2021 Draft Thread

John232

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He always has one "gotcha" in his rankings it seems like. I think he does final rankings closer to the draft, or this year he is just getting them out of the way earlier.

The rankings last year are interesting because he's got man erasers, but a guy like diggs was almost always going to be zone heavy specific as a player. 

As for newsome, could be an issue with stiffness? He's a bit linear at times. It's all about technique

Newsome has nice feet though and is able to play both press and off man. He's a good player but does have some injury history I believe? I don't know, I haven't seen everyone yet but really liked his tape. I think this is a good class for corners.

Yeah, Diggs is built for the cover 3 scheme. He flashed his rookie season though, and was clearly a top 60 prospect. 

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Nice! I was a Henderson guy myself. 

He's not looking too bad with those rankings but obviously too early to tell.

I actually really respect how he judges what he sees on tape and trusts it even if it is completely the opposite of the rest of the draft world. I bet he got KILLED for having Okudah at #3 last year, but that may not look too bad after next season. 

Really curious to hear why he doesn't have Horn or Newsome in his top 5. 

Yeah, we all get caught up in a bunch of similar prospect rankings as fans. Reality is teams have different big boards based on scheme, skillset, character & just plain old difference of opinion of what they see on tape. And then we get shocked when teams evaluate based off their own boards instead of a composite of Kiper/McShay/Jeremiah etc

Wasn't Jerry Jones big board leaked a few years ago. I remember the Cowboys had some players with a 3rd round grade go in the 1st, vice-versa, etc. 

Assuming we're out of the QB market, I would say CB is probably our biggest need as Moseley & Verrett are solid but have question marks. But the FO's tendency is to not use premium resources in the Secondary. Will be interesting to see because the need & value seem to match up with a CB at 12.

We could also trade down if a QB is available - WFT would be a good trade down spot. Get a couple of extra picks and get Horn or whoever at #19?

12 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

A couple of guys I'm really starting to warm up to:

• Marlon Williams, WR UCF - Built like Deebo, but more of a natural receiver. Big slot guy with punishing YAC ability. Maybe a 5th rounder?
  • Jaelon Darden, WR North Texas - Electrifying YAC ability out of the slot, I mean, WOW.... Explosive returner as well. Maybe my new favorite slot WR. He's a manufactured touch guy as well, so fits very well into our offense. I'd target him in the 4th maybe? 
  • Trill Williams, CB Syracuse - Big, elite athlete with good coverage ability. Still learning more about him but I like his game and would target him in the 3rd round.
  • Olaijah Griffin, CB USC - Tall and skinny, but seems to be a balanced coverer between man and zone. Outside guy. 4th or 5th round target.

I was big on Darden when he was a 5th / 6th round prospect. I've seen him get pushed up into the 4th a lot and I think that removes a good chunk of the value for me.  I get the feeling that there are prospects I will like more on the board if he gets drafted that high and there are guys I would like just as much who are available later on. He's basically Darnell Mooney (not saying that as a bad thing), but I don't like that they took away his return duties. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was looking him up the other day to see if he was entering the draft or not. I know he abused Fresno State in 2019 and had been on my radar ever since. Then I don't think he played last season so I wasn't sure what he was going to do.

Definitely wouldn't mind him in the later rounds. Has some Vincent Jackson in him. 

He had a truly terrible pro day. The gross 3 cone time I don't care about - he's gonna run fades, back shoulder fades, seams, slants, and screens for me. But the 40 time was disconcerting. I don't see him as a full wide receiver - I want him as a move tight end - and he showed up both light and slow. But he outgraded JaMarr Chase against man coverage by PFF in 2019. They have real issues when it comes to team reliant grading - I hate the way they deal with linebackers and nickels as they don't do enough to account for scheme or the effect forcing a runner to cut back has over just raw not missing tackles numbers (it reminds me of baseball obsessing about errors as a fielder rather than understanding that guys that can make more plays will end up having more difficult plays to make) - but they do grade every play and are good at highlighting one on one matchups. He was dang close to Kyle Pitts land if you man covered him. He broke a ton of tackles. Both qualities have a high NFL success correlation. He's been filling out his giant body - he was 175 pounds coming out of high school. I just love the body control when the ball is in the air and the hands catching. And the blocking - I've seen a lot of big guys that just don't do it as well. And that is about far too many words about a borderline draftable kind of prospect. XD

