2021 Draft Thread

John232

2 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The sense I'm getting now since really digging into these QBs is that missing out on Fields is going to hurt way more than missing out on Jones. 

I wouldn't be the least bit hurt to miss out on Jones. Assuming Trevor and Wilson go 1/2 there is no one else I want outside of Fields at #3. 

• Like 2

I dont know how yall feel about which QB direction to go with the 3rd overall pick. Here is a few thoughts of mine:

1) Im a personal fan of Fields and think its a no brainer for the Niners to take him. Lawrence will go 1st overall and Wilson will go 2nd overall. If I had to guess which QBs more likely to be a bust its Jones and I wouldnt be shocked if Lance be a bust too although with him it can go either way. I can see him succeeding as well. Im really confident though that Jones wont live up to where he will get drafted in the 1st round. Fields is just a stud. I remember him being at Georgia and my best friend kept telling him how great he is before I even saw him take a snap. I know he left Georgia but then he goes to Ohio State and was even better. I personally think Fields will be better than Wilson.

2) I forgot who brought this up the other day on tv but in regards to Kyle picking a QB, the question is out on that. We know that he is great at making a QB look really good once he is in his system but picking the right QB again thats the question. Years ago the Niners couldve had Mahomes or Watson but passed on them both and took Thomas which didnt live up to anything. From what I heard Kyle wanted to go after Cousins in FA but when he couldnt get him they ended up trading for Jimmy G. Even last offseason they had a strong chance to get Brady but instead stuck with Jimmy G. I thought honestly they shouldve went all in on Watson. Yes the Watson situation is complicated but its rare that a top 3 talent this young is essentially available and so you do all you can to get him. Ill give the Niners a pass though for not going all in on Watson because again its complicated but again passing on Mahomes and Watson in the draft and then not really going all in on Brady last offseason is a bad look on Kyle and Lynch in terms of picking the right QB.

3) The trend in recent history is teams trading into the top 3 for a QB isnt good. Goff (Rams), Wentz (Eagles), Trubisky (Bears), and Darnold (Jets). Goff and Wentz both got paid but then got traded to a new team. Trubisky wasnt resigned and now is a backup on a new team. Darnold will get traded when the Jets draft a QB with their 2nd overall pick. I know some people dont believe in trends but I do. I feel like that trend can be broken if the Niners take the right QB and for me that will be Fields. If they take Lance or especially Jones that trend will continue because again I think Lance could go either way but I think Jones will be a bust. He wont last beyond his rookie contract. All the things people said about Goff not being mobile and just a product of a system will be said about Jones. Not saying Jones is bad because he had to be doing something right to even be considered as a 1st round pick let alone a potential top 5 pick. I remember nobody thought Ryan shouldve been the 4th overall pick coming out of BC but the Falcons took him and he has made it work. Kyle even made him an MVP and came so close to winning a Superbowl. So Im not saying its impossible and that it wont work. Im just saying Bama also made Jones look great with all 5 stars they have on their offense. I cant name the last Bama QB that was bad in college. So I just think there is a certain ceiling for Jones but Fields ceiling will be scary especially with Kyle. Lance if he succeeds his ceiling will be scary with Kyle. Jones I can see being a better Jimmy G with Kyle which is good because he will stay more healthy but the Niners didnt give up the farm to just get a potential good QB 3rd overall. Thats just my thoughts. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I wouldn't be the least bit hurt to miss out on Jones. Assuming Trevor and Wilson go 1/2 there is no one else I want outside of Fields at #3. 

I'm starting to hitch myself to that wagon as well. I feel like if Jones hits, he's going to be in the mold of Derek Carr or Kirk Cousins. Those are good QBs that you can win with, but I feel like if Fields hits, he's closer to a more accurate Cam Newton or Deshaun Watson.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I dont know how yall feel about which QB direction to go with the 3rd overall pick. Here is a few thoughts of mine:

1) Im a personal fan of Fields and think its a no brainer for the Niners to take him. Lawrence will go 1st overall and Wilson will go 2nd overall. If I had to guess which QBs more likely to be a bust its Jones and I wouldnt be shocked if Lance be a bust too although with him it can go either way. I can see him succeeding as well. Im really confident though that Jones wont live up to where he will get drafted in the 1st round. Fields is just a stud. I remember him being at Georgia and my best friend kept telling him how great he is before I even saw him take a snap. I know he left Georgia but then he goes to Ohio State and was even better. I personally think Fields will be better than Wilson.

2) I forgot who brought this up the other day on tv but in regards to Kyle picking a QB, the question is out on that. We know that he is great at making a QB look really good once he is in his system but picking the right QB again thats the question. Years ago the Niners couldve had Mahomes or Watson but passed on them both and took Thomas which didnt live up to anything. From what I heard Kyle wanted to go after Cousins in FA but when he couldnt get him they ended up trading for Jimmy G. Even last offseason they had a strong chance to get Brady but instead stuck with Jimmy G. I thought honestly they shouldve went all in on Watson. Yes the Watson situation is complicated but its rare that a top 3 talent this young is essentially available and so you do all you can to get him. Ill give the Niners a pass though for not going all in on Watson because again its complicated but again passing on Mahomes and Watson in the draft and then not really going all in on Brady last offseason is a bad look on Kyle and Lynch in terms of picking the right QB.

3) The trend in recent history is teams trading into the top 3 for a QB isnt good. Goff (Rams), Wentz (Eagles), Trubisky (Bears), and Darnold (Jets). Goff and Wentz both got paid but then got traded to a new team. Trubisky wasnt resigned and now is a backup on a new team. Darnold will get traded when the Jets draft a QB with their 2nd overall pick. I know some people dont believe in trends but I do. I feel like that trend can be broken if the Niners take the right QB and for me that will be Fields. If they take Lance or especially Jones that trend will continue because again I think Lance could go either way but I think Jones will be a bust. He wont last beyond his rookie contract. All the things people said about Goff not being mobile and just a product of a system will be said about Jones. Not saying Jones is bad because he had to be doing something right to even be considered as a 1st round pick let alone a potential top 5 pick. I remember nobody thought Ryan shouldve been the 4th overall pick coming out of BC but the Falcons took him and he has made it work. Kyle even made him an MVP and came so close to winning a Superbowl. So Im not saying its impossible and that it wont work. Im just saying Bama also made Jones look great with all 5 stars they have on their offense. I cant name the last Bama QB that was bad in college. So I just think there is a certain ceiling for Jones but Fields ceiling will be scary especially with Kyle. Lance if he succeeds his ceiling will be scary with Kyle. Jones I can see being a better Jimmy G with Kyle which is good because he will stay more healthy but the Niners didnt give up the farm to just get a potential good QB 3rd overall. Thats just my thoughts. 

I'm with you. I've been in on Fields since the day we traded for the #3 pick. I would be disappointed with anyone else. Technically, the bears were already in the top 3 and traded up to #2 for Trubisky, but I do understand your stance. I think Fields is a no-brainer and I really hope we don't screw it up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

LOLOL Me too Robert, me too 

What was so impressive about that throw? Not like Shanahan wants his QBs rolling out and making passes like that. He prefers them to just stand in the middle of the pocket every single play....Or at least that's what I was told.....

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What was so impressive about that throw? Not like Shanahan wants his QBs rolling out and making passes like that. He prefers them to just stand in the middle of the pocket every single play....Or at least that's what I was told.....

If you took what i have said af that you are wrong. I do think Shanahan wants a QB that can beat you from the pocket first and foremost which Fields can do if he can fasten up his processing(which with experience with his receivers is surely possible but if he doesn't he is a read and run QB which i doubt is what Shanahan wants).

11 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

If you took what i have said af that you are wrong. I do think Shanahan wants a QB that can beat you from the pocket first and foremost which Fields can do if he can fasten up his processing(which with experience with his receivers is surely possible but if he doesn't he is a read and run QB which i doubt is what Shanahan wants).

Plus when you look at every single QB Shanahan has ever had only 2 are more comparable to Fields than Jones and those are RGIII and Manziel both of which from most accounts where more on ownership than his input. I think Fields is a better passer than those two and if you give up what we have to pick 3 i think you take a shot at someone like Fields over a guy like Jones. 

43 minutes ago, Forge said:

We can be best buds. You were always on the field wagon and just happened to get trevor

I was indeed. 

The Niners are where I'd most like to see him end up. So I hope this smoke of Lance/Mac ends up being false.

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He just threw an bomb 65-70 yards on a dime...

That isn't normal.

23 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Oh no, this is about what Maiocco wrote today.

8 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He just threw an bomb 65-70 yards on a dime...

That isn't normal.

Trust me I know. I'm mocking Maiocco who wrote that Shanahan does call for his QBs to make plays outside the pocket or run so that's why he thinks the pick will be Jones. I'm sure that has nothing to do with Shanahan coaching guys like Jimmy, Cousins, Schaub and Ryan lol.

• Like 2

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Oh no, this is about what Maiocco wrote today.

Trust me I know. I'm mocking Maiocco who wrote that Shanahan does call for his QBs to make plays outside the pocket or run so that's why he thinks the pick will be Jones. I'm sure that has nothing to do with Shanahan coaching guys like Jimmy, Cousins, Schaub and Ryan lol.

Ahhh, I was gonna say...

Just now, .Buzz said:

Ahhh, I was gonna say...

And while there is no doubt Fields and Lance have immense upside with their ability to make plays out of the pocket, they also subject themselves to more risks because of their running skills.

My belief is that Shanahan does not want to take on additional risks. He wants a quarterback who executes the plan.

And Shanahan’s plan never calls for the quarterback to bust out of the pocket and run with the ball.

Dude thinks making plays out of the pocket is a bad thing since it subjects them to more risks and Shanahan doesn't call plays for QBs to run outside of the pocket...Like, which QBs minus RG3 that Shanahan has coached could even do that? You are going to call for QB runs with Jimmy? And which one of those guys are going to be able to get outside of the pocket and make plays? Such a dumb thing to say. 

• Like 1