2 more Titans test positive for covid - possible forfeit

3rivers

16 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I understand taking draft picks away.

However, it’s moronic to start screwing over teams by having them forfeit games.

8 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Forfeiture screws so many teams 

This. The people suggesting forfeiture early on in this thread were overreacting purely on emotion. I stand firm it’s a horrible suggestion and take. You wanna take a 3rd Round Pick from the Titans, sure, I have no issue, but having them forfeit screws over more teams than the Titans. It screws over the Pats, Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers, etc. 

Just a horrible, emotional take, without letting their emotions calm down first. 

I gotta say, in response to the "competitive fairness" comments on here: we're talking about a virus that's already killed at least a million people worldwide and 200,000 Americans. This is a little bit more serious than what NFL teams make the playoffs this year.

• Like 5

Every league that didn't have a bubble faced this issue. MLS, Baseball, College Football and now NFL.

Titans were it. 

Players were working out together all through the off-season when they technically shouldn't have.  Do I think it was smart, naw it wasn't. But all those players were "cleared" through testing and they thought they were good. 
Incubation period should be the new phrase for the NFL. 
A clean test on Monday doesn't mean it will be clean on Thursday or even the next Monday.  

NFL is adjusting and you see this with their more strict guidelines. 

This is bigger than "my team."  It is a league thing and likely the wake up call the NFL needed. 

If you want a W  just so "your team" can move on up in the standards. Congrats. I understand. 

However, the standard set with that action is going to open up a box of mess you aren't ready to deal with.

I'll say again, what happens when/if the Patriots get another positive in the morning? You think the NFL is gonna say ok, they good. Or will they look at the situation in Tennessee and shut it down? When they shut it down, can that game be moved? When it's moved what other team will be effected? Should they just get a loss because they knowingly played a game with possibly infected players due to the incubation period of the virus. 

What if down the road when other players test positive, and they will. The NFL just says ok, season over we are GIVING the division titles to these teams, congrats and based on records these 2 teams play in the now conference championship with Super Bowl immediately following the next week and putting those teams in a bubble.  Everyone else, thanks for playing in 2020. Not fair but hey best we can do. 

That would be totally empty and terrible. 
Awarding wins or losses should be the last thing the league wants to do. It would cheapen any championship. 

If a team has to roll out Johnny Manziel at QB and Trent Richardson at RB because they acted reckless with their actions, then that is on them. 
Reschedule, push games back or make them play. 

Again NFL was arrogant to think nothing would happen. Every league without a bubble had positive tests and delays, they should have built a schedule that accounted for that or push forward playing on schedule. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rich homie said:

I gotta say, in response to the "competitive fairness" comments on here: we're talking about a virus that's already killed at least a million people worldwide and 200,000 Americans. This is a little bit more serious than what NFL teams make the playoffs this year.

So why play a season in that case? If you play the season, you try to make it  as competitive and normal as possible. If its impossible to do it, then just cancel it outright. But playing through it in the way it is being played through, would make it pointless.

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This. The people suggesting forfeiture early on in this thread were overreacting purely on emotion. I stand firm it’s a horrible suggestion and take. You wanna take a 3rd Round Pick from the Titans, sure, I have no issue, but having them forfeit screws over more teams than the Titans. It screws over the Pats, Chiefs, Ravens, Steelers, etc. 

Just a horrible, emotional take, without letting their emotions calm down first. 

You act like it is the Bills and NFL fault for this....This is a TITANS issue and had they followed the guidelines like the other 31 teams this wouldnt be an issue.....A 3rd round pick is garbage, you get a depth player at that but your putting at risk an entire NFL season. This isn't deflategate, taping practices, pumping fake noise in to the crowd, this is a virus that is contagious and had a set guideline to follow and the front office and coaching staff clearly did not take these rules seriously or they wouldnt put the Bills and NFL in this situation. It is the Titans to blame and if KC, Ravens, Pats, Steelers, etc want to complain about it then get on the darn phone and start yelling at the clowns who allowed this to happen.