2 minutes ago, JIllg said:

He had a truly terrible pro day. The gross 3 cone time I don't care about - he's gonna run fades, back shoulder fades, seams, slants, and screens for me. But the 40 time was disconcerting. I don't see him as a full wide receiver - I want him as a move tight end - and he showed up both light and slow. But he outgraded JaMarr Chase against man coverage by PFF in 2019. They have real issues when it comes to team reliant grading - I hate the way they deal with linebackers and nickels as they don't do enough to account for scheme or the effect forcing a runner to cut back has over just raw not missing tackles numbers (it reminds me of baseball obsessing about errors as a fielder rather than understanding that guys that can make more plays will end up having more difficult plays to make) - but they do grade every play and are good at highlighting one on one matchups. He was dang close to Kyle Pitts land if you man covered him. He broke a ton of tackles. Both qualities have a high NFL success correlation. He's been filling out his giant body - he was 175 pounds coming out of high school. I just love the body control when the ball is in the air and the hands catching. And the blocking - I've seen a lot of big guys that just don't do it as well. And that is about far too many words about a borderline draftable kind of prospect. XD

I really don't care about his 40 time. I know his game and what he is good at. You take a late shot at him, just like you should have with Tim Patrick. Dude can get down the field and win jump balls like nothing. Watching that game I just kept thinking about Vincent Jackson. Will he be that good? Likely not, but still they win the same way. 

You can just this guy in the big slot or out wide, especially in the RZ. Would love to take a shot at him in the later rounds. 

I think a guy like Avery Williams should be on the radar for us as a returner. Can maybe develop in a usable slot corner but his return skills should translate to the NFL i feel. And even if his returning doesn't he is still a guy you can put at gunner and be happy with. Also has some punt blocks too.

Edited by Justone2
  • Like 1

Really hard to trust a lot of the numbers coming out this year. I'm basically just removing all numbers from the earlier combine, but Parsons / Oweh just went from low 4.4's to being updated to mid 4.3's. I'm just out on the speed times or adding .5 to every reported time. 

21 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I think a guy like Avery Williams should be on the radar for us as a returner. Can maybe develop in a usable slot corner but his return skills should translate to the NFL i feel. And even if his returning doesn't he is still a guy you can put at gunner and be happy with. Also has some punt blocks too.

He's 100% worth a pick in the last couple of rounds for his special teams contributions alone. 

Shaka Toney's numbers are going to get overlooked because of Oweh and Parsons, but make no mistake, these are very nice numbers if you're just using them all as a point of comparison against one another

Oweh has always been known as a freak, but those numbers for Toney are very good if we wanted to use him as a pass rusher in the wide 9. Excellent choice for us specifically as a day 3 situational pass rusher. His numbers are nearly identical to Ebukam's testing numbers, to be honest lol 

Pro Day Date: 3/28/2017
40 Yard Dash: 4.50 seconds
40 Yard (MPH): 18.18 (MPH)
20 Yard Split: 2.57 seconds
10 Yard Split: 1.53 seconds
Bench Press: (N/A) reps (225 lb)
Vertical Leap: 39.0 inches
Height: 73.88 inches
Weight: 240 lbs
Broad Jump: 130 inches
Hand Size: 9.63 inches
Arm Length: 32.38 inches
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.34 seconds
Three Cone: 7.07 seconds

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

Would say he is way more shifty than pure long speed. Think his three cone and shuttles should be better than average.

Shiftiness over long speed confirmed.

A little context here:

His 6.66 3-cone would make him tied for #1 overall at the 2020 combine and #4 overall in 2019.

His 3.98 shuttle would make him #2 overall in 2019 and #2 overall in 2020.

The fastest 10-yard dash on record is Tyreek Hill's 1.50. Darden has a 1.56. 

The fastest 20-yard dash on record is Kevin Kasper's 3.73 in 2001. Darden blows that out of the water.

Only 5 people had a sub 6.7 3-cone and sub 4 shuttle in the past 4 years. Despite his average 40 time, his movement skills are rare. 

Edited by NinerNation21