac is going higher than Lance. I think it's more likely that Lance goes in that 19-22 range than it is he goes top 10. I feel pretty good that he will be on the board when we pick and pretty sure we will pass on him regardless. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Mac is going higher than Lance. I think it's more likely that Lance goes in that 19-22 range than it is he goes top 10. I feel pretty good that he will be on the board when we pick and pretty sure we will pass on him regardless. 

Definitely can see that happening. I think it will be interesting to see what the Pats do. Will they try to get in the top 10 to draft Mac Jones? Will they go up a bit to take Lance? 

I don't think we take Lance either if he is there at 12. Fields is the one that will make interesting but him falling to 12 is highly unlikely. 

12 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely can see that happening. I think it will be interesting to see what the Pats do. Will they try to get in the top 10 to draft Mac Jones? Will they go up a bit to take Lance? 

I don't think we take Lance either if he is there at 12. Fields is the one that will make interesting but him falling to 12 is highly unlikely. 

If we could trade back into that range, pick up a 3rd and 6th this year and 1st or 2nd next to allow someone to come up and take Mac Jones, then we sit there and take Lance lower in the 1st, I would be all on board with that.

21 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

My first real look at Trask was when OU played them this past season....  Not impressed, at all. I understand he was missing all his previous targets, but much of the mistakes made were Trask's.

If you are going to draft a guy in the 2nd or third at least he needs to have a above average NFL arm(i can get taking a average arm in the first because it means he has other attributes at a really high level) or even later if you are banking on him at the least being a very solid back-up. In that day two period give me a guy that has a lower floor that has a really high sealing.

• Like 1

A guy I think is a really great roster fit for our WR room is D'Wayne Eskridge. He's got really nice varied releases playing from the outside or slot, nuclear bomb explosiveness - he averaged 14.4 yards after the catch this year - and would also return kicks and punts for us. I just think he can do a better job than Ritchie James at replacing Aiyuk or Deebo when they are tired or banged up because he is more of an offense fit and would give our special teams a little extra gas. 

We have too many holes to fill to trade up. I am wondering if we trade back for more picks. What do you guys think of them taking Kellen Mond in the late rounds? I know nothing about him. Just saw a bunch of mocks with us grabbing him. Then it would be Jimmy, Rosen, and Mond.

4 minutes ago, JIllg said:

A guy I think is a really great roster fit for our WR room is D'Wayne Eskridge. He's got really nice varied releases playing from the outside or slot, nuclear bomb explosiveness - he averaged 14.4 yards after the catch this year - and would also return kicks and punts for us. I just think he can do a better job than Ritchie James at replacing Aiyuk or Deebo when they are tired or banged up because he is more of an offense fit and would give our special teams a little extra gas. 

It's going to be interesting to see what they do as far as WR dept. Right now we have Aiyuk, Deebo, James, and Travis Benjamin. I wonder what the prognosis is on Hurd? I really had high hopes for him. Also I'm not sure how they feel about Jennings. I know Shanahan said he would've played this year if he wasn't injured. And there's also a shot Bourne comes back as well. I would think they'd draft a TE before drafting another WR.