NFL execs are not the issue here its all on Titans for not following the strict guidelines that both the NFL and NFLPA agreed to.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, rich homie said:

Okay but the only reason people want a forfeiture is they want a team to punish for what is going on and to make it simpler for the NFL. Realistically it screws less teams to just have the game taken off the schedule and deal with a potential playoff implication then than to just give away free wins. Also it completely removes culpability from the NFL for having a stupid plan. You know the same NFL that forced a team to fly halfway across the country when they knew they had positive tests and put even more players and coaches at risk because they can’t get the concept of an incubation period 

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It will also start affecting bottom level teams.  It isn't hard to imagine teams that have 1 or 0 wins start to "forfeit" in the race for Lawrence.  And would be so easy to do.

Have the league take a two week window off.  then restart.  The next time it happens, drop out the bottom level teams and adjust the schedules to have the remaining teams still play who is on their schedule.  The NBA and NHL did it.  The NFL can too

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

you want a W  just so "your team" can move on up in the standards. Congrats. I understand.

lol trust me, that happening would NOT be good for my team and you’re on our schedule.

We’re realistically competing for a wildcard spot. So giving the AFC South teams a +2 in the win column is a gigantic advantage.

Just now, BayRaider said:

And I would hope these NFL players are massively quarantining from the elderly, which they probably are. 

Given the thread you're in, I don't know what would lead you to believe this. What we just got is clear proof that these players are NOT quaranting and NOT taking the virus seriously at all, and the implicit acceptance of this behavior is frankly just flat out dangerous.

I'll say again, what happens when/if the Patriots get another positive in the morning? You think the NFL is gonna say ok, they good. Or will they look at the situation in Tennessee and shut it down? When they shut it down, can that game be moved? When it's moved what other team will be effected? Should they just get a loss because they knowingly played a game with possibly infected players due to the incubation period of the virus. 

What if down the road when other players test positive, and they will. The NFL just says ok, season over we are GIVING the division titles to these teams, congrats and based on records these 2 teams play in the now conference championship with Super Bowl immediately following the next week and putting those teams in a bubble.  Everyone else, thanks for playing in 2020. Not fair but hey best we can do. 

That would be totally empty and terrible. 
Awarding wins or losses should be the last thing the league wants to do. It would cheapen any championship. 

Oh yeah, the NFL was dumb and didn't have nearly enough foresight in its planning for the season. However, the fact of the matter is that in this case, the NFL clearly and rightfully shut down the Titans, and I don't blame the Titans or any of their players for the initial positive cases, although I don't know how they originally got it, so I will refrain from passing judgement. The difference is that the Titans themselves are clearly and knowingly getting together and ignoring these orders despite the number of positive cases that had to postpone a game.

If the Patriots get another positive test soon, I won't call for their heads, because they haven't been shut down yet and they aren't willfully breaking orders and knowingly exposing themselves to COVID

3 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

You act like it is the Bills and NFL fault for this....This is a TITANS issue and had they followed the guidelines like the other 31 teams this wouldnt be an issue.....A 3rd round pick is garbage, you get a depth player at that but your putting at risk an entire NFL season. This isn't deflategate, taping practices, pumping fake noise in to the crowd, this is a virus that is contagious and had a set guideline to follow and the front office and coaching staff clearly did not take these rules seriously or they wouldnt put the Bills and NFL in this situation. It is the Titans to blame and if KC, Ravens, Pats, Steelers, etc want to complain about it then get on the darn phone and start yelling at the clowns who allowed this to happen.

NFL execs are not the issue here its all on Titans for not following the strict guidelines that both the NFL and NFLPA agreed to.

