2021 Draft Thread

John232

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Has anyone done any research on the following TE's?

• Brevin Jordan
  • Tommy Tremble
  • Tre' McKitty
  • Nick Eubanks

Love me some Jordan and Tremble. Jordan is great with the ball in his hands but can use some polish in his routes and isn't a great blocker. Also not the best hands i would say. Way more of that modern move TE than a traditional in-line blocker.

Tremble wasn't really used as a receiver much but when he was didn't do bad i would say. He is a great blocker who is proud of his blocking. Has the athletic ability to become more dangerous in de passing game. Depending on the team he is a guy that can line up all over the place and in the backfield as a FB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

I do value his perspective but I can't give him credit for Jackson. The Ravens had to change their entire offense and go to more of a college-style RPO based system to compliment Jackson's skill set. He still can't beat teams with his arm, MVP and all so I'm not ready to give him credit for his prognosis there. He can't function in a pro-style system and that's a pretty bug deal. His running ability is what makes him the weapn that his is. And its gotten him a whopping one win in the playoffs thus far in his career. 

I honestly think the offense has hurt his development as a passer. Roman is absolutely amazing at scheming a run game and working a running QB in there but has is stuck in the past in his passing concepts. I think with guys like Jackson its good to work those running plays in and take advantage off his USP but don't make it the only thing you offense relies on. 

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I do value his perspective but I can't give him credit for Jackson. The Ravens had to change their entire offense and go to more of a college-style RPO based system to compliment Jackson's skill set. He still can't beat teams with his arm, MVP and all so I'm not ready to give him credit for his prognosis there. He can't function in a pro-style system and that's a pretty bug deal. His running ability is what makes him the weapn that his is. And its gotten him a whopping one win in the playoffs thus far in his career. 

He's been in the league three years. Has led his team to the playoffs all three years. He won an MVP in his second season. Won a playoff game this year.

I think Jackson is doing just fine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's been in the league three years. Has led his team to the playoffs all three years. He won an MVP in his second season. Won a playoff game this year.

Ferrari in the regular season and fiat in the playoffs.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Ferrari in the regular season and fiat in the playoffs.

Looked just fine against Tennessee this year. But I mean what a crime for a 23 year old to make it to the divisional round two out of three years in the league!!!! 

Not everyone can be Mahomes. Jackson is killing it and Simms was right to have him as the best or second best QB of the 2018 draft. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And he's done all that basically running the same offense he ran in college. He hasn't been asked to evolve his game nor conform to a professional scheme like his counterparts. He's still a develomental QB from the pocket imo. The majority of their offense is built off his threat as a runner in the RPO and action built off of that. Yes its gotten them some success. But until Jackson's arm and his ability in the pocket catches up with his feet they'll be a very good playoff team who can't beat the elite playoff teams.   

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looked just fine against Tennessee this year. But I mean what a crime for a 23 year old to make it to the divisional round two out of three years in the league!!!! 

Not everyone can be Mahomes. Jackson is killing it and Simms was right to have him as the best or second best QB of the 2018 draft. 

I'm a Lamar Jackson fan, he's a ton of fun to watch. I just haven't been impressed with him during the playoffs and when it really matters. He's still young and has a lot of growing to do, so the best is yet to come for him. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Love me some Jordan and Tremble. Jordan is great with the ball in his hands but can use some polish in his routes and isn't a great blocker. Also not the best hands i would say. Way more of that modern move TE than a traditional in-line blocker.

Tremble wasn't really used as a receiver much but when he was didn't do bad i would say. He is a great blocker who is proud of his blocking. Has the athletic ability to become more dangerous in de passing game. Depending on the team he is a guy that can line up all over the place and in the backfield as a FB.

I like both Jordan and Tremble, but concerned it's going to cost a 2nd to acquire either of them. I'm starting to like McKitty in the middle rounds and Eubanks in 5th or 6th.  

