2021 Draft Thread

John232

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's way too broad for me to draw a comparison between Jones and Beathard for me. 

CJ was pretty much undraftable to me. Beathard had 0 pocket awareness with a general lackadaisical demeanor. He was extremely slow to process information on the field.  His arm was largely average. 

Trask's physical tools are fine. People criticize the arm strength, but it's enough. But I'm still waiting for him to progress to a second read and his release point is inconsistent as hell in his mechanics...he throws high a lot and he uses the middle of the field a lot, which is going to be a problem. I think Kyle will like him, but I think if we take Trask, he could drive Shanny up the wall.  I think he's also going to be a checkdown machine at the next level. I feel like there's a little Jimmy G / Derek Carr there. I'd agree that I think he's more of a day 2 guy but I would not be shocked at all if he goes in the first. 

Jones throws a damn pretty ball, I'll give him that. Especially down the field. He made a throw against Georgia downfield that I loved.  But I feel like he's working with a lot of clean pockets and I don't know how to gauge his processing speeds, recognition under pressure, etc. Nice arm, generally makes the right throw...but with all that time, I'd have major concerns if he didn't lol

Almost all of Trask's big plays are wheel routes to backs and well placed 50-50 stuff at the sidelines to his absurd complement of receivers. I like his anticipation in the quick game, but I need him to hit things like deep overs, digs, and posts with anticipation more in the NFL. Especially for us.

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

Almost all of Trask's big plays are wheel routes to backs and well placed 50-50 stuff at the sidelines to his absurd complement of receivers. I like his anticipation in the quick game, but I need him to hit things like deep overs, digs, and posts with anticipation more in the NFL. Especially for us.

The throw he made to Pitts at the end of the first half in the Ole Miss game was fun, but the problem is that I dont' think you see a lot of those routes being used at high frequency in the college game. If I were a college coach, I wouldn't be making those playcalls lol

I think he definitely has a little "I'm indestructible" vibe in his throws because of his receivers. He'll throw into double coverage to a guy like Pitts because he has no doubt or fear that Pitts is coming down with it. Reminds me a little of Manziel / Evans back in the day where Johnny was just going ot make that throw and let Evans do the hard work lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

This is the QB I'm wanting atm... assuming we don't have a shot at sunshine, fields or lance

I HATE his release. not quite as bad as lamar jackson's release, but its close. Its somewhere between lamar and kyler, but kyler has an amazing arm so that negates his funky release. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I have been watching a lot of Zach Wilson highlights, this kid is darn good. Steve Young had a pretty high opinion of him too, he just has that 'IT' factor and not many glaring weaknesses....other than top end competition.

I would normally be against drafting a QB in round 1 when we already have Jimmy, but if we could get Z. Wilson and shed 25 million from getting rid of Jimmy G, we would get a cheap/ talented/ young QB and have the cash to extend players.

On the flip side, would be nice to sure up our O-line early in the draft and give Jimmy G a chance to stay upright.

Steve Young former BYU QB and devout Mormon endorses another BYU QB that's a Mormon. Big shocker :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

I HATE his release. not quite as bad as lamar jackson's release, but its close. Its somewhere between lamar and kyler, but kyler has an amazing arm so that negates his funky release. 

Its a fair point on his release, its a 3/4 release but I dont get hung up on that too much. Ridder has a good arm, not necessarily kylers arm but he has more than enough strength and zip on the ball. Those corner routes were thrown perfectly. And while its not an over the top release it is quick.

The things I like about him is his pocket presence seems good, he doesn't get nervous which I think Kyle will appreciate.  He has a good arm, it isn't kyler or mahomes but far above just adequate. And while athleticism at the qb position has typically had its pluses and minuses its getting to be more and more a requirement. I would love to see what Kyle could do with his abilities.

Ridder might not be everyone's cup of tea thats fine but he is going higher in the draft next year than most people expect. He is going to be the guy that comes out of nowhere leading up to the draft.

tbh outside of Lawrence and maybe Wilson who I need to watch more, there just isn't a prospect that I have seen that is worthy of a high pick. Just because QB is now a need doesn't mean we should go reaching in the first or second, trying to find a franchise guy. I'm no QB guru or anything but I've been pretty accurate over the years on seeing guys in college and identifying guys who have the goods as pros. I just don't see it with most of the QBs being mentioned in this class. Now I haven't really gotten into the film of any of them so my stance could change. But I don't want us picking a QB within the first two rounds because we have a need. I think this is a draft where maybe you take a flier on a kid in the 4th or later and see what happens. A kid like Jamie Newman or a Kellen Mond makes alot of sense after the 3rd round for me personally. Too many holes elsewhere to gamble on a QB in the first two rounds who isn't talented enough to warrant it. Much rather go with a placeholder type or a reclamation vet over spending a top 20 pick on a QB as it stands right now for me.

Edited by 757-NINER

3 hours ago, StevenK said:

Correct Jamie Newman isn’t playing this year, but he will play in the senior bowl. 

I thought they cancelled the senior bowl already.

Edited by Gore Whore 21