Hypothetical: Is this realistic or too fantastical?

diamondbull424

Hypothetical  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Ravens trade All Pro Ronnie Stanley to WFT for Montez Sweat + 2021 2nd + 2022 2nd?

• Fantastical, would never happen... WFT/Ravens would be giving away too much (explain).
    • Realistic, could see this happening with a slight adjustment in favor of the WFT/Ravens (explain).
    • Realistic, this is on point and makes sense for both sides. But best to wait until the season is over because (explain).

So I’ve been continuously thinking about how this team might improve and reach the level requisite of beating the Chiefs. I’ve also been thinking about how I view Ronnie Stanley in that CJ Mosley camp of fringe franchise level player, where if he accepts a great deal, I’d want him back, but if he doesn’t than I’m “comfortable” with letting him move on. Now he’s more valuable than Mosley, he’s a young franchise quality LT with premier pass blocking ability. He’s also shown the ability to erase elite pass rushers over the last few years regardless of if Lamar of Flacco was quarterbacking.

I definitely feel as though, we’d be getting the short end of this proposed deal (straight up), but if the WFT came to the Ravens (or vice versa) regarding these parameters, is this something you would consider? What would it take in “sweetening” the deal to make it “acceptable” for both parties in your opinion? Is there any conceivable way it would be acceptable in your eyes?

Things working against this: The Ravens had a shot to select Sweat in the 2019 NFL draft, yet passed on him for Hollywood Brown to provide Lamar help, yet they would be trading away help for Lamar to upgrade the defense? The Texans traded two late 1st round picks and some change for An inferior LT, Sweat was only a late 1st round pick. Sweat has an enlarged heart that was picked up at the combine and had him drop from potential top 10 pick to bottom 10 pick of the 1st round.

Things working for the deal: The WFT has to be desperate to protect their young, less mobile QB, whether its Haskins or some other QB brought in via the upcoming draft. Stanley’s skill set will be even more crucial with a less mobile QB. Stanley has less years left on his deal than when the Texans traded for Laremy Tunsil and thus might not be quite as valuable. The Ravens have went to the Miss St well before with taking Pernell McPhee back in 2011 as well as taking Tyre Philips in the 2020 draft. Sweat is still young, has great potential, and will have 3-4 years left of cost control ability (I doubt we do it in season, but what if Brown Jr continues to improve at LT), which would work well considering Humphrey, Lamar, etc. will/are getting paid.

If I had to estimate fair value, I might speculate Ronnie Stanley + High 2nd + 2022 2nd Round pick, thoughts? Is this a dumb idea or is there something here. What is your impression on Montez Sweat? Do you envision him breaking out and becoming a premier pass rush option? Or do you find him and his potential to be overrated? Especially considering he’s only a year younger than Tyus Bowser. Would you prefer we signed Stanley and simply sought to address the edge position in the draft? What 2021 prospects have you seen that you feel have caught your eye and might realistically be available late in the 1st round?

Edited by diamondbull424
Heart condition worth noting

Just off the top, I wouldn't be comfortable with that return. Don't think the value is there. Sweat is an ascending player, but him and two 2nds just doesn't cut it for me.

I do think this is right mindset though. Push for a strong player/pick combo package. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Just off the top, I wouldn't be comfortable with that return. Don't think the value is there. Sweat is an ascending player, but him and two 2nds just doesn't cut it for me.

I do think this is right mindset though. Push for a strong player/pick combo package. 

I was thinking the exact same thing.

• Like 1