Nobody says it’s the Bills fault. But it’s more unfair to 

1. the Steelers who lost a bye week and a free win for a game that they already agreed to reschedule..... who are fighting for a playoff spot 

2. the Patriots that are in a divisional race with them who have to watch them get gifted a free win over an undefeated team 

3. the Chiefs who might be fighting with them for a bye week 

4. the Ravens for the same reason as the Chiefs 

5. the Raiders/Chargers/Colts who could be fighting for wildcard spots that 

thats 7 team (potentially more that are getting screwed) through no fault of their own. It’s easier to just cancel the game outright and see what happens for the Bills and Titans at the end of the season than it is for everyone else to get screwed in playoff position because we are handing free wins out. At the end maybe it doesn’t matter. Maybe only the Bills get screwed instead of potentially half the conference. Maybe you have to rectify it with a reschedule or “win and your in”

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-chief-medical-officer-doesnt-rule-out-league-pausing-2020-season-amid-rising-number-of-covid-19-cases/

As the NFL works not only to reduce the spread of COVID-19 between infected players but investigate potential team violations of COVID protocols, it's not out of the realm of possibility that the league could put a hold on the entire 2020 season. Asked Wednesday on NFL Network whether a temporary pause to the regular-season schedule is an option amid continued outbreak in Tennessee, as well as additional COVID cases in Las Vegas and New England, the NFL's chief medical officer confirmed as much.

"We've said all along every option's on the table," Allen Sills told Judy Battista. "We've never taken any option off the table, which includes some type of pause or reset or any other type of alternative arrangements."

Sills continued by saying that the NFL is currently focused on reviewing protocols and team-by-team situations while touting the research already compiled since the league instituted COVID standards during training camp.

"Let's also keep in mind we've got nine to 10 weeks of data now, with over 400,000 tests, and we've had about 83 positive cases," Sills said. "And in the overwhelming majority of those cases, we've not seen transmissions. We've only seen it occur now in Tennessee, and possibly in New England ... We've said all along, we know this is going to be hard. This virus is a relentless opponent, it needs only a small crack. And even 90 or 95 percent compliance with our protocols is not enough. That's not a passing grade, because it still leaves a bit vulnerable."

The schedule itself, of course, has become vulnerable in the wake of the latest positive tests, hence the earlier confirmation that a season pause might eventually be in order. Both the Titans and Patriots, who are battling multiple COVID cases, may or may not be able to take the field for their Week 5 games this weekend now that their facilities are closed.

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Nobody says it’s the Bills fault. But it’s more unfair to 

1. the Steelers who lost a bye week and a free win for a game that they already agreed to reschedule..... who are fighting for a playoff spot 

2. the Patriots that are in a divisional race with them who have to watch them get gifted a free win over an undefeated team 

3. the Chiefs who might be fighting with them for a bye week 

4. the Ravens for the same reason as the Chiefs 

5. the Raiders/Chargers/Colts who could be fighting for wildcard spots that 

thats 7 team (potentially more that are getting screwed) through no fault of their own. It’s easier to just cancel the game outright and see what happens for the Bills and Titans at the end of the season than it is for everyone else to get screwed in playoff position because we are handing free wins out. At the end maybe it doesn’t matter. Maybe only the Bills get screwed instead of potentially half the conference. Maybe you have to rectify it with a reschedule or “win and your in”

I completely agree it is not fair, but how can you say it is fair for the Bills to have to play week 18 while those 5 other teams you just mentioned have an opportunity to have an extra week to prepare for the playoffs while the bills have to play a game because titans front office and coaching staff cant get their act together? The entire situation is going to be at a disadvantage no matter what, the NFL and NFLPA put in standards and guidelines to keep this season afloat. Why was it so hard to just sit down at home and wait a week, why didn't the coaching staff tell these guys how serious it can be for the league and this organization to make sure they didn't practice. All in all Titans front office put the league in a situation that could have been avoidable and if you think that the players went out on their own to run drills your wrong as more coaches popped up on that list to so they were clearly involved in the work outs. Its just common sense outbreak you isolate and workout by your self, would it have cause some disconnect on the field absolutely but then again no preseason and 32 teams went right at it on week 1 and were able to get through it. Yes you can call this game a postponement and see how the season unfolds and if no other outbreaks happen I say the game is a forfeit based on the incapability of not following the guidelines. If other teams have outbreaks like the titans then they extend the season and whatever games got cancelled play week 18 but if its only 1 team issue with multiple players (10+) then you have to chalk it up as a loss and move on from it because of the illegal practicing that prevented the ability to play on Sunday.