Mayhew/Caldwell vs Quinn/Caldwell

Karnage84

Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to see how Quinn has done compared to his predecessor with the same HC. 

2014 - 11-5

GM: Mayhew

HC: Caldwell

OFFENSE

Ovr: 22nd

Pass Yds: 12th

Pass TDs: 17th

Rush Yds: 28th

Rush TDs: 19th

Int's: 10th

TO's: 9th

DEFENSE w/Suh

Ovr: 3rd

Pass Yds: 13th

Pass TDs: 11th

Rush Yds: 1st

Rush TDs: 5th

Int's: 3-T

Turnovers: 8th

2015 - 7-9

GM: Mayhew

OFFENSE

Ovr: 18th

Pass Yds: 9th

Pass TDs: 8th

Rush Yds: 32nd

Rush TDs: 25th

Int's: 19th

TO's: 19th

DEFENSE - No Suh

Ovr: 23rd

Pass Yds: 15th

Pass TDs: 18th

Rush Yds: 19th

Rush TDs: 30th

Int's: 27th

Turnovers: 25th

2016 - 9-7

GM: Quinn

OFFENSE

Ovr: 20th

Pass Yds: 11th

Pass TDs: 16th

Rush Yds: 30th

Rush TDs: 26th

Int's: 10th

TO's: 5th

DEFENSE 

Ovr: 13th

Pass Yds: 19th

Pass TDs: 31st

Rush Yds: 18th

Rush TDs: 2nd

Int's: 23rd

Turnovers: 28th

2017 - 9-7

GM: Quinn

OFFENSE

Ovr: 7th

Pass Yds: 6th

Pass TDs: 5th

Rush Yds: 32nd

Rush TDs: 23rd

Int's: 9th

TO's: 18th

DEFENSE 

Ovr: 21st

Pass Yds: 27th

Pass TDs: 10th

Rush Yds: 18th

Rush TDs: 31st

Int's: 5th

Turnovers: 3rd

• Like 1

AVG. of Mayhew (Quinn)

Record: 18-14, 0.5625 (18-14, 0.5625)

Division Rk/Playoffs: 2.5, 1 WC-L (2, 1 WC-L)

OFFENSE

Ovr: 20th (13.5th)

Pass Yds: 10.5th (8.5th)

Pass TDs: 12.5th (10.5th)

Rush Yds: 30th (31st)

Rush TDs: 22nd (24.5th)

Int's: 14.5th (9.5th)

TO's: 14th (11.5th)

DEFENSE

Ovr: 13th (17th)

Pass Yds: 14th (23rd)

Pass TDs: 14.5th (20.5th)

Rush Yds: 10th (18th)

Rush TDs: 17.5th (16.5th)

Int's: 15th (14th)

Turnovers: 16.5th (15.5th)

Note: Mayhew's numbers include the 2014 season with Suh (3rd overall defense) and the 2015 season without him (23rd overall). It does skew things a bit but it is what it is over each 2 year period. 

• Like 1

DRAFT

Mayhew (2014/2015)

15 Picks

741 Games Played

405 Games Started

= 54.6% Games Started

49.4 games/pick

27 starts/pick

Quinn (2016/2017)

19 Picks

645 Games Played

293 Games Started

= 45.4% Games Started

33.94 games/pick

15.4 games started/pick

• Like 1

10 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

That’s hard for my old eyes to read. Interesting comparisons.

I'm with you.  Not sure there is a lot of useful determinations you can make from this aside from the fact that Mayhew drafted better and had a better record with his picks.  Would be interesting to get the total PFF scores for all of their picks and compare.  

22 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm with you.  Not sure there is a lot of useful determinations you can make from this aside from the fact that Mayhew drafted better and had a better record with his picks.  Would be interesting to get the total PFF scores for all of their picks and compare.  

Did you know PFF has Okudah as the lowest CB in the league?

How do you feel about that? Over-reaction? Doesn't matter? Too early?

Edited by SimbaWho

Just now, SimbaWho said:

How do you feel about that?

Sounds about right based on what I have seen, albeit that hasnt been much.   He has been abused most of the year.  I still have hope for him but CB is hard to transition to the league especially with no pass rush.  He has given up 75% completions against him, he has missed a few tackles and took some bad angles on others.  Right now he is an easy target for QBs to pick on, which is why he only saw half of the snaps against New Orleans.  

5 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

How do you feel about that? Over-reaction? Doesn't matter? Too early?

I know you weren't asking me, but I think it's a complete overreaction. The guy went up against Davante Adams and DeAndre Hopkins to start his career, and had some decent moments against Hopkins. Not only that, but he's playing on a defense that can't pressure the QB whatsoever, and he's playing with a lot of cushion to prevent the big play. He has all of the tools. There's no concern.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway
  • Like 1

What's worrying me the most... Is that Amani Oruwariye is better than him. Noticeably better. A 5th round pick just last year is noticeably better than a 3rd overall pick at CB. A pick at 3rd overall for a CB isn't suppose to look like what we've seen. They're suppose to come in and... well be good. Didn't have to be great either but can't look like trash... Or you don't take a CB at 3. 

It's nothing really against Okudah, I mean I was a little worried he was over-hyped playing on a stacked defense but I'm really upset with coaches/management for forcing good players out, drafting replacements and them not even coming close to what we were sold. An ignoring or signing bad players for our pass rush.

The last two/three off-seasons have been mind numbing for me. 

I mean it's just not hard to build a team to me. QB, Build both lines, Weapons, fill the spare parts in with the extra picks/cap/pieces you have to use. These guys have been doing it *** backwards to me with CB's/TE's/LB's/RB's and I just can't support it. I just don't believe teams are built that way. I've been questioning these guys right along since the Patricia hire(cause he wasn't proven) and really went off the rails when they selected Hock at 8. Since then I've just been full blown cheerleading them to lose lose lose so we can get better, or better guys in here to run things. 

I mean honestly, it's the most ridiculous thing ever that I could form my own brain-trust of TL/Diehard/Slim and us four could literally run the Lions scouting/player personnel department better than the actual Lions have with, quote on quote, "real professional." 😒

Edited by SimbaWho
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

What's worrying me the most... Is that Amani Oruwariye is better than him. Noticeably better. A 5th round pick just last year is noticeably better than a 3rd overall pick at CB. A pick at 3rd overall for a CB isn't suppose to look like what we've seen. They're suppose to come in and... well be good. Didn't have to be great either but can't look like trash... Or you don't take a CB at 3. 

It's nothing really against Okudah, I mean I was a little worried he was over-hyped playing on a stacked defense but I'm really upset with coaches/management for forcing good players out, drafting replacements and them not even coming close to what we were sold. An ignoring or signing bad players for our pass rush.

That doesn't really worry me at all. Not only was Oruwariye a pretty good prospect, and some felt should've been taken a lot higher, but he already has a year under his belt, and wasn't going against Davante Adams and DeAndre Hopkins.

1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm working on this but it's a bit of an overall effort. Looking at what the draft class PFF score was with the Lions and with other teams. Almost done Mayhew's classes.

I’m not going to judge a rookie CB who entered the league in a pandemic year. Training camp was a mess, practices weren’t as plentiful.

The kid was short changed on normal preparation and has been thrown to the wolves because of injuries and a defence that doesn’t get enough pressure on the QB.

Hes been expected to play like a number 1 corner on a defence that’s an absolute mess.

• Like 2