2021 Draft Thread

John232

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

That would make sense to me. We see that time and time again too. I'll never forget the Cody Latimer thing. I remember we drafted him in like round 6 in FFMD that year....he was a nice,  surehanded prospect with limited athletic traits and meh separation ability. 

But then this weird thing happened where someone (it may have been Matt Miller) basically went all in on him all of a sudden (probably from something they heard) and then all the scouts were suddenly "re-evaluating" him and he became like this fringe first round WR type. It was freaking bizarre. I don't think anyone on the board ever understood it at the time. 

Yeah it happens every single year there is one guy that rises for no particular reason during draft seasons. I get it if someone tests way better than expected at the combine but every year there are other guys that rise for no clear reason and i am sure thats more based on what they hear and then the bigger guys with sources start putting them higher and soon the smaller sites have them rising as well. Same with mock drafts where the first version and the last sure are influenced by FA-signing but most changes are from rumors they hear and information they get from friends(sure there is a mixed bag in if its personal opinion and more team wide).

• Like 1

Interesting, very interesting.

Another person who is very high on Mac Jones.

Mond at #4 is bold but there is something there.

I already knew he wasn't too big of a fan of Lance and even mentioned he would have a hard time taking him in the first round.

Fields really may end up falling in this draft. Didn't think that would happen back in January but seems like quite a bit of people have him #4 or #5. 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I already knew he wasn't too big of a fan of Lance and even mentioned he would have a hard time taking him in the first round.

Fields really may end up falling in this draft. Didn't think that would happen back in January but seems like quite a bit of people have him #4 or #5. 

Simms is hilarious but I definitely respect his evaluations. He believes in arm talent quite a bit and that's why he was so high on Mahomes, Allen, Herbert and now Wilson. So when he has Lance at #6, that's a bit concerning. Hoping he is wrong in this case! 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Man, if people legit be that silly with Fields, I'd cut Jimmy G tomorrow and sign the rest of the crew back, trading up only if necessary. I probably would lean towards doing that anyways.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Simms is hilarious but I definitely respect his evaluations. He believes in arm talent quite a bit and that's why he was so high on Mahomes, Allen, Herbert and now Wilson. So when he has Lance at #6, that's a bit concerning. Hoping he is wrong in this case! 

I understand the Lance thing. He's not a natural thrower. I really struggle to see that part of his game. He has a lot of other key pieces, I think, but when I watch him throw I see a guy who struggles with feeling in terms of his arm 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I get the Mac thing. Someone actually put it in perspective for me the other day. I wasn't a Tua fan last year, but thought he was a first round pick. There is nothing outside of mobility that I can think of that I would prefer Tua over Jones on and would prefer Jones on several other fronts, so I don't know why I wouldn't have Mac as a first rounder either. Hard to fight that logic. Hoisted by my own petard! I wouldn't take him over the top 3, but I certainly understand taking him over Lance. 

The Wilson thing is quirky. There's a bigger gap on him for some scouts that you would think. We've heard that some NFL teams have him #1, but there are some evaluators who also just don't get the crazy love he gets. There are some things to be nervous about. The size thing both you and I have brought up. But also, there is something to be said that like 40% of his throws come out of play action as it is. Ben Solak does a lot of great film work and has written some articles about Wilson and Tice has done some evaluating as well. 

The Mond thing is click baity it feels like, and I'm a fan of Mond as a developmental guy. But there's legitimately no reason for it that I can think of that he would be higher than Fields. He often looked undraftable during senior bowl practices and his highs and lows are pretty extreme. Don't love his mechanics, but he has all the physical tools. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

LOL at Akash saying that Simms is just trying to lower Fields' stock to help Kyle. Man, niners twitter will talk themselves into anything. 

This is why I was saying the QB Collective connections was way overstated. These guys take one thing and try to dig way too deep in it. They come to their own conclusions on stuff that is not all that relevant. Like great that Shanahan spent time with a 18 year old Justin Fields, but that doesn't mean he all of a sudden is going to be the QB he wants. Allowing these lower level bloggers to break news and get in press rooms really caused a toxic environment. 

• Like 1

I'd definitely expect the draft to go: 

• Lawrence 
  • Wilson

(own tier, drop)

• Fields
  • Jones

(While I'd rather gamble on Fields in our own system, it does seem to be that NFL teams really love Mac, which I get. These will be the next two off the board, but I honestly don't know which way an NFL team would go). 

• Lance 

I've said it before with Lance, I think there's a greater chance that he goes 20+ than he does top 10. He's just so raw. Needs to sit a year, etc. I think he'll go in the first round, but I think it's more likely that the media guys are much higher on him than the NFL is from a draft perspective. 

After that, it gets interesting. I think there's a reasonable possibility that you don't see another QB go  in the second rounds, and then maybe it's Davis Mills? I'm not sure who goes first between he and Kyle Trask. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I understand the Lance thing. He's not a natural thrower. I really struggle to see that part of his game. He has a lot of other key pieces, I think, but when I watch him throw I see a guy who struggles with feeling in terms of his arm 

I think it's mechanical, for him. He has arm talent, and can make stupid good throws off platform, but other times, he's all over the place. I think it's the legendary JTO (which stands for either JT O'Sullivan or Just Turn Overs) who pointed this out, for me. His eye level changes constantly. He crouches a bit in his stance, then springs up to throw. Maybe some athletes can pull it off, but Lance does seem to be inconsistent with it. But yeah, someone who struggles throwing screen passes at times lacks natural throwing skills. I think the consensus is that he's not a first round level QB right now, but his potential is always keeping him in the conversation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I really don't see it with Mond. I watched him just a couple of times, but he didn't impress me at all.

• Like 1

I don't hate the rankings. Very rarely do pre & post draft QB rankings match anyway. And its good to see something different. 

I am very curious as to how our teams QB rankings match with his. Its very likely that the Jets will take Wilson at #2. Seeing as how they have a huge niner influence, i have to wonder if we like him too. 

Feels like i change my stances daily on the QB class lol 

Also found this. Was this Shanny? LOL

Scoff if you will (and scoff you will), but Simms has done a very good job of evaluating incoming quarterbacks. He loved Patrick Mahomes in 2017, and he had Lamar Jackson as his top prospect in 2018 until some of the people he knows in league circles shamed him into dropping Lamar behind Josh Allen.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/03/zach-wilson-over-trevor-lawrence-chris-simms-says-yes/

Edited by 49ersfan

10 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I don't hate the rankings. Very rarely do pre & post draft QB rankings match anyway. And its good to see something different. 

I am very curious as to how our teams QB rankings match with his. Its very likely that the Jets will take Wilson at #2. Seeing as how they have a huge niner influence, i have to wonder if we like him too. 

Feels like i change my stances daily on the QB class lol 

Also found this. Was this Shanny? LOL

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/03/zach-wilson-over-trevor-lawrence-chris-simms-says-yes/

I mean, I'd take Josh Allen over Jackson personally. This year, with what happened to the college season last year is so different. It's super fun to see the wide varieties of opinions on a single player. If Fields is sitting there at 12, we either need to take him, or get a monster return for that pick imo. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I do value his perspective but I can't give him credit for Jackson. The Ravens had to change their entire offense and go to more of a college-style RPO based system to compliment Jackson's skill set. He still can't beat teams with his arm, MVP and all so I'm not ready to give him credit for his prognosis there. He can't function in a pro-style system and that's a pretty bug deal. His running ability is what makes him the weapn that his is. And its gotten him a whopping one win in the playoffs thus far in his career. 

• Like 1