Rodjahs12

Matt LaFleur Appreciation Thread

fantastic. i regret calling him a Walmart Kyle Shanahan. he's clearly one of the best young coaches in the game, and we're lucky to have him

seriously, how many wide open players have we seen through 4 games? so many. this young man has it going

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

he did take over a super bowl winning team

Repeating success is harder than creating it initially IMO

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Repeating success is harder than creating it initially IMO

That SF team had shown they were capable of repeating success.  They had done so for the majority of the decade preceding his ascension to HC

What I appreciate most is MLF’s ability to make in-game adjustments.  Never thought I’d see or appreciate this concept as a fan of the GB Packers, at least not in my lifetime anyways.

• Like 1

MLF's game sense is excellent, especially for a young coach.  Excellent job of using the run to control Time of Possession and set-up later passing plays.  Such a good mix of left and right, inside/wide zone, jet motion, whoops no that was a jet sweep there goes Tyler Ervin for a steady 7 yards like always.  Feels very Shanahan like in how they break teams with that constant barrage of run/play action short crossers. 

17 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

What I appreciate most is MLF’s ability to make in-game adjustments.  Never thought I’d see or appreciate this concept as a fan of the GB Packers, at least not in my lifetime anyways.

You mean you don't enjoy banging your head against a wall?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

MLF's game sense is excellent, especially for a young coach.  Excellent job of using the run to control Time of Possession and set-up later passing plays.  Such a good mix of left and right, inside/wide zone, jet motion, whoops no that was a jet sweep there goes Tyler Ervin for a steady 7 yards like always.  Feels very Shanahan like in how they break teams with that constant barrage of run/play action short crossers. 

the frequency of motion to get the D moving and help indicate man vs zone is refreshing.  There is a lot of "window dressing" on plays that the D needs to be aware of that + locate the ball.  

It plays into Rodgers excellent ability to manipulate the football on play fakes and misdirection.

Bunch formations that create confusion on outside and inside releasing in different directions on successive plays.   Plays seem to have a nice build off each other.   

Will be interesting to see what comes in the latter part of the season off some of the plays that are already on tape.

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

You mean you don't enjoy banging your head against a wall?

🤣 nope. I love when defenses try and lock down Jones, then whoooooppppp, there go our tight ends!  Lock in on Davante Adams?  Suuuurrrreeee, here’s some Jones out of the backfield on a sideline flair for 20 yards.  MLF is playing 3-D chess with these fools.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MrBobGray said:

Agree.  Totally.

To expand on it, I like how he isn't afraid to go for the jugular.  Third down late in the game and holding a lead?  Yah, it looks like a run to kill clock or timeouts, but whoops, here comes a bootleg that is wide open.  Game over.  He seems to save stuff like this for later in the game when it matters most.

Yah, his gameplans have been amazing.  I've no doubt that he will incorporate more stuff into the offense during these two weeks.

Another thing I admire is his in game attitude adjustments.  I thought we came out flat against the Falcons in the second half.  They came out fired up.  That tone quickly changed and we regained control of the game.  I love how he isn't afraid to get in Pettine's face.  I feel that Pettine needs that, and so do the players.

He also remains very calm during the chaos.  

I knew nothing of the guy when he was hired.  But dang, everything he's done has been impressive.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gopher Trace said:

**** yeah LaFleur, you SHOW that sorry McCarthy how to coach!!! 😎

To be fair to Mac, early on he did some pretty innovative stuff, too.  

Remember this offseason when we were harping on MLF for wanting to run the ball like 60% of the time.  Didn't happen, won't happen until the game is in hand.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, incognito_man said:

seifert crushed it...holy geez, I never fully realized his start in san fran...that's legendary

124 total wins, .648 RS win pct, 10-5 playoff record, 2 SBs, never gonna sniff the HoF.