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

I like both Jordan and Tremble, but concerned it's going to cost a 2nd to acquire either of them. I'm starting to like McKitty in the middle rounds and Eubanks in 5th or 6th.  

Always hard to peg those mid round TE's down because there is so many different flavors. Tremble i feel can be around at our 3rd but he sure can rise to en of 2nd or beginning of the 3rd. Think he might be one of those guys where no combine can hurt him some but who knows. Guys like Hunter Long and Kenny Yeboah are in that same grouping as well i feel with Pitts and Freiermuth being 1 and 2(can argue if Pitts is a TE).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I concur. I would prefer a little more length from my boundary CBs but his skillset translates alot to what we do with our corners. I do question his strength though. Willing tackler but he got dragged quite a bit from my recollection. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Justone2 said:

Jordan I have as one of a couple guys that moves the needle as a big slot on my Shanahan 9ers board (he's spent useful picks on Hurd and Jennings, he definitely wants a big versatile dude in the slot who can block and YAC - Jordan is elite at the latter). Tremble and McKitty are the only dudes I am particularly interested in replacing Juice if I can spare the pick. Tremble I think could do it from day one with even a little upside. 

Edited by JIllg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I LOVE the idea of drafting guys whose dads played in the league, especially when they were top 5 at their position like Asante Sr was. Crazy that he has a kid who is about to be in the league. I am not 30 yet but this makes me feel old. 

Having a father who played professionally means you were exposed to the proper technique from the beginning. Look at Nicky Bosa, he is a technician. Barry bonds had a flawless swing. Klay thompson with the smooth jumper. The list goes on and on. 

Sign me up for Asante Samuel Jr. Not sure if we are picking in the right range for him though. 

6 hours ago, JIllg said:

Jordan I have as one of a couple guys that moves the needle as a big slot on my Shanahan 9ers board (he's spent useful picks on Hurd and Jennings, he definitely wants a big versatile dude in the slot who can block and YAC - Jordan is elite at the latter).

Interesting perspective with the big slot because even if we bring bourne back we also dont have a smaller slot receiver either. You can find those smaller slot guys later in the draft. Scrappy punt returner types. I would love a guy like julian edleman here. We have wes welker as our WRs coach for damn sake

I think you are right though, a big slot that can block on the edge would be a great pairing with deebo, mostert, and the rest of the outside zone game. You are absolutely right that this is a position kyle has tried to add more than once. 

So maybe we add two guys there. A big slot "TE" tweener type and a more traditional slot WR (we need a punt returner worth a damn!)

6 hours ago, JIllg said:

Tremble and McKitty are the only dudes I am particularly interested in replacing Juice if I can spare the pick. Tremble I think could do it from day one with even a little upside. 

Never heard of these guys, but now I know who to take a peek at next. 

Personally, I would like to move on from Juice for anything above the vet minimum. Cap crunch year and he is an aging player who had a down year last year. He missed a ton of blocks. There were some very bad plays. The lowlights were bad. He obviously had some good plays too, but not enough to make up for the horrendous ones IMO. I think it would be a wise move for us to move on and let him go to NYJ to help them establish a culture. Let it be a year early rather than a year late.  

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Never heard of these guys, but now I know who to take a peek at next. 

Tremble is a raw, but talented player. He was buried on the depth chart by other guys for most of his career. It seems like it was a bit of an embarrassment of riches type situation and he was the least shiniest of the shiny toys in the toy box. Anywhere else, he probably would've been a 2-3 starter.

McKitty is a yac-focused TE with the tools you want in the tool box, but they're just not sharpened yet. He would be a very interesting pairing with Kittle that could be had in the 4th-5th round.

One other name I'd like to throw out to you is Nick Eubanks from Michigan. He seems like he's a late-round guy right now and is a ball of clay. A large ball of clay - he's 6'5 260 and can move well. He's very raw and not much of an inline blocker, but he has good hands and can make things happen with the ball in his hands after the catch. He'd be a guy I'd take in the 6th and see if he could develop in a Delaine Walker type TE. More receiver over blocker.