2021 Draft Thread

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Didn't see this article posted. Breer is saying that scouts think Trey Lance would be a good fit for the Shanny offense. What do you guys think? 

Here’s my read on the situation: The Niners like Garoppolo, and maybe even more so now that they got a look at what they looked like with Nick Mullens and C.J. Beathard under center. And I think they’d be fine going forward with him in 2021. But are their eyes going to be open to a potential upgrade? I think they will be. Maybe they’ll wind up with a high pick, and a shot at someone like North Dakota State’s Trey Lance, regarded by scouts as a strong fit for the Shanahan offense. Maybe a Shanahan-connected QB like Matt Ryan or Kirk Cousins will be available. Or maybe their best option will be to stick with Garoppolo.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/11/02/49ers-injury-issues-jimmy-garoppolo-future

Serious question... What QBs aren't a good fit for the system? Lol. 

There isn't a coach in the league who makes the position easier, tbh. You just have to be reasonably accurate.

So the Josh Freeman's of the world aren't great fits, but for most quarterbacks, if you can competently throw in the intermediate areas, you're a fit

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Forge said:

Serious question... What QBs aren't a good fit for the system? Lol. 

There isn't a coach in the league who makes the position easier, tbh. You just have to be reasonably accurate.

So the Josh Freeman's of the world aren't great fits, but for most quarterbacks, if you can competently throw in the intermediate areas, you're a fit

And honestly, he's catered the offense to fit Jimmy so the intermediate areas aren't really like a prequiste. If you watch the offense in Atlanta, the passing game wasn't as schemed up between-the-hashes as it has been here. 

If we had a competent QB who could make throws to all areas of the field and wasn't so allergic to throwing deep, this offense would really be someting to behold with our run game. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I think it is similar to Georgia, these coaches want to run ball control offenses but that is just not what is working. With all the rule changes it makes it impossible to play elite defense anymore. Its been trending that way for years but now its legit impossible. And the only way to make an offense explosive is to eat live and breathe that way. That's not the way the old school coaches want to be. They were brought up ball control.

Yeah Jim is definitely an old school guy. Him and Don Brown stuck in the past. With Jim having coached Kap u would think he know how to trick up an offense...but that clearly was Greg Roman as we can see in Bal with Lamar.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, sherm said:

Yeah Jim is definitely an old school guy. Him and Don Brown stuck in the past. With Jim having coached Kap u would think he know how to trick up an offense...but that clearly was Greg Roman as we can see in Bal with Lamar.

Jim was never the QB whisperer lots of people made him up to be. He was a rah-rah speech kind of guy, an us-against-the-world type. But he was never an Xs and Os guy, and he was never a development guy. The very definition of an old school coach. It has its merits, but also its limitations. You can turn a good roster into a contender, but you can't build a program.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Jim was never the QB whisperer lots of people made him up to be. He was a rah-rah speech kind of guy, an us-against-the-world type. But he was never an Xs and Os guy, and he was never a development guy. The very definition of an old school coach. It has its merits, but also its limitations. You can turn a good roster into a contender, but you can't build a program.

I think Andrew Luck playing under him 'earned' him that moniker, although the fact is that Luck would have been amazing under pretty much anyone. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, John232 said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockDraft/view

I still don't think we go IOL in round one, pretty much ever. But if we do, it will be for Center. Which is if one of the QB's don't drop to the 49ers, I could see them just go this route and pick up Humphry. 

I don't see it either. If Richburg can go, he'll be our starter. We should know that by the end of the year. His injury is bad and doesn't have the greatest history for players (it's one of the highest career ending injuries you can have). But if he can't go, you know who's a free agent? Alex Mack. Atlanta can't afford to re-sign him and you know that we would be all over that. 

I don't think that I'll have a bigger love / hate relationship with anyone in this draft more than I do when watching Brock Purdy. I think he's probably a limited back up QB that can play up in a pinch....but there are some things that I really love when watching him. 

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't see it either. If Richburg can go, he'll be our starter. We should know that by the end of the year. His injury is bad and doesn't have the greatest history for players (it's one of the highest career ending injuries you can have). But if he can't go, you know who's a free agent? Alex Mack. Atlanta can't afford to re-sign him and you know that we would be all over that. 

So what would it take to sign Mack compared to what we're paying Richburg?

Didn't we restructure Richburg too? I think we only save like 3 mil next year by cutting him and would be carrying like 8 mil in dead cap. Man that free agency class was just awful for us in terms of cap management. Kwon, Richburg, and McKinnon all ate into our cap significantly with very minimal production. Then we traded for Dee and gave him a monster contract. We would have been able to keep DeFo if not for those signings. 

I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone. I for one would love the opportunity to bring in Zach Wilson. I haven't watched much Mac Jones yet, but he for sure will be on my list to watch. 

Miller: 49ers ‘investing serious time’ scouting QBs in next year’s draft, Peters evaluates Zach Wilson, Mac Jones
https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/142081-miller-49ers-investing-serious-resources-scouting-quarterbacks-years/

Does Garoppolo have trade value? I don't know what to think. Some writers around the web seem to think so, others disagree. Some NE fans have proposed sending a 2nd rounder for him. Some people think nobody would take on his contract. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, fellas.

5 hours ago, struby3 said:

Does Garoppolo have trade value? I don't know what to think. Some writers around the web seem to think so, others disagree. Some NE fans have proposed sending a 2nd rounder for him. Some people think nobody would take on his contract. I'm interested in hearing your thoughts, fellas.

He has some trade value... but I'm not sure how much. He WAS in the superbowl last year but anybody who has watched them play knows other than the saints game last year he was a supporting piece not the reason. Frankly if we got offered a 2nd for him I think Shanny would jump